Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WOT I HATE dirty, stained hands and nasty finger nails.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOT I HATE dirty, stained hands and nasty finger nails.

This is my main peeve about doing machine work. I wear gloves when it's cool enough and I've tried the invisible glove route which was a failure because I got some huge blisters after using it every day for a couple of weeks.
    Every afternoon I have to spend 10 minutes at the sink scrubbing the dirt out of my hands, fingers and finger nails. I keep my nails cut short as I can as well.
    Anyone else have this as a pet peeve?

No. Maybe you should take up knitting. I hear that's a pretty clean hobby.

I have all the tools I need for now so I can't offer anything for yours.

Comment

Soaking fingers in warm water with dish soap (dawn) is surprisingly effective. It is also very effective when trying to remove smells from my fingers, like PB blaster (hate that smell). For some reason it works a lot better than repeated washing with the same detergent. Though I still like to dig my fingernails into a bar of soap to clean those.

Other oldsters will remember the TV ad...

Comment

nope, always wear nitrile gloves so no grease, stains or splinters.

Comment

Good shop rated hand cleaner and keeping fingernails trimmed does the job for me. I only wear gloves if I'm soaking things in solvents or doing a lot of really messy oiling work. I don't recall ever using them while running my machine tools or general work on the bench.

But then I'm not working on heavy or farm equipment, dirty cars or other encrusted machinery.
          Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Better than dish soap is Shampoo. It does an amazing job cleaning dirty hands. I carry a small container on road trips. Roadside repairs have been cleaned up with shampoo and a little spit (when I had no water) and wiped off with a rag. Try it.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by challenger View Post
              This is my main peeve about doing machine work. I wear gloves when it's cool enough and I've tried the invisible glove route which was a failure because I got some huge blisters after using it every day for a couple of weeks.
              Every afternoon I have to spend 10 minutes at the sink scrubbing the dirt out of my hands, fingers and finger nails. I keep my nails cut short as I can as well.
              No. I've spent my life doing stuff like this for both personal reasons, and for a living. That's why they have a locker room at work. At home I scrub. Its the nature of it to be a dirty job sometimes. I just spent the last two days crawling around in the mud doing the flower beds at my dad's house. Want to be clean all the time? Maybe become a doctor.

Comment

I'm don't mind dirty hands as that's the norm for what I do,but I hate oil or grease on my hands so will wear gloves when I can.I find Dawn is what I use for hand cleaner only down side you need to rinse a lot to remove all the soap.

Comment

Originally posted by challenger View Post
                  Found a cure that works for me. Hand soap then add borax/boraxo powder. The grit of the borax gets into places the soap can't touch. Rub in then scrub with a brush. Cleans everything except under the finger nails. Cut them short is my only solution.

Comment

ZEP Cherry Bomb hand cleaner

https://www.zep.com/product/zepprofe...l-hand-cleaner
                    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I have exactly the same peeve, can't bear dirty or powdery hands especially with cement or brake fluid, strangely don't mind clean oil, diesel, petrol or paraffin.

I usually work with light goatskin leather gloves, can't stand rubber gloves on my hands at all, never had any safety issues either when operating machinery, as I NEVER try to grip anything moving.
                      Chris....

Comment

you need to take up knitting as a hobby.
                        or golf,
                        delivering pizzas

Comment

Phooey....... You are not dirty until you do scraping and use Dykem HiSpot blue, or the like, Get that on your hands and it does not come off, you are a smurf for a couple days. Super fine pigment sticks no matter what you try to wash with.

It's actually worse than the black goo that you get involved with when you auger out a sink drain. And that stuff sticks also. It's the ONLY reason I use Canode... Canode is horribly poor in nearly every way except cleanup, which is super easy.

Gloves? Well, the thick ones are a pain in every possible way, and the thin ones get holes in them almost as soon as you put them on, so they leak grime which then gets ground-into the skin. I think that is worse than straight-up bare-hands dirt.

Get a gallon of good hand cleaner. One with pumice is the best.

Or take up Mahjong.

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Comment

The secret is to apply a good heavy lotion BEFORE getting your hands dirty. At work, we used to get a skin protectant (can't remember the name, but it came in a yellow, screw top container). Put some on before starting work. At break time, apply some more before heading for the washroom. Don't use soap, use warm water on the hand lotion. Hands come clean and don't chap.
                            Sarge41

Comment

I like GOOP hand cleaner. It will clean about anything off, and has Lanolin to keep your skin from drying out.
                              Kansas City area

Comment

Working...
                              X