Don't get distracted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't get distracted

Or crap like this happens. Went to the doc, which was a pain in the ass because of COVID. They gave me some cream and pills to take for a few days so it does not get infected.

Oh criminy. That's gotta sting.

So.. how'd ya do it? Was it even a good reason to be distracted? You don't have a TV mounted over the lathe, I hope?

Comment

Well the good news is you still have a finger to show us! My brother was not so lucky on his table saw. Are you a righty or lefty? Maybe even more good news! But good advice nevertheless

Comment

"Don't get distracted" is right up there with "fly cutters are invisible at speed."
        *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Oh ouch. Ja no distraction.
          25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Dang that looks like it smarts. Weren't tempted to go find the chunk and slap it back on there huh?

Comment

I was rat proofing a house(whatever work comes along during this COVID crap), grinding a concrete high spot so I could fit a cover I made for the crawl space entrance, and got distracted by my son, who was helping me. Grinder kicked, and hit my finger.

Comment

Oh man, you went to the doctor for that? No wonder health insurance is so expensive. I would have washed it off and put New-Skin Liquid Bandage on it and went back to work. Burns like fire but keeps it covered. Like an earlier post; "Stupidity should be painful".

Clumsy Bastard.

Comment

I used to skin my knees and elbows like that when I was a kid either from falling off my bicycle or playing tackle football in the street.

JL....

Comment

Grinder rubs are THE WORST! sting like all get out, and heal slowly. seeping all the while. I can't say why, but I'll take a cut over a grinder burn every time.

Keep the wound moist (cream) for the best outcome.

Comment

What would Sir John say? Clumsy bastard?
                      ouch!

Comment

A doctor for that.? youre a woes.Just kidding. You can be so thankful its just a flesh wound. That could be much worse.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                          I used to skin my knees and elbows like that when I was a kid either from falling off my bicycle or playing tackle football in the street.

JL....
                          I remember those days. Mom would wash it with soap and water then paint it with "Monkey Blood". If it was a bleeder, we got a Band-Aid.

Comment

Originally posted by junkaddict View Post
                            I was rat proofing a house(whatever work comes along during this COVID crap), grinding a concrete high spot so I could fit a cover I made for the crawl space entrance, and got distracted by my son, who was helping me. Grinder kicked, and hit my finger.
                            Thought I recognized that rub rash, done that a few times myself. My dad did one worse once, somehow he got his thumb sucked into a hand held belt sander's motor housing and the belt. Took the corner of his thumb off including the nail.
                            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I had a similar mishap a couple of weeks ago. Sliced off a piece of the pad of my left index finger (dominant hand, naturally). The missing divot (skin) was about the size of the index finger nail, but it also included almost as much underlying meaty tissue. Hurt like hell, and bled like crazy ...took hours of pressure to stop bleeding.

I was slicing cabbage to make coleslaw. Sometime in the past, someone (my sister I think) had given us one of those "It slices! ..It dices!" gadgets which had sat unused for a few years. So my wife suggested I try it. It includes a sort of carrier/sled for sliding the food item past the V-shaped blade, but that didn't work very well for the cabbage, as it kind of de-laminates after just a few strokes. So I was hand holding it. I had just, on the previous stroke, formed the thought "...this is too dangerous, I'll just use a knife", but decided to take one more stroke. Bad decision!

I've had numerous cuts over my lifetime, but I couldn't remember ever actually cutting away tissue, other than just skin. So I wasn't sure how this would heal. Would the tissue grow back? Or would the skin just grow back over the empty void?
                              It's been 2 weeks now, and all seems to be filling in nicely. Still a tiny bit tender but only about 2mm left to cover over.

...oh yeah, the coleslaw turned out just fine. Wife finished it up (...with a knife.). Surprisingly there was not a drop of blood in the cabbage. The missing flesh divot took some searching to find; it blended in visually with the light colored cabbage.
                              Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Working...
                              X