No announcement yet.

Help with making a cutter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, I'm just that new at using the shaper. So far just plain surfaces. I'd about given up on it due to using lathe tooling because the geometry was in some way subtly wrong and the surface finish was just horrid. The sudden epiphany was seeing some other shaper work on YT and in some threads around here. I dove back in and tried a shear tool for dressing surfaces and could not believe how nice they came out. Darn near felt smoother and looked better than surface ground... I kid you not. I want to learn more and do more with it but I realize that I can't just use lathe geometry blindly like I thought I might.

Any chance of a picture or two? I'm not quite seeing what you describe in my mind's eye. I'm also a bit impressed that the smaller size shapers can hog away a 5/8" wide shaving if I'm thinking right. Or.... just how big is your shaper?
    Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
      No, I'm just that new at using the shaper. So far just plain surfaces. I'd about given up on it due to using lathe tooling because the geometry was in some way subtly wrong and the surface finish was just horrid. The sudden epiphany was seeing some other shaper work on YT and in some threads around here. I dove back in and tried a shear tool for dressing surfaces and could not believe how nice they came out. Darn near felt smoother and looked better than surface ground... I kid you not. I want to learn more and do more with it but I realize that I can't just use lathe geometry blindly like I thought I might.

Any chance of a picture or two? I'm not quite seeing what you describe in my mind's eye. I'm also a bit impressed that the smaller size shapers can hog away a 5/8" wide shaving if I'm thinking right. Or.... just how big is your shaper?
      BCR,
      Shaper is an 8" Boxford, similar or copied from an SB.
      That 90 degree tool in that pic will NOT HOG OFF a 5/8" wide shaving. Tool cutting width is 5/16" without checking and is done very GENTLY, prolly not more than 10 thou DOC per stroke.
      The tool was originally a 5/8" sq shank butt welded HSS lathe tool, narrowed to 7/16" to fit the clapper tool post.
      The most i hog off in steel on my 8" shaper is around 3mm or 1/8" DOC.
      Below are 4 pics of the same nasty steel,
      1 and 2 are hogging it off
      3 and 4 are fine finish with a shear tool.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	june - nov 2014 078.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	1874169

Name:	june - nov 2014 077.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	1874170

Name:	june - nov 2014 063.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	1874171

Name:	june - nov 2014 064.JPG
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	1874172
      Note completely different swarf/chips.
      As you mention, the shear tool leaves such a fantastic finish, almost surface ground, and my crappy pics certainly don't do it justice.

Comment

Originally posted by plunger View Post

I have never made one. I just use a ruler.My height from the crosslide table is 95mm. I must actually make one .This holder I made has no adjusment. Perhaps a weak point. I looked at the iscar cataloque and couldnt find my parting blade holder. I hope they havnt made it obsolete by bringing a better parting blade out.
        Make one.
        One of THE most handy and used accessories your lathe can have as BCR mentioned.
        And super fast, no guesswork.
        Mine works off the cross slide, heavy, large base, all s/steel, very sharp, made from stuff out of the scrap box.

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	1874174

Name:	013.jpg
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	1874175

Name:	20160830_134359.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	1874176

Comment

Thanks Thai'. That answers that.

My main tool holder for the shaper is a Williams shaper specific holder that accepts 3/8" square cutters and which can index to different angles over an entire 360 in about 20 or 24 steps. It's a big burly thing which is very rigid so if I can keep the 3/8 cutter exposure down to smaller amounts like 1/2" or so the rigidity should be there.

And from the looks of your hogging curls I've apparently been babying my Alba No.1 10" shaper.
          Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

BCR,
            those Williams and Armstrong holders are great.
            Nothing wrong with them at all, in fact its a great way to keep your tooling cheap and will do 95% of everything you'll ever need.
            3/8" sq is a nice size, mine takes 5/16" and 1/4", but i rarely use the 1/4" - bit too flimsy for my liking.
            The 5/16" holder i ended up making from one piece of round - just could not get the genuine article in the UK at the time, and i've never chased US versions for an SB or similar because of the postage to here in TH.
            Actually made two, and then shafts for internal keyway work too.

Your shaper being a No. 1 - does it have the Box table support? if so, hog away. If not, careful the table does not sag on big cuts.
            Regards,
            TG.

Name:	june - nov 2014 041.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	1874213

Name:	june - nov 2014 042.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	1874210‚Äč

Name:	june - nov 2014 046.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	1874211

Name:	june - nov 2014 044.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	1874212

Comment

Yeah, mine has the table support. Nice job on those tool holders. I want to do the same to make a slotting cutter for keyways too.

Name:	fetch?photoid=1828919.jpg
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	1874262
              Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Working...
              X