Old technology re-prints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old technology re-prints

Has anyone on this list read any of the Lindsay re-prints of some of the ancient textbooks on machining and are they informative?

Al

Only if you don't already own the books. Or are not interested in the subject. They have some great books. A little pricy, but what the hell, we can't all be Canadians and good lookin'!

Comment

Yes, and yes.

Comment

Amazing what those old guys managed to get done, and without computers and c.n.c.

We beat the Japs, and the Germans twice working that way.

The machinist of today has things really easy. Just draw it on Mastercam, watch it test run itself, download to the machine.

No boring heads, corner radius mills, angle cutters, and all done in half or less setups.

Lindseys books show very informative techniques that even an old experienced half arsed machinist can admire.

I have amazed myself, and co-workers using some of the old setups.

kap

Comment

So, you would agree that this "old" technology, like "scraping babbit bearings" and such is still valuable knowledge to have?

My Grandparents knew a lot about herbs that would cure various ailments they had learned from the Cherokees but that knowledge died with them, because none of their children took the time to learn it and pass it on.

Comment

This may fit in here...
            A friend sent it to me.

How did we survive???

I Can't Believe You Made It! If you lived as a child in the 40's, 50's,
            60's, or 70's. Looking back, it's hard to believe that we have lived as
            long as we have.
            As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.
            Riding in the back of a pickup on a warm day was always a special treat.

Our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paint. We
            had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors, or cabinets, and when
            we rode our bikes, we had no helmets. (Not to mention hitchhiking to
            town as a young kid!)

We drank water from a garden hose and not from a bottle. Horrors!

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then rode
            down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running
            into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home and play all day, as long as we were back when the
            streetlights came on. No one was able to reach us all day. No cell
            phones. Unthinkable

We played dodge ball and sometimes the ball would really hurt. We got
            cut and broke bones and broke teeth, and there were no law suits from
            these accidents. They were accidents. No one was to blame, but us.
            Remember accidents?

We had fights and punched each other and got black and blue and learned
            to get over it.

We had cupcakes, bread and butter, and drank sugar soda but we were
            never overweight we were always outside playing. We shared
            one grape soda with four friends, from one bottle and no one died from
            this.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo 64, X-Boxes, video games at all,
            99 channels on cable, video tape movies, surround sound, personal cell
            phones, Personal Computers, Internet chat rooms.
            We had friends.
            We went outside and found them. We rode bikes or walked to a
            friends home and knocked on the door, or rung the bell or just
            walked in and talked to them. Imagine such a thing. Without asking a
            parent! By ourselves! Out there in the cold cruel world! Without a
            guardian.

How did we do it?
            We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms and although
            we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes, nor did
            the worms live inside us forever.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who
            didn’t, had to learn to deal with disappointment .
            Some students weren’t as smart as others so they failed a grade
            and were held back to repeat the same grade.
            Horrors! Tests were not adjusted for any reason.

Our actions were our own.
            Consequences were expected. No one to hide behind. The idea of
            a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of. They
            actually sided with the law, imagine that!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem
            solvers and inventors, ever. The past 50 years has been an explosion
            of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and
            responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all. And if
            you’re one of them.
            Congratulations!

gramps

Comment

We put a man into space in the era of tubes and early transistors and computers required building to be stored in.

I think this feat was done by the displaced engineers of the A.V. Ro company, the people who brought us the AVRO Arrow.

In the 60s and the 70s air crews flying at night used charts and a sextant to findout where they were, there was no GPS then.

There have been many advances, but the go out and hammer some hot steel into something you want. It does a lot more for you than any machine can.

Jerry

Comment

I have purchased many of the Gingery books from Lindsey. Most are informative and a very good reference. I purchased an electro plating book from them. OK as a history book but life threatening as a how to. Use good judgement when viewing some of these old texts as "how to" and not just fun reading.

Gramps, I'm old enough to have seen the moon walk on TV when my parents made us sit and whatch it in front of the B&W tube set. Now I'm corresponding with you on a black box that fits in my lap, and has more computing power than probably all of the Apollo launches put together.
                I'm glad times change, and we find out that lead paint is bad for our kids, asbestos will harm your lungs, and too much sun will give you skin cancer. Otherwise my mom and dad would still be smoking camels,my old boss would still be degreasing metal parts with 111TCE and I'd be drinking ground water with the stuff in the water.

How'd we survive? Just plain lucky I guess.
                Matt

Comment

Well, one thing for sure: Gingery's series on building your own metal working power tools from scratch is very good reading. If I could get away with setting up a foundry in my back yard without being hauled to court, I'd certainly try some of his projects.

Comment

Techtchr, a disposable pocket calculator from the dollar store has more computing power than the Apollo guys had at their command! In many ways I think we've become a nation of weenies. Rumour has it that Bush is going to call for a Kennedy-esqe mission to put a man on Mars before the end of the decade. Hope so, we need something like that to keep our brains working.

------------------

Comment

I've bought a few of Lindsey's reprints. They are fascinating reading in general, and usually contain some ideas that will help you save time or do an impossible job someday. One book that I refer to often is, "Standard and Emergency Shop Methods" By Colvin and Stanley. This book is hard to put down, I've read it through several dozen times and still find things I missed.
                      I don't know if Lindsey still has it though.
                      Also useful are those "Shop Notes" partial reprints of reference books, where he printed only the most pertinent parts of larger books.
                      I also refer to "Toolmaking, 1916" from time to time. Very informative.
                      In general Lindsey's books are reasonably priced and I've only had great service from them. Compare their prices to Amazon.

Hope this helps.

Comment

On Ebay check out tech003 these guys got some books and not just Lindsay's.I do like the books pertaining to other peoples experiences in things like casting it really saves time by answering some of the questions that could only be learned by expierment. On a different note when I was a child I can remember if you cut up in school you would get your but whipped in class and when you got home you would get it again.I guess what I am saying is back then we had parents instead of friends.
                        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I have enjoyed a number of Lindsay's books. You get what you pay for with them. Great historical insights as the other fellas stated. I am in AWE of the historical note in "Bentley BR2". They were flying Aero engines that had only had 15 hours between overhauls. Bentley doubled the power output AND made them more reliable. Guys I knew thought they were deified for making color viewgraphs on Powerpoint.

Comment

Tuckerfan, Bush's new space exploration plan that I heard was not to Mars, but to the SUN! yep, that's right... the sun. Much more critical to earth's survival. He said we could land a mission at nighttime and as long as they lifted off before the next morning they'd be safe. I think they're gonna bring Al Gore in as a special consultant (that's why he declined another presidential bid).
                            Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

I'm with you gramps. Society often thinks it's advancing, when in reality we're going backwards in terms of quality of life.
                              Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Working...
                              X