Cimglide 220 slideway oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cimglide 220 slideway oil

Does anyone have any experience (good, bad or indifferent) with Cimglide 220 slideway oil?

I bought 5 litres of it about two years ago, and have used only about a third of it. I noticed recently that there was a thick gooey brown/black sludge at the bottom of the plastic container, as well as in the oil can from which I applied it to the lathe and mill.

It comes from an American conglomerate called Milacron. The drop-down address menu on the "Contact Us" form on Milacron's website does not allow New Zealand to exist, which perhaps explains their lack of response to my enquiry.

The local agents from whom I bought it tell me that they've had the same problem with the other Cimglide slideway oil (Cimglide 68), and that the sludge is an "iron/graphite" additive. Just shake it up and all will be well...

Graphite as a lubricant I can understand, but iron??? What is that all about?

Am I being unreasonable to be unimpressed by the idea of a lubricant that precipitates its constituents out like this? Should I keep using it or chuck it out and buy something better? There's not a wide selection in small quantities here in NZ.

Last edited by Mike Burch; 04-29-2020, 03:59 AM.

I wouldn't want any iron particulates in my slide way oil.... Mobil vactra #4 for me.

Comment

Originally posted by DennisCA View Post
      I wouldn't want any iron particulates in my slide way oil.... Mobil vactra #4 for me.
      What about all the iron from your ways?

Comment

Milacron makes some very high end metalworking machinery, I wouldn't be concerned about their recommended oils, probably top tier stuff. That said, when you use it up I wouldn't hesitate going to Vacra, its the time tested oil used my many many equipment manufacturers.

I wonder if the graphite is really moly? Moly is a additive in many high pressure lubes / greases.
        Last edited by Sparky_NY; 04-29-2020, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Two years seems like not very long.. for hundred million year old dinosaur juice!

Similar to your question, there are plenty of threads asking about the shelf life of Vactra. And plenty that talk about lumps forming - search for jelly and gel. I don't know to what extent those various issues can be solved by a particular mixing process (using a non-aerating mixing wand, like a Jiffy). Sometimes when stuff falls out of solution, especially due to freezing, etc, mixing will not restore it to spec. It might take a lot of heat to fix, if ever. I remember buying 5 gallons of Vactra around 1997, thinking I would eventually use it, and because it is OIL, and oil CANNOT go bad, right?

The other gotcha, of course, is that way oil is often delivered through calibrated orifices that are prone to clogging. And once clogged, cannot be readily cleaned and restored to proper function. So there is substantial risk using mucked oil in some applications. Kinda like old mills and lathes that have sat unused - probably much better to carefully try and get all the old oil out, backflushing with solvent, etc.

Comment

I consulted on a case in which a large shop received a big batch of defective way oil which then proceeded to damage the slideways on multiple machines throughout the shop. There was a big insurance payout for repairs and downtime, and the insurer went after the oil maker (not the brands mentioned above) to recover their payout. So it is possible for slideway oil to be defective.

Comment

how did you like the 220 viscosity?

Comment

Sparky, thanks for the thought, but I don't think molybdenum disulphide comes out of solution, does it?

Dian, it's the only way oil I've ever used. I don't have any comparison, so I can only say that I am not aware of any problems with the viscosity.

Comment

If I was concerned about the sludge containing some form of iron, I would try a magnet on it to see if it reacts to the magnet. I have spent two weeks in the Cincinnati Milacron factory, for schooling and would agree that they do things right. Good luck.
                  Sarge41

Comment

Sarge, I tried it with a magnet, and there was no attraction that I could see or feel. I guess the reference to "iron" in the agent's response might refer to some sort of ferric/ferrous compound, rather than to metallic iron. Thanks for the tip, anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X