Norton on grinding wheel blotters - whoa! new to me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norton on grinding wheel blotters - whoa! new to me

Was fiddling around looking up grinding wheel blotters and ran across this document from Norton. I'll put the link in below, but basically it says you should never reuse grinding wheel blotters. Now that's something I had never heard of. Especially since I have no idea where to come up with grinding wheel blotters.

metalmagpie

https://www.nortonabrasives.com/sga-...ize-Norton.pdf

Makes sense when you think about it. Presumably the mfrs of wheels do list them in the back of their catalogue. Kind of like using (not) a fresh copper washer when you change the sump oil.

Comment

The reasons mentioned in the description are pretty clear. I have never seen anyone replace blotters every time they put a wheel on the machine. They're usually glued on and probably won't come off all that easy.

JL....

Comment

I read that document as corp-speak for 'make sure there's a blotter both sides and that they are at least the diameter of the flange'. New blotter just means don't use blotters that are torn up, bits missing or have partly come away with the flange. They can come in all sorts of conditions on older/used wheels or if badly stored.
        Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
        Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
        Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Tell that to the blotters glued on. Meh. Cereal boxes work fine for me, that's a risk I'm willing to take.
          21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
          1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

I suspect most any sturdy paper or thin cardboard will do just about as well as the stuff provided with the wheels originally. Naturally, hard, glossy material with no cushioning or frictional qualities would not be a good choice.

I doubt that the paper industry has gone to great lengths to develop some unique product designed just for this purpose.
            Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Cardboard didn't work well for me. It doesn't compress evenly. I could see the back of the stone wobble. I'm using my 24 pound inkjet paper on one. The stuff that came on some recent import stones was closer to lacquered cigarette paper. It was super thin and stiff. Some were missing. I bought a bunch of stones to use with my new Deckel SO clone and an old re-bearing TPG. I even have a cup I can use on the mill now thanks to Joe Pie.

Comment

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
                Tell that to the blotters glued on. Meh. Cereal boxes work fine for me, that's a risk I'm willing to take.
                Yep, that's what I use, no problems at all. Norton don't seem able to fit the blotter centrally....
                Last edited by rotorhead; 05-05-2020, 08:04 AM.
                Chris....

Comment

We used heavyweight watercolour paper in the workshops in work, think it was in a spiral book,
                  mark

Comment

Years ago, I went to a stationery store and got a big sheet of blotter material. Same thickness, texture, look, and feel as the originals. I still haven't used it all up.
                    Ernie

Comment

Years ago when I still used a fountain pen, you could get ink blotters at most banks.
                      http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                      Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                      USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Working...
                      X