Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nice toolpost project for South Bend lathe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice toolpost project for South Bend lathe.

Actually any lathe with lantern post. The good part you can make a lot of it on your lathe, including the slot.
    to use it as shown, I slip it over the main part of lantern post, slide a piece of flat bar thru the slot of the lantern, on the stepped part of the block, then clamp down with the lantern binding bolt. It won't index, position to angle you want and clamp. I use it a lot for radius cutters , grooving tools and turning tools.
    it is approx 2 1/4 square , made of 6061. I got it hard anodized with other parts.
    it could easily be a 2 or 3 way post.. and maybe 4 if you don't need full slot on the 4th side. Click image for larger version  Name:	20200427_160945.jpg Views:	0 Size:	501.3 KB ID:	1871977Click image for larger version  Name:	20200427_161000.jpg Views:	0 Size:	509.6 KB ID:	1871978

Probably how some of the first 4 ways were born.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

yeah, but the tool is still off center from the basic support.
      Take the lantern/rocker dished donut and chuck it, along with the rocker shim, just chuck it.
      then make a donut of appropriate height (thickness) to make a HSS bit sit at correct height.

Comment

It should be made to correct height, it's designed for a 3/8 toolbit, which is a 1/2 slot iirc..
        it has a lot of contact with the top of the topslide, more than the rocker toolpost has.
        I am not seeing what you mean by what you wrote.
        it's not centered on the clamping bolt but neither is a 4 way or a QC post.

Comment

I made my own design QC post on my SB with a lantern post to work with. Some milling work too, but with some other accessories that could also be done on the SB. I have described my SB lathe milling on this board, just search the Shop Made Tools thread.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pix1ToolPostInUse.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	1872001

It was written up in the Feb-Mar 2010 issue of Machinist's Workshop. Last time I checked, Village Press still had back copies. And the latest revision of that article is available here:

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/q...st-lathe-52118

This tool post offers:

Rock solid stability: the post is solid steel with only a central hole for the mounting stud.
          And the tool holders wrap around the post with a very large area of contact: the post and tool holder are like one, solid piece of steel. The central stud places the post in compression for extra stability.

Excellent repeatability: There is a large flat and height adjustment screw that provide repeat positioning that is well better than 0.001" in all three axis.

Fast, One Hand Tool Change: This design offers a very fast tool change. A tool holder can be removed with ONE hand, NO TOOLS, and using ONE continuous motion. The installation of the new tool holder is equally fast and easy. Quick tool changes are the essential idea behind a QCTP and this design offers the fastest possible tool change.

Independent Adjustments: Tool height, angle, position, all adjustments are independent of each other to the maximum extent possible.

No Dovetail: The dovetail of many tool posts offers a very small area of contact between the post and the tool holder. This can have negative effects on the positional accuracy, repeatability, and rigidity. And it is harder to make. This design offers an easy to machine, round post with a generous flat for accurate positioning and rock solid rigidity.

Self Cleaning: There is virtually no place for chips or other debris to hide. The action of installing a tool holder wipes the mating surfaces clean. And if you insist on cleaning them, those surfaces are readily accessible so cleaning is a matter of a fast wipe. There are no hard to reach corners.
          Paul A.
          SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
          You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

It mounts like this. It is 2.15 x 2.4 inch. Slot is .5 deep, top and back are about .35 thick. The screw centerline. is approx .35 out from back, so it does flex a bit while tightening, 3 screws would easily hold a long toolbit..Click image for larger version  Name:	20200429_151627.jpg Views:	0 Size:	707.8 KB ID:	1872379
            Last edited by 754; 04-29-2020, 07:58 PM.

Comment

I find that four way posts work best with only two tools in them. Having four tools can be a bother as the tool immediately anticlockwise to the one in use can get in the way. There are triangular three way posts which would seem to be better as they cannot suffer from tool interference.

Comment

Oldmart I dont understand that. If tools are the right length, you can easily fit 4 on it and use them all, you need it for a lot of jobs.
                this is why I had TNMG holders that had 2 inches of shank on them, they were cut down. Come in very handy..
                I should post a few photos of some special nodded tools and holders. .
                Last edited by 754; 04-30-2020, 03:09 PM.

Comment

I made a 4 way, with a parting tool on one side, I agree with old mart.
                  Mike

Comment

This is what I mean by the tools interfering when the four way is fully loaded. If A is lined up to cut, B can sometimes risk hitting large diameter work, or the chuck.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	_IGP2591.JPG Views:	0 Size:	388.9 KB ID:	1872641
                    Attached Files

Comment

It can but if A sticks out further than B it wont, plus you can index the block past 90 to move A out further for facing.
                      can't say I have run into your situation.. nor that I needed that many tools on a disc job.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
                        I find that four way posts work best with only two tools in them. Having four tools can be a bother as the tool immediately anticlockwise to the one in use can get in the way. There are triangular three way posts which would seem to be better as they cannot suffer from tool interference.
                        Concur.
                        Hate the things.
                        I hate them so much i made a lantern a couple of years ago, and prefer that.
                        But i also like a good QCTP, wedge pull in, or Dickson.
                        But 4 ways, nah.

Comment

Well I would certainly be happy to have a 2.5 to 3 inch 4 way that indexes for my SB9 , last stuff I tried to make a few of just took way to long with single tools. The lack if a dial on the carriage hand-held also holds me back. Time to get my other lathe wired up and running. I need a 7.5hp RPC up here in BC. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200130_114554.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	641.0 KB
ID:	1873133

Comment

Working...
                          X