No announcement yet.

Old technology re-prints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gramps: Seems to me one defination of a well educated, knowledgeable person is one that can handle things others can't and do it safely. By that definition you dont need no standarized tests to show we , as a group, have lost ground. Forbidding the old materials is protection for dummies.

The modern concept is that letting people buy and use what they want is like putting a 45 pistol in the hands of a idiot. And what gets me is that people want more protection from the natural elements (lead, cyanides ect) instead of knowledge of how to handle them.

Just as knowledge snow balls (grows expotentialy) so does ignorance. I carried a pocket knife to school in most states west of the mississippi river (Except Calif, where the kids were not allowed to have one). Today kids get in trouble (example 9 year old nieghbor) for having empty .22 brass in his pocket at school. And no he DID NOT show of, just pulled a hnky out of pocket and brass was there. lol, teachersays, whats that? Kid explained and was in trouble!!!!. Teacher did not know what it was . Who is the more educated? teach or child?
    Steve

Comment

Doc,
      As a kid I also brought pocket knives to school, wasn't into guns then or now, so I didn't carry any empty brass. Yes I know a bit about it because I do some machining for a very close gun collector friend. Nothing against em just don't care to own any other than my varmint gun.

Here's the problem... as I see it. When I was a kid the kick your ass law was in affect if you got caught at school doing something wrong, but that wasn't my real concern as a kid. I had respect for others and never thought once about using my knife other than to cut some "thing" and not someone. The very few fights I had when I was a kid were settled with fists and not weapons. The anecdote about a teacher being ignorant about the dangers of empty brass may have another bend. I don't know the details of your story, but I do know that as a teacher I have the responsibility to report things like knives and ammo that I see or am told about. By law while I have these kids in my care I am acting as their parent to protect their rights. For every story that hits the newspaper about a kid getting expelled for bringing a butter knife to school, their are the cases that don't get publicised where a kid brought something truly dangerous to school. This is my 6th year teaching. In that time I've been threatened by a 6'5" 250 lb football player who was going to punch my lights out...and then claimed I shoved him, i had an 8th grade student bring a loaded hand gun to school, and worked with a friend who took an ammo box from a kid that had live blasting caps in it. And I work in a small very nice school. Not one you would call a dangerous school with a lot of thugs.

Once I had a kid bring a meat cleaver to school. We were doing a Rube Goldberg project and he wanted to use the cleaver in his project to start the action of the Rube goldberg device by having it cut a string. Had I not known the kid, and trusted his character, I could have gone nuts about the knife, and gotten the kid in a pile of trouble. Instead I let him use the knife I stored it in my office for the duration of the project, and sent him safely home with it at the end. He's now in college at a very good engineering school.

Not all of us are ignorant, and some of us have common sense. There are still good teachers and good students out there, they just don't always get the press.

Matt

Comment

I have purchased nearly a dozen books from Tech003 on Ebay. The books are brand new, nicely packed, promptly shipped and cheaper than in HSM.

Jeff

Comment

I was told a while ago that the internal combustion engine had really finsihed it's evolution at the end of WW II, that the HP per weight ratio was at it's best. I remember the Chrysler Turbine Car back in the early 60's it could run on anything that was liquid and burned. Which meant that we could get 40 miles to the gallon on Moonshine. That would give drinking and driving a whole new meaning.

How we have done so well, taking the chances, following a dream, helping your country during a crisis.

We have much technology that hasn't been used yet, and the knowledge basically sits on a shelf until the next crisis.

As far as man flight to Mars, if we can do it with Moonshine, that would be great.

Jerry

Comment

I too have many of the Lindsay manuals, they are great for a historical value as well as how to do or build something.

Jerry

Comment

Jerry, Who made the turbine that ran in the Indy 500 for a couple of years that was sponsored by STP? I was told by a mechanic once that it was by Mack Truck Co., by I have never seen anything to confirm or deny it.

Comment

I've bought a whole stack of books from Lindsay. Some's useful, some isn't. All of it is entertaining. So far everything by Hasluck has been of great value.

Something to keep in mind with machining: If it removes metal in such a way that you can control it, it's useful to know. If I need to bore a really precisely located set of holes, I can use buttons the same now as they did then.

Sure, production shops have changed. I doubt you'd see many people using buttons in a modern job shop. With the tools now available it wouldn't be cost effective. But if you're not worried about taking your time, the older methods work just as well as the newer ones, albeit slower.

Do use common sense,though. I've got that book on electroplating, too. Thank goodness for OSHA! Some of the stuff in there is downright scary. But it's still good knowledge to have.

Tom

Comment

Al,
                  Mack at Indianapolis? Haven't heard about that, though Cummins ran a turbocharged diesel car in 1950, then again in 1952 -it set a new lap record and qualified on pole position but didn't last the race.
                  Another truck-related car was the Faegol. Lou Faegol built buses, and had one of his bus engines (OHC, 3-valve heads, designed by Ed Winfield) powering a car in 1948.

Here is a bit of info on the gas turbine cars that ran at Indy - from 'Design and Development of the Indy Car'.

Some time in the mid 1950's a group of Boeing engineers installed one of their 175hp gas turbines in a Kurtis race car and tested it briefly on the Indy track. (I didn't know that Boeing made engines).

In 1961 or '62 John Zink sponsored another Boeing powered car, 375hp. Unsucessful.

1966 - Jack Adams tried a GE turbine, unsucessful, but it impressed Andy Granatelli (STP).

Granatelli had been involved with Indy since 1946 but wasn't getting far with his 4WD Novi-powered cars, so he purchased a P&W gas turbine designed for a helicopter - 550hp, 260lbs, and had a new 4WD car designed for it. Granatelli got financial backing from Studebaker (he was an executive of Studebaker corp.)
                  In 1967 it dominated the race, leading up until the 197th lap, when it went out with failure of a $6 transmission bearing.

1968 Granatelli had 3 new 4WD cars built by Lotus. Set a new lap record of 171.95mph (159mph thru' turns, over 200mph on straights) but 2 of the cars dropped out with fuel pump failure and the other (Graham Hill) hit the wall. Two other teams built turbine powered cars for 1968, but none of these raced.

Gas turbines were effectively banned after 1968 - they had their engine air intakes limited to a max. of 12 sq. inches and they couldn't be made competitive under these restrictions.

Interesting to read how the STP cars managed to set their high qualifying speeds - the turbines were set to "idle" at 80% of full speed - this gave them a strong, lag-free jump of power coming off the turns. This meant the driver had to brake very hard before every turn (like braking with the throttle still down). The brake pads only lasted a few laps and the brake fluid had to go through a cooling radiator - but it did allow them to set high speed qualifying laps. Idle settings were lowered to 20-40% for the race.

Comment

Thanks! I had thought that the Mack mechanic was feeding me a line. I remember listening to that race on the radio--you could certainly tell when the STP car came past the microphone!! Isn't it absolutely amazing how the "Establishment" in the auto racing community has shut down certain inovations over the years? If they had not shut down the STP cars the following years by restricting the intake area, we may be driving turbine powered cars today that would run on cheap kerosene or maybe even Moonshine and avoid our dependence on OPEC!!

Comment

Working...
                    X