4140 P/H vs. 1144 S/P machinability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

Heh heh heh.... just wait till you try 12L14, no matter what you do it gives a mirror finish.
    Yeah, I'm trying to stay away from lead as much as possible. I know there is a lead free version, but it's pricey. And yeah, I realize that I'll probably get more lead exposure in one babbitt pour than a life time of 12L14, but still.

Also, an update on that Dumore number 14. I had to do a bit of grinding on that stressproof due to deflection (~30-1 L/D ratio with no follow) and it left a beautiful finish and was very parallel. Still slow, but credit where credit is due.
    21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
    1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post

Yeah, I'm trying to stay away from lead as much as possible. I know there is a lead free version, but it's pricey. And yeah, I realize that I'll probably get more lead exposure in one babbitt pour than a life time of 12L14, but still.
      I just wash my hands after using lead and don't eat it like peanut butter. It does have its uses. One old timer at work showed my this neat trick of dropping a piece of shot down a screw hole to make it grab the shaft without marring it. He never used loctite.

That's pretty insane with the grinding, not sure I would have had the balls to try that much stickout. Good job!
      25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Working...
      X