No announcement yet.

Dusting Magnetic Chuck Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What model is your K.O. Lee grinder? I am buying one and will probably have questions and I'd love to have someone to correspond with if you're willing.

And when I got my first SG I got a decent Walker chuck from the honest to God real Al Babin and had to grind it in. The K.O. Lee instructions said to grind the bottom of the chuck just to cleanup first, then to do the top. And they said you HAVE to use coolant. I rigged up a 5 gallon bucket with a garden pond pump. Finally, when you are done, put 5 identical blocks on the mag chuck. I per corner and 1 in the middle. Then grind all 5 with the same wheel height. Debur with a smooth hard stone (the edges) and measure them with a tenths mic. Lots of mechanical problems will manifest in this simple test.

metalmagpie
    Last edited by metalmagpie; 04-24-2020, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by metalmagpie View Post
      What model is your K.O. Lee grinder? I am buying one and will probably have questions and I'd love to have someone to correspond with if you're willing.

And when I got my first SG I got a decent Walker chuck from the honest to God real Al Babin and had to grind it in. The K.O. Lee instructions said to grind the bottom of the chuck just to cleanup first, then to do the top. And they said you HAVE to use coolant. I rigged up a 5 gallon bucket with a garden pond pump. Finally, when you are done, put 5 identical blocks on the mag chuck. I per corner and 1 in the middle. Then grind all 5 with the same wheel height. Debur with a smooth hard stone (the edges) and measure them with a tenths mic. Lots of mechanical problems will manifest in this simple test.

metalmagpie
      Mine is an S718 HG. It came with the B&S chuck. the chuck surface had some nasty nicks in it but worked fine.

When I was restoring the machine I brought the chuck to a local machine shop to have them grind and clean it up after I milled about .020 of the surface. They did it on a slightly larger grinder that had coolant. He did both top and bottom sides. I think he flipped it twice.
      I never touched the table. It still had the fancy factory lace pattern that KO put on a lot of their older machines. Not sure what they call that. It's not a scraping or flaking. More like something you would get by rubbing an abrasive rubber eraser on the iron. Strictly decorative I believe.
      I dusted it in after I mounted it, but that was about 20 years ago. I'm going to do it again. I went with a 7 point test because there were some discrepancies I found around the center of the chuck.
      If you have any questions about these machines you can PM me.

JL....................

Comment

so did you grind the chuck in the meantime? i wonder if you relieved the brass strips.

Comment

Originally posted by dian View Post
          so did you grind the chuck in the meantime? i wonder if you relieved the brass strips.
          No, not yet. I just got the wheel a couple days ago.
          Now I have to get myself in the mood to spend the better part of the day doing it.
          There are no brass strips on my chuck, leaded segments.

JL................

Comment

Working...
          X