Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old mart
    replied
    There was a shop on ebay in the last couple of years selling a large quantity of old stock Stubbs files. Stubs British made files were in the top echelon of files along with the USA Nicholson brand. I bought several small job lots of mixed files and am very pleased with them.

Leave a comment:

• thaiguzzi
    replied
    I was under the impression, along with the Swiss, that the Portuguese are right up there in the upper echelons of top file makers.
    I had a couple of these given to me a few years ago, top top top notch quality, certainly the finest that i've ever used in normal hand file sizes.

https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catal...-Feteira-Files

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    I used to like the American files , when they were made in America. That was a few decades ago. I don't believe in throwing good money after bad, so now I use genuine Swiss files. Because I am one of those hard working folks everywhere, I can't afford to reward management for screwing us. Therefore I buy Swiss, or I go on eBay and buy used antiques.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    I had some new US brand files.... They were dulled just by filing on some soft steel. Dulled as in there were marks on them where the file teeth folded over.

Sorry I can't send them to you so you can use them, I got rid of them in the scrap. But you did not miss much. Probably worked OK on balsa wood. US brand, but made in Mexico or somewhere other than US.

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

Those would be older ones. The old ones are quite decent. not usually quite up to Swiss standards, but quite decent. .
    I did get a chuckle out of that. Fin Jerry cant back off. I like that. JR

P.S. Because you dont like american file steel files.

Simpson File or so. And many others.

I am a Metal File fool... JR

Last edited by JRouche; 04-24-2020, 03:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Originally posted by JRouche View Post

Hang on Jerry. You do know I am a File Affish right? I have a large assortment of American Files new in package.

I dont try to Dis the hard working folks wherever they are. JR
    Those would be older ones. The old ones are quite decent. not usually quite up to Swiss standards, but quite decent. New ones are often pretty nasty. A few are OK , more likely by accident, someone screwed up and made them right.

It's not hard working folks, it's nearly always management that messes up the works..

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    Yep, makes you understand the idea of filing as a method of shaping a part..... It actually works with a good file, unlike the pre-blunted ones sold by american "manufacturers" (actually now just warehouse operations for soft "files" made by the cheapest available workers)
    Hang on Jerry. You do know I am a File Affish right? I have a large assortment of American Files new in package.

I dont try to Dis the hard working folks wherever they are. JR

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Yep, makes you understand the idea of filing as a method of shaping a part..... It actually works with a good file, unlike the pre-blunted ones sold by american "manufacturers" (actually now just warehouse operations for soft "files" made by the cheapest available workers)

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    Originally posted by JRouche View Post

Me too. Specially when you have a file that cuts JR
    I remember the first time I tried my Vallorbe files WOW what a different world! I had to learn a lighter touch or else they would take too much.

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
    AAahhh I do love me some good filing....
    Me too. Specially when you have a file that cuts JR

Leave a comment:

• old mart
    replied
    If you get rid of the lot, there will come a time when you will regret it. Best to keep just one set.
    We always used the genuine ones at work, the no2 cut. Trying the next coarser grade was a disappointment, as they were crap, I still have some of those. They also did a harder grade with yellow paint on the handles, they were supposed to last longer when fettling anodised aluminium.

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    AAahhh I'm jealous! Beautiful Swiss files! Yes, I have some that I paid a week's wages for, they are worth every penny.... best files I'll ever have. But YOU have hit the gold mine! Lucky you! I do love me some good filing....

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    If you use a good Swiss file, you will discover a new world.

They remove metal with no effort. It seems as if you can just lay the file on the part and it is already cutting. Unquestionably the best files I have ever used.

I have a fair number of them, but you have the mother lode.
    I agree, and I try to always use a file like you should.

The Big Fattys? I had no idea the same company was making large ones too. I think there was a hundred of those in the mix. Trying to keep them rust free out here towards the Coast.

I dont blind bet on a pallet. This one was 3x3, small. And all these files popped out. I like the larger ones. And yes, they are just as sharp as the blue pak ones.

I do in-fact love files and file work. JR

Click image for larger version

Name:	1-2.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	1870543

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    If you use a good Swiss file, you will discover a new world.

They remove metal with no effort. It seems as if you can just lay the file on the part and it is already cutting. Unquestionably the best files I have ever used.

I have a fair number of them, but you have the mother lode.

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    Close ups?! LOL. No thanks. Here are some of the standard blue packs. The larger ones I dont have in pack. They are still sharp as heck. These lil ones might be good for a watch makeers. After all even though they say USA on them they are all stamped European. Swiss or Sweden and Germany. Good Metal!

Nice files but I have a die filer

Id rather have a good de-burring tool to be honest. JR

Click image for larger version

Name:	blue packs gorbet.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	2.39 MB
ID:	1870535

Leave a comment:

Working...
X