I have had turd logs that had better structural integrity
    than my plastic New Holland dashboard, and all they
    cost me is a piece of my mom's blueberry pie to get
    them moving.

-D
    What's dashboard on?

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

Ahem. I don't like them either. I'm just saying "Don't underestimate them" I don't give them any money either. BUT that is a lot different than saying that they build crap -- Its called being honest enough to admit when they do something good. Just like when it was all "jap crap" 40 years ago. Today, the japs build some of the best ball bearings on planet earth. I hate to admit it, but its true. We underestimated them and they ate our lunch. I remember that. I also remember what a bunch of sellouts the American businessmen were.
      I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by tundra twin track View Post

what's dashboard on?
        tc33d

--d
        DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
          I have had turd logs that had better structural integrity
          than my plastic New Holland dashboard, and all they
          cost me is a piece of my mom's blueberry pie to get
          them moving.

-D
          Dude. Seriously. Thanks for the laugh ..... I actually needed that real bad this morning.
          I been grouchy AF lately for some reason, not sleeping real good.
          I never had that problem when I was working.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

Originally posted by epicfail48 View Post
            ............. Does the target audience even need the highest quality? Nope. ...........

THAT is JUST as stereotypical as saying all chinese products are junk and comes from the exact same same mindset.

It plays right into the "home-made" fallacy..... you know, if a $12/hour new hire makes something on a worn out Jet lathe in a machine shop for pay, that is "professionally made", but if a retired master tool and die maker makes something in the garage using a mint 10EE, that is "home-made". And of course "home-made" is a code word for crude and barely functional. It's total BS.

There are home shops in which fine optical equipment is made, home shops making exquisite watches, and home shops making bushings to +-0.020". They are not all the same thing.

Originally posted by epicfail48 View Post
            The hobby grade import stuff works just fine for what it is, low-cost stuff to sell to weekend warrior types. Is it the highest quality? Nope. Does it cost the level of the highest quality? Nope. Does the target audience even need the highest quality? Nope.

I mean, the lines before that one were spelling out the target audience, you just cut that part out. The retired tool and die maker in his garage isnt exactly the weekend warrior type.

Im not digging on home shops, im just pointing out that your average joe who goes out and picks up a benchtop mini lathe as his first machine tool to see how well he can make parts doesnt need a 1942 Monarch 10ee with painstakingly hand-scraped ways and a full quickchange gearbox and power cross slide with a taper attachment and hydraulic following attachment. Sometimes "spins true" and "moves straight and without binding" is all thats needed, and thats what the mini-tools manage. Most of the time

Comment

Said nothing about mini-lathes. You added that.

If someone says "most home shops do not need much accuracy", that person may be right in some cases. The comment is usually followed by some description of "home shop Harry", who is fairly clueless, unable to comprehend, let alone use, good tools. And THAT may be correct in many cases.

The target audience is "home shops". If you pre-define the target "home shop" to be people who use minilathes from HF, or from "Cummins Industrial", that is just circular reasoning..... a chicken and egg situation. They don't "need" better because that is what they are using because they do not need better because that is what they are using....." the snake is swallowing its own tail.

The "location" of the shop is irrelevant. It is the workman that defines what the shop "needs".... or, more accurately, what it can use. The best workmen can use a POS version of a minilathe and get good work out of it. There are things that even skill will not make a machine do, however, Skill does not make bearings better, nor spindles rotate more accurately.

"Need" is a word that may have little meaning here. "Can use" may be better, and "need" may be appropriate in certain cases. But "need" depends on the task.

Steffen Pahlow has his shop in his home, I believe, just to mention one. I expect he could make a minilathe do a lot, but he can make what he actually uses do even more.

Others use the equivalent of a minilathe or 9 x 20 (whether they have worked over the machines they use I do not know). They do very good work, and for what they do they do not "need" better than what they have. But you will never convince me that they could not do even more with better machines, nor that they are not capable of using better machines.

Folks right here on the forum use less than perfect asian machines, and do amazing work. But in general they do not use the cheapest of the chinese imports, they use ones a cut above.

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

Well after 2 months the mini mill shipped. Its supposed to be here on monday. I am happy to have it. Its going to make a nice project for the winter. I ended up buying a CNC 6040z router from e-bay as well to satisfy the needs of a job I need to do. CNC has been a learning experience.
                12x16" Delta 3d printer (Built from scratch)
                Logan 825 - work in progress
                My Blog - http://engineerd3d.ddns.net/
                Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVY...view_as=public
                Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/engineerd3d/?hl=en

Comment

Working...
                X