Has anyone actually used the Kdenlive video editor? It seems just wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone actually used the Kdenlive video editor? It seems just wrong

I have some more editing to do, the first time I just used "Photos" which does essentially not one useful thing past trim and add together clips. So I got the Kdenlive program.

went through the examples, and the screens in the examples do not look like what I see, the controls do not work like the examples say, and the whole thing just seems totally screwed up.

Now, I am aware that this is likely at my end, somehow, because obviously the program has been updated since the examples, and does not work the same, so I am doing things wrong.

However, all I really wanted to do was zoom in to crop some extra stuff around the edges of the video. Absolutely not one thing worked the way the example video said. The buttons did not do anything, and the zoom frame did not do what was shown.

Does anyone who has used the program know of an updated "how-to"?

Failing that, is there another (hopefully free) program that will do zoom/crop?

I say free, because I would hate to have paid money and received this mess......

I had very little trouble with "Affinity" which I BOUGHT for graphics production (thank you to whoever suggested it), and the help there is also minimal, but at least it worked as shown.

This video editor has a billion controls, and nothing for reference, even the "full manual" is actually wrong in the way the screens look and work.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

What OS? I find "Image Magick" to be the easiest for stuff like zoom/crop even though its ancient by software standards. Try /usr/bin/display or /usr/local/bin/display if you have it installed (the binary is called "display" for some reason)

When it brings up your pic, just click anywhere on the pic and it'll give you a menu box of whatever you might want to do.

I *have* used kdenlive, but that was 20 yrs ago and almost certainly doesn't apply today.

Comment

Is that a video editor?

I have lots of image editors..... I'm looking for a video editor.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

I just downloaded and tried Windows Movie Maker 10 (free edition). It has more features than the Photos app, but still nothing like the previous Windows (Live) Movie Maker that worked on Win7 and maybe Win8. Here is a quick video I made, showing a few of the free features.

And yes that is me playing guitar some years ago.
        http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
        Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
        USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
          Is that a video editor?

I have lots of image editors..... I'm looking for a video editor.
          My mistake, no its a pic editor. I don't have anything current on kdenlive (and evidently they don't either) I ended up switching to dvdstyler (DVD authoring program) and ffmpeg (command-line editor/player). Both work well with hardly any instruction needed although they are complicated and have a zillion options. They can save in any format you like.

Comment

The PRO edition of Movie Maker 10 is only $10. Might be worth it, but it's still probably not as good as the previous versions that worked on XP and Win7. The two features I noticed missing from the free edition are being able to save a project for later editing, and live voice-over recording.

You might also try this, which has a free edition, and the pro is only about $30:

https://www.aiseesoft.com/video-editor/

More ideas: https://filmora.wondershare.com/vide...-croppers.html
            Last edited by PStechPaul; 05-06-2020, 07:53 PM.
            USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Ugh... MM10 wants me to sign up an account with microsoft.... forget that.

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

Well, I kicked Kdenlive so much it finally gave up and did it.

The explanatory videos just did not get through, I guess, because the actual way you do it is not how it seems. You actually do the cropping by expanding the video relative to the frame to get the view you want, instead of reducing the frame to what you want. Big difference.

That point may be obvious to a seasoned user, but it sure was not to this Bubba. I finally found it on my own.

The part of the screen where the size is changed is way across to the left of where it seems you should look, and it is just one tiny entry..... Yeah THAT was obvious! And the explanatory video being about a previous version that does not work the same did not help one bit. Did not even need to do some stuff they explained.

Hey , it got done, and I learned something.

However, the output video was larger than the one I started with, which I found strange.

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

+1 for persistence. Maybe you should write them and tell them about this -- a lot of these apps are written in a way that seems non-intuitive because they are written by programmers and not end users. I can't believe you got through that, I didn't have the patience for it.

Comment

I can be a persistent barsteward on occasion.... that can be good , or it can be bad. I spent the afternoon and evening trying 4 or 5 different free editors, all the ones I found that looked as if they might work. At the end of that I had deleted all but the one as worthless, and so I had to work with it.

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

I use kdenlive on Linux. It works well enough. Like all video editors you really have to learn the nomenclature and workflow to optimize it. One caveat is that it wants to edit the file in memory, so editing a CD requires about 1.5G of memory, and editing a DVD requires about twice the memory that the DVD uses.

Dan
                      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

I tried clicking on KDENLIVE in the list of ten video editors I linked above, and it directed me to VIRTUALDUB. I tried it, and I was able to append some AVI clips, but it does not seem very user-friendly for general editing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	VirtualDub.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	1873612

Here is the link for KDENLIVE:

https://kdenlive.org/en/

Maybe I'll try that a bit later.
                        Attached Files
                        USA Maryland 21030

Comment

The thing with Kdenlive is that the instructive videos do not relate to the program.

There was supposed to be a slider control for the video size relative to the frame, but that never appeared, so I had to manually enter percentage numbers into the tiny location on the "control panel", and had to find that. The slider control was supposed to be right next to the video image, but there was no such animal in sight.

The program works well enough, you just cannot trust the instructions. I rate that as a problem, and I would recommend that you use some other program instead. If I found another program that I could get to do what I wanted, I'd have Kdenlive off the computer double-quick..

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Comment

I use kdenlive on linux also. Not often - so it seems every time I use it I am looking for examples. I am getting better - and it does get easier.

Save your project often if you are doing something complicated. I certainly got it confused when I was cutting and speeding up a bunch of clips. (only time I have had issues so far)

I did a picture in picture recently that worked good.

Comment

Working...
                            X