No announcement yet.

Stephenson's Rocket--Working Model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After some re-soldering, re-assembly, and some touch up painting, we arrive at time for the final? "Beauty Shot" and the video. I still hope to find a period dressed driver to mount on the drivers platform, and I hope I can make a video of it running on it's own power across my office floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT1K...ature=youtu.be
    Brian Rupnow

Comment

• --Measured inside the flanges on my wheels is 4.7". That would be the inside to inside dimension on rails for it to run on. It would actually take very little to change it to suit a 4 3/4" track. I will sell the drawings as .pdf files and include the solid models as .step files for $40 Canadian funds. I normally charge only $25 Canadian for my engine drawings, but this build is far more extensive than any engines I have designed and built.---Brian
      Brian Rupnow

Comment

• Runs nice and smooth, nice job, Brian!
        I cut it off twice; it's still too short
        Oregon, USA

Comment

• Tim--I responded to a private message you had sent me.-Did you get it okay?---Brian
          Brian Rupnow

Comment

• Yes, sent reply
            I cut it off twice; it's still too short
            Oregon, USA

Comment

• Tim--Got it. I have some serious voodoo going on with the private messages on forums.
              Brian Rupnow

Comment

• Looking back to my first post, I see that I started this project around the 07 of May. WoW!!--I've spent almost three months on this build.---and I've worked on it almost every day. That is a long time for me to spend on one model. I haven't done a lot of completely new stuff here, but I have certainly sharpened up a lot of skills that I never use very much. I checked my cad files today, and there are 70 drawings involved with building this. That sounds like a lot, but when you make a detail drawing of each individual part, plus all the assemblies and sub assemblies, it adds up very quickly. I still hope to find an operator and show the engine moving under it's own power, but the build is essentially finished. Thanks for looking.---Brian
                Brian Rupnow

Comment

• Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
                  Looking back to my first post, I see that I started this project around the 07 of May. WoW!!--I've spent almost three months on this build.---and I've worked on it almost every day. That is a long time for me to spend on one model. I haven't done a lot of completely new stuff here, but I have certainly sharpened up a lot of skills that I never use very much. I checked my cad files today, and there are 70 drawings involved with building this. That sounds like a lot, but when you make a detail drawing of each individual part, plus all the assemblies and sub assemblies, it adds up very quickly. I still hope to find an operator and show the engine moving under it's own power, but the build is essentially finished. Thanks for looking.---Brian
                  I think its even more amazing that you did it so quickly. A lifetime of practicing skills is paying off here. Re: selling drawings -- I bet you could gain a real audience in the UK with this, they are into the model railroading. Example:https://modelengineeringwebsite.com/index.html Particularly if you include a sheet about the history of the Rocket.
                  Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 08-02-2020, 09:09 PM.

Comment

... I still hope to find an operator and show the engine moving under it's own power, but the build is essentially finished.
                    Can you clarify? How will it run under its own power?
                    Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

• It will run with a flexible airline attached to the spigot that extends out from under the drivers platform.
                      Brian Rupnow

Comment

• I just sold my first plan set for this engine. Now comes the tedious part---Opening each of the 70 drawings in Solidworks, then resaving them as .pdf files which can be opened without any special software. I used to have a piece of software that would do this automatically, but it never worked very well. Now I have something to do for the next couple of days.
                        Brian Rupnow

Comment

It will run with a flexible airline attached to the spigot that extends out from under the drivers platform.
                          That's not "running under its own power." But it is such a fine model, I hope it can eventually be modified to achieve this goal.
                          Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

• Aostling--I'm not going to argue semantics. Perhaps I should have said "under air compressor power". I never intended it to be a model which runs on steam. I do appreciate the fact that you think it is a "fine model".--Thanks--Brian
                            Brian Rupnow

Comment

• My local "Toys are us" store has pose-able wrestlers and soldiers in the scale I want for about $12 Canadian. They are very good, and I can pose the arms wherever I want to (He has to be able to hold onto a cross-bar that I will install so he doesn't fall off). I can turn a top hat from aluminum and paint it black. Only problem is that they are either naked from their wrestler trunks up, or they are wearing bulky armoured vests. Nobody in my house sews, so I can't just make a black waistcoat and dress the silly buggers. I might go up there tomorrow and have another look. I also made a discovery--the black paint I used on the Rocket is "low gloss" black. ---when it is applied from the spray can. If you spray some into a container and apply it with a small brush to "touch up" any areas, it dries with a glossy finish. I now have a shiny fire-box.
                              Brian Rupnow

Comment

My local "Toys are us" store has pose-able wrestlers and soldiers in the scale I want for about $12 Canadian. They are very good, and I can pose the arms wherever I want to (He has to be able to hold onto a cross-bar that I will install so he doesn't fall off). I can turn a top hat from aluminum and paint it black. Only problem is that they are either naked from their wrestler trunks up, or they are wearing bulky armoured vests. Nobody in my house sews, so I can't just make a black waistcoat and dress the silly buggers. I might go up there tomorrow and have another look. I also made a discovery--the black paint I used on the Rocket is "low gloss" black. ---when it is applied from the spray can. If you spray some into a container and apply it with a small brush to "touch up" any areas, it dries with a glossy finish. I now have a shiny fire-box.
                                Take a little scotch brite pad to the gloss black, it will flatten it.

Comment

Working...
                                X