Interesting Development in 3D Printing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Development in 3D Printing

I came across this in my stack of promotional e-mails today. The US Army labs at APG have developed a new type of filament for the FFF 3D printers. FFF = Filament Fusion Fabrication. Those are the common and inexpensive thermal types that print with ABS and PLA that many of us already have.

https://3dprintingindustry.com/news/...inters-171038/

I wonder when it may be available on the commercial market. It does not seem like they are making any secret of it. They do say it does require a trip in an oven after printing to attain full strength. But that full strength is something like 15 times what you get with ABS filament and no oven treatment. It does sound promising.
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
    You will find that it has discrete steps.

I'm glad R&D is being invested, looks neat. The future will be exciting.

Comment

Hi,

I've seen a couple youtube videos about heat treating your PLA, PETG, and ABS printed parts to increase the strength of the materials. It's not on that level, but there is a bit of a boost from a trip through an oven.
      If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

I wonder if you could get similar results just mixing pellets of ABS and polycarbonate, then extruding it as filament.

Comment

Working...
        X