Stephenson's Rocket--Working Model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stephenson's Rocket--Working Model

I am not really a model train buff. I know that any number of people are, and get great joy from model trains, but they have never really interested me that much. However---I have always been intrigued by Stephenson's Rocket, which was the first or second commercial train engine driven by steam. I was lucky enough to find a 3D model of this train, but it is made in a different software than mine. I can import it, and view it, even take dimensions from it, but I can not change the scale nor manipulate any of the part files. This model has steam cylinders 1.3" in diameter and the large front wheels are 9 3/8" diameter. I may rework the design to a much simpler configuration with 5/8" cylinders and 4 1/2" diameter wheels. I would start out by modeling and building the two engines.
    Brian Rupnow

What format is the file? I have access to several different modelers and may be able to change the format to what you need.

Comment

Following!!!!!
      Brian, scale it down to a standard track size, like 3.5" or 4.75" for where you live. In the UK, they use 5" instead of 4 75".
      If you do this, it will allow you to run it at public runs, and also greatly increase the sale value of it should you ever decide to sell it.
      Look up the "IBLS wheel standards" for the proper wheel profiles and track gauges.
      Now granted, anything less than 7.25" or 7.5" for a Stephenson rocket probably wouldn't pull anyone.
      Last edited by RB211; 05-06-2020, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Your going to have to silver solder a boiler.....
        Just sayin’

Comment

No Sid, I'm not. I'm going to run it on air, same as all my other "steam" engines. Gary--Thanks but I'm going to remodel the whole thing in Solidworks anyways. I will certainly pick up dimensional references from the model I downloaded, but my design is going to lean towards a far simpler model. RB211--It will end up being a "shelf queen", same as all my other models. I may sell 2 or 3 sets of the drawings to others who will want to make it, just to cover my material expenses, but I won't be selling the model. This will simply fall into the "give Brian something to do" category.
          Brian Rupnow

Comment

There is a set of stationary drawings for rocket at
            https://www.modelengineeringwebsite....y_model_1.html

What is the CAD format you wish to convert Brian ?

Rich
            Green Bay, WI

Comment

I've seen those drawings Rich, and they are excellent. They were drawn for somebody who wanted to make a model from wood!! I don't really want to convert the cad file I found, as the model I make will only be half the scale of the model I downloaded and will be greatly simplified.---Brian
              Brian Rupnow

Comment

Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
                This will simply fall into the "give Brian something to do" category.
                What happened with the Thumper project? That engine came about for the purpose of something having enough power to run your edger. You posted a pic of it connected to your clutch but no edger. Are to going to complete the goal of running the edger? (or did you try already?)

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                  Following!!!!!
                  Brian, scale it down to a standard track size, like 3.5" or 4.75" for where you live. In the UK, they use 5" instead of 4 75".
                  If you do this, it will allow you to run it at public runs, and also greatly increase the sale value of it should you ever decide to sell it.
                  Look up the "IBLS wheel standards" for the proper wheel profiles and track gauges.
                  Now granted, anything less than 7.25" or 7.5" for a Stephenson rocket probably wouldn't pull anyone.
                  Use 1.6 instead of the normal 1.5 scale for 7.5" track and you get a slightly larger engine but it will be true scale to track size and easier to model and build. This is a trend that is happening more and more now. Before gauges where standardized back in the late 30's everyone just built to what ever track size (2 1/4, 2 3/4, 3 1/4 etc) suited them leading to a lot of track running problems. These are the worldwide standards used today.

Standard Live Steam Gauges

Scale Track

1/2 ...................2 1/2

3/4 .................. 3 1/2"

1...................... 4 3/4"

1 1/16 "..............5" - (British and some Commonwealth countries.instead of 4 3/4". There are a few 5" tracks in North America)

1.5.....................7.5' - (7.25" in Britain and some Commonwealth countries and parts of Northeastern US and Eastern Canada instead of 7.5". 7.5" in the rest of NA, mostly)

1.6.................... 7.5" - (true scale)

The "odd ball" 5" gauge allows 2 1/2" gauge plans to be easily scaled up which is probably why Britain switched away from 4 3/4" gauge.

If you are wondering why there are 7.25 and 7.5" gauges it is because Britain set up the original 7.25 gauge which came to the eastern US and Canada, probably back in the very early 20th century, A gent from out west saw this and decided to build Live Steam trains and wrote (no email back then) to a friend in the east for specifications. The "friend" made a typo putting 7.5" instead of the standard 7.25" and by the time anyone discovered the error it was to late with to much track and to many engines for anyone to change over. People didn't travel like they do now so it was many years latter before the problem came to light.

Consider your edification over.
                  Last edited by loose nut; 05-07-2020, 10:16 AM.
                  The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

This mornings work consisted of modeling the engine base. It doesn't look like a lot, but all of the math data is embedded in the solid models. This afternoon I will recreate the cylinder and valve body and fit it to the engine frame.
                    Brian Rupnow

Comment

This mornings work consisted of modeling the engine base. It doesn't look like a lot, but all of the math data is embedded in the solid models. This afternoon I will recreate the cylinder and valve body and fit it to the engine frame.
                      Dang, look at all those neatly TIG welded brackets !

Comment

Sparky--What you see there is an exact representation of the original equipment on the Rocket. I am redesigning as I go, and when I get finished there will be only some machining and a bit of silver soldering.
                        Brian Rupnow

Comment

...I was lucky enough to find a 3D model of this train, but it is made in a different software than mine. I can import it, and view it, even take dimensions from it, but I can not change the scale nor manipulate any of the part files. ...
                          I believe you have said that you use an older version of SolidWorks? This sounds like an issue I have run into when importing STEP files (.stp or .step), and it can be solved by re-saving the file as a Parasolid (.x_t) file and then re-importing. Doing so removes the weird assembly structure that prevents you from opening/modifying the part files.

Comment

And as the day wears on, the components are beginning to get much simpler. More related to machining and silver soldering than a complex bunch of platework tig welded together.
                            Brian Rupnow

Comment

Sparky--What you see there is an exact representation of the original equipment on the Rocket. I am redesigning as I go, and when I get finished there will be only some machining and a bit of silver soldering.
                              Ah come on, good opportunity to get more practice with the TIG. Its like any tool, once you get the hang of it you will be using it for all kinds of things, nothing like it. You can even silver solder with it, as well as brazing too.

Comment

Working...
                              X