No announcement yet.

Stirling engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice indeed! What material is the base made of? Looks somewhat like granite ...but not exactly.
    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Have you tried to drive a small DC motor as a generator to see how much power it can produce? It is a beautiful engine, Sid.
      http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
      Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
      USA Maryland 21030

Comment

awesome, thanks for sharing.
        san jose, ca. usa

Comment

Beautiful work! How long did it take you to build it?

The burner looks like a propane one (mini Bunsen). Do you have a picture of fuel source/connections/valves. Small propane canister?
          Last edited by MichaelP; 05-04-2020, 02:14 AM.
          Mike
          WI/IL border, USA

Comment

It sure runs smooth. I'm wondering if there is metallic gauze in the transfer tube, to serve as a regenerator.
            Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Looking good Billy Ray!

Comment

Originally posted by sid pileski View Post

Thanks!
                And when all anodized, it will probably sit on the shelf with all it's brothers, till a show or someone comes over that would like to see it run.
                It looks like your engine was inspired by the "The Hot Air Stirling Engine" by Thorn L. Mayes which was published in HSM in the 1983. I think it was the first Stirling engine published in HSM. I built one about 1985. Yours is prettier than the original.

RWO

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl View Post
                  Very nice indeed! What material is the base made of? Looks somewhat like granite ...but not exactly.
                  That base is a piece of Corian that a fellow at Cabin Fever this year gave me. Makes a nice base. Once the aluminum is black anodized, it should blend in nicely.

The burner is something I made from a $15.00 Bernzomatic torch from Lowes.
                  I used the valve from it and the mixing nozzle. The rest I made up.

The basic design, like I said was in book four of Steam and Stirling engines. The author is Terry Coss.

There is no matallic gauze in the transfer passage.

I have not hooked it up to a motor to see what kind of power it might produce, but I can say that it does not produce much. Probably if I put more heat to it, power would increase too.

Sid

Comment

Another beauty Sid, well done.

Comment

Working...
                    X