Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Plague profiting

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OT: Plague profiting

    Now that the panic phase has just about passed and most people are in the "if I don't get out soon people will die" phase, it seems that corporations are trying to to make a buck out of this lock down. Commercials are all about how these companies are here to help you IE: positioning themselves to make big sales after people get out and about etc. Too be expected in these days of low corporate morality but the worse one I have seen yet is a new low budget movie that has shown up called "Corona Zombies" Now I know after drink a few Coronas you may act a bit like a zombie and may be willing to eat someones brains to kill the taste in your mouth but an exploitation film profiting from the suffering of others is about as low as anyone can go.

    Now if it was "Machinist Zombies" about men in their shops so fixated on what they are making that they have tuned out the world that would be reasonable, oh wait that is just us. Sorry just forget it.


    P.S. if I don't get a hair cut soon people WILL die.😩 Seriously it is driving me nuts!
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

    Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

    Southwestern Ontario. Canada

  • #2
    Just use the drill press without a hair net. It will be a lot shorter in no time. And free, too!
    Kansas City area

    Comment


    • #3
      I have been cutting my own hair for couple of years, 9mm on top and 6mm on sides.. maybe 3/8” and 1/4” for imperial heads.

      And barbers, hardware stores and pretty much everything else than pubs/restaurants and schools are open in here.
      Location: Helsinki, Finland, Europe

      Comment


      • #4
        I mail ordered a set of barber's clippers and a selection of spacers yesterday. My good wife is going to become my barber, but I doubt very much that am going to become her barber. I don't have much hair left on top anyways, but the sides and back and the length of my beard are beginning to make me look like a wooly caterpillar.
        Brian Rupnow
        Design engineer
        Barrie, Ontario, Canada

        Comment


        • #5
          RE: haircuts... My mom (87) reports that her hair dresser is opening up for "select customers". The hair dresser assured her that it was totally legal and on the up and up. The instructions are to wait for a phone call with the time and place. Park in the back. Don't come in if anyone is watching. Everyone will be wearing masks. Cash only.

          A cut and perm is serious business to some folks.
          At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

          Location: SF East Bay.

          Comment


          • #6
            Tracy, the Shop Wench, has been cutting my hair for years. She does the top, sides, and back, then I finish off the parts I can see to the way I want it to look. It works out pretty well. Never could get the girls in a hair salon to do anything but a hideous mess.
            Kansas City area

            Comment


            • #7
              My regular barber, who has been cutting my hair and trimming my beard for over 30 years is a great guy. Every time I go in, he asks me how I want my hair cut, and I always tell him to cut it so I look just like Elvis. This always gets a good laugh.--Jeez, you've got to be as old as my barber and I to know what Elvis looked like.
              Brian Rupnow
              Design engineer
              Barrie, Ontario, Canada

              Comment


              • #8
                Maybe 15-20 years ago, when I was still actively in the singles "market", I got an email from a woman who lived in an apartment nearby, and we agreed to meet. I happened to go to the library and a woman there seemed to recognize me and called my name. It was she! I rarely went to the library, so this was quite a coincidence. A day or so after that first meeting, I went to her apartment, where I noticed she had a barber chair in the living room. She said she was currently not working and she cut hair as a side job. We went for a walk around the neighborhood with her little dog, Boozer, and returned to her place. She asked me if I would like a haircut, and I said, "Sure!" So I got in the chair and she began snipping and using a straight razor, and we talked some more. She told me she had just recently been released from a psychiatric hospital! A little unsettling with her holding a sharp razor on my neck. When she finished, she asked me to give her $20, which I had not expected, but I paid her. There was no mutual attraction, so I never saw her again.

                I only get my hair cut every three months or so, and when I do, I have it cut fairly short, about like Chuck Todd. My last cut was around February, so it's getting a bit scraggly. I mow my beard with a battery powered electric trimmer, using its shortest setting, about 1/4". It has attachments for maybe 1/2" and 1", but I haven't tried them on the top. Maybe I'll just give myself a "(Gov) Larry Hogan"!
                http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                USA Maryland 21030

                Comment


                • #9
                  Surely one of you can devise a shop made flowbee, with stuff you have laying around. Bonus if steam powered, or Hit N Miss.


                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I remember the commercial for that.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Glug View Post
                      Surely one of you can devise a shop made flowbee, with stuff you have laying around. Bonus if steam powered, or Hit N Miss.


                      I bought a Flowbee in Dec; just before the shutdowns started. By the time we can go out to a barber it will have paid for itself. 1/4" around the edges and 1/2" on the rest.
                      Maybe 10 minutes every couple of weeks. Quicker and cheaper than a trip to the barbershop. It is a bit noisy and I miss all the latest gossip.

                      Mike

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Been cutting my own hair with a $20 corded trimmer for 20 years. It's shocking to calculate the money saved!

                        3/4" on top, tapers for around the ears, sides and back 1/4". Beard gets 3/8" except the chin which gets 5/8 to hide the 2nd chin. Wife gets called from the kitchen to do the line at back of neck.
                        Location: Jersey City NJ USA

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by loose nut View Post
                          Now that the panic phase has just about passed and most people are in the "if I don't get out soon people will die" phase, it seems that corporations are trying to to make a buck out of this lock down. Commercials are all about how these companies are here to help you IE: positioning themselves to make big sales after people get out and about etc. Too be expected in these days of low corporate morality but the worse one I have seen yet is a new low budget movie that has shown up called "Corona Zombies" Now I know after drink a few Coronas you may act a bit like a zombie and may be willing to eat someones brains to kill the taste in your mouth but an exploitation film profiting from the suffering of others is about as low as anyone can go.

                          Now if it was "Machinist Zombies" about men in their shops so fixated on what they are making that they have tuned out the world that would be reasonable, oh wait that is just us. Sorry just forget it.


                          P.S. if I don't get a hair cut soon people WILL die.😩 Seriously it is driving me nuts!
                          Can I offer a different point of view? Put yourself into the shoes of the owners of these companies. Unless you're in some very specific sectors of the economy (grocery, medical supplies, and such) you've most likely seen a significant drop in revenue and may even be completely shut down. You may of had to lay off your employees, and depending on how long this goes on you may even be considering closing your doors for good. Do you not think that you would be spending a lot of time trying to figure out how to get things jump-started again once restrictions are lifted? Get some money flowing, get people working again, try to recover? And you want to complain that they're doing some heavy marketing in that regard? That's not a sign of low corporate morality, that's trying to survive. I thought you would be complaining about price gouging or something like that, not a bit of marketing.
                          Cayuga, Ontario, Canada

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by gellfex View Post
                            Been cutting my own hair with a $20 corded trimmer for 20 years. It's shocking to calculate the money saved!

                            3/4" on top, tapers for around the ears, sides and back 1/4". Beard gets 3/8" except the chin which gets 5/8 to hide the 2nd chin. Wife gets called from the kitchen to do the line at back of neck.
                            I've cut my own hair for over 20 years too. It's not just the money saving, but also the convenience. Plus shorter hair saves money on shampoo too

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by gellfex View Post
                              Been cutting my own hair with a $20 corded trimmer for 20 years. It's shocking to calculate the money saved!

                              3/4" on top, tapers for around the ears, sides and back 1/4". Beard gets 3/8" except the chin which gets 5/8 to hide the 2nd chin. Wife gets called from the kitchen to do the line at back of neck.
                              One like this?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X