No announcement yet.

Don't get distracted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Normally, I would not go to the doctor for something like this, but I was grinding in the rat turd filled entrance of a rat infested house, pic is after I washed it, was covered in dirt when it happened, and don't need an infection. I have enough problems.

Comment

Originally posted by junkaddict View Post
      Normally, I would not go to the doctor for something like this, but I was grinding in the rat turd filled entrance of a rat infested house, pic is after I washed it, was covered in dirt when it happened, and don't need an infection. I have enough problems.
      In those circumstances, Hanta virus is a real concern so please wear a mask. This case has always resonated with me - the victim was cleaning out the basement of his older home so that he could establish a woodworking shop (as I recall):

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/06...kely-isolated/

Comment

I am glad we don't have Hantacirus here - yet. With climate change, I think it is coming, like a lot of other things we never had. Of course you can get all sorts of bad things from a simple cut or even a nick on a knuckle, like encephalitis brain infections, MRSA, etc. It's a wonder any of us are alive.

Fwiw, my favorite band aids are the fabric ones. They are so much better than the plastic or or variations. The band aid brand are good, but so are the others. They seem to breathe just the right amount. They also hold up remarkably well in the shower. Though with the wound like that, you'll want to change them at least once a day, and make sure the edges are sealed to keep dirt from getting in and sticking, etc.

When I get cuts, I try and wash (or pick) all the debris out and then use betadyne to disinfect in and around it. I usually leave it wet with the BD when I put the bandaid(s) on. Anti-biotic goop is probably a good idea, and I use it sometimes - usually adding it a little later. If there is discharge, I squeeze it out and use the anti-biotic. Of course the worst is when you're out in the field and don't have anything.

One thing I have learned is if you get the cut cleaned and closed up good within 10 minutes, you can avoid the formation of scar tissue. When you wait longer, the scar tissue will always tend to be there, be weaker, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Glug View Post
          Fwiw, my favorite band aids are the fabric ones. They are so much better than the plastic or or variations. The band aid brand are good, but so are the others. They seem to breathe just the right amount. They also hold up remarkably well in the shower. Though with the wound like that, you'll want to change them at least once a day, and make sure the edges are sealed to keep dirt from getting in and sticking, etc.
          I too prefer the fabric type. I've also found the Curad brand pretty good. But over time, and from box to box, performance of all brands can vary greatly. The other day I applied the last remaining strip from a CVS box. That was the most tenaciously adhering I've ever seen. After a day's service that included several hand washings it took a good while to get it all off.
          Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Originally posted by tlfamm View Post

In those circumstances, Hanta virus is a real concern so please wear a mask. This case has always resonated with me - the victim was cleaning out the basement of his older home so that he could establish a woodworking shop (as I recall):

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/06...kely-isolated/
            That is from deer mice, and the white footed mouse. I'm working in South Pasadena, CA, neither are here. Problem is Norway rats. They are not Hanta vectors. Place is crawling with them. There was a good 30 access points/gaps in the roof line and foundation. I will be going back to check traps for a few weeks at least. Not my normal line of work, but it's money, and keeping me busy. I picked up another rat job I'm going to go look at tomorrow. I did rats for a company many years ago, so it is nothing new.

Comment

Working...
            X