Fogging oil for tool storage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fogging oil for tool storage?

Doing some cleaning up in the garage and found some mice had got into some areas they shouldn't have. Some mouse urine caused some rust on a few chucks, and other tooling. They cleaned up with the wire wheel on the grinder ok and except for the permanent staining they will be perfectly usable (nothing I have is museum quality, and that's fine with me)

Anyway, the point of this thread, is that right beside the grinder was a can of engine fogging oil. Right on the front of the can it it says "long term metal protection". Has anybody ever used fogging oil as a tooling storage rust inhibitor? I sprayed a bunch on a rag and wiped everything down with it, and it seems to coat well, with a nice thin film, but time will tell. I'll be the guinea pig and let you know how it works long term.

I did a search, and aside from a few references on PM, there didn't seem to be much out there about its use. There's either a good reason for that......or it's not a well known substitute. I guess some time will tell.

Mice had got into a container of bird seed, and I found birdseed in quite a few drawers of tool boxes around the garage. They got into the drawers on the lathe bench, and made a mess of some drills, and other tooling too.🤬 They pissed on a few of my change gears too 🤬 The chucks were just the first to get cleaned up.

I was going to put my skid steer in a car cover to keep it out of the weather and since the lower portion is all oily I was wondering if mice and rats are deterred boy greasy oily things. My machine shop is in a storage container just for that reason to keep the varmints out. didn't use the old tig welder for a few months and started it up and no fan, the entire inside was fill to the top from a pack rat. Lucky I was able to remove all the stuff and one chewed wire and still worked. alway a problem with my property.
    Ed
    Agua Dulce, So.California
    1950 F1 street rod
    1949 F1 stock V8 flathead
    1948 F6 350 chevy/rest stock, no dump bed
    1953 chevy 3100 AD for 85 S10 frame have a 4BT cummins motor, NV4500
    1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor, king coil-overs,P/S

Comment

I have mice in the shed. Never happened while we had a barn cat there, but she's gone. They have gotten into a lot of stuff, and on all the shelves. I have put out a nice water dish for them.... with tasty antifreeze in it (nothing else can get in the shed but mice, or a very small rat). So far no smell, they must have gone elsewhere, but they definitely have been into it.

Just got done going through all the toolboxes and doing the annual painting of tools with ND30 dissolved in paint thinner. Dunno if it deters mice, but it does tend to prevent rust.
      CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Hmmm, maybe I need to install a garage cat.

I've honestly never noticed the mice in the garage before aside from the trail of birdseed. We do get them in the house, and our resident housecat is next to useless. He'll catch all kinds of stuff outside, but is "offduty" when he crosses the threshold. We adopted a really nice cat a few weeks ago that somebody must have dropped out here (seems way too domesticated for a feral, or stray). He's pretty young, and while he hasn't caught anything yet, he's very much on duty at all times. He was wandering in and around the garage today while I was out there cleaning stuff up. Didn't seem to get too excited about anything, so hopefully the trail has gone cold after they ran out of birdseed lol.

Sneaky buggers though, the birdseed was on the steps next to a bunch of junk. They chewed through the bottom from the junk side undetected, and all winter long I didn't notice as I was just scooping from the top. Wasn't till I lifted the bag to get the last out that I noticed the hole. Since then I started finding it everywhere. I need to make one of those spinning rod bucket traps.

Comment

I like motorcycle chain lube that is the wax type. Sprays out liquid and then leaves behind a nice wax coating. Not messy once dry and comes off easily when you put the tool to work.

Comment

If you have mice and keep anything you want to keep in cardboard boxes, it's only a matter of time when it won't be worth keeping, spray or no spray.

Comment

I had mice go through my storage unit. Someone must have attracted them by storing grain or something. It seemed like they got into Every Single Thing. I'd find mouse turds in open jars of nuts and screws, that were stored in a box. I'd joke that I didn't know where everything is, but the mice do, because they've been through it all. Gotta put your birdseed in some kind of can. And any leaking smell will tend to draw them in. Some say to put a one-way flapper door on your garage, so they can exit - assuming you make progress on keeping them out.

CRC makes great products, and they are well engineered to the specific application. They make quite a variety of anti-corrosion coatings, in different weights and formulations, for different applications and environments (some are sold in drums for industrial use).

I took a look at the application info for that product yesterday, and then the SDS, as compared to 3-36. What you have is a heavier oil, with key anti-corrosion additives. It ain't just oil in a can - those are complex formulations. The app notes make it clear you can use it for general purpose stuff but it is formulated to burn off when you restart the engine, etc. So you might want to reserve it for that.

A great test of this product is right there in your photo - the anvil on your garage bench vise. Those are tortured, usually bare metal, subject to condensation and very prone to rust.

I prefer anti-rust stuff in liquid form, to cut down on waste and allow brush application. Also, cans don't work well in cold.

CRC 3-36 is a very light lube. It penetrates extremely well - even when very cold (a problem for many products). Considering how thin it is, it is surprisingly good at preventing corrosion, even in the vise anvil test. It eventually leaves a dry thin film behind, that film protects well. It has a dye in it, so you can see coverage. Sprays good out of a hand sprayer. It is also dirt cheap - $31 for a gallon at zoro, and free shipping if you hit $50. New customers who sign up for email promos get a discount coupon, 15% IIRC. I've gotten 25% off with no min, usually there is a min. Zoro has a huge assortment of stuff, including tooling. Shipping is fast - there is a distribution center downstate from me.

LPS 3 is another great option, more like cosmoline. Again, it isn't just spray wax. Shelf life is unlimited, but the mfg had to set it at something, so they say 10 years. A gallon is about $60. So very reasonable, especially with discounts. Even better if you can split an order with a buddy. I've written before with tips on how to best apply LPS 3.

Comment

I was told that sound is a deterrent to mice. I have a radio playing in my shop at all times, and so far, so good.
                Also, be very cautious with mouse droppings.
                A couple years ago a good friend went to his cottage, and developed Hantavirus, which was, and is, in most cases, fatal.

Comment

A cat works for about 20 yrs. Mothballs work for a month or so.. I've heard good things about both Boeshield T-9 and LPS-3 but I haven't tried them.
                  25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Working...
                  X