Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

where is all the videos,,,,AC,,,, stick welding,,,buzzbox ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J Tiers
    replied
    Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post

Internally? I do not see how it would be possible internally without major modifications. Perhaps you can shed some light? The only way I can see to do it is like Reggie said in post 33 or with major switches.
    Looks like you answered your own question.

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    Originally posted by Ringo View Post
    I'm not going to the trouble to convert this old buzzbox to DC.
    This is a good little buzzbox for what it's worth, but no more, no less.
    This is better than the buzzbox with the adjustable crank handle for amps changes, this is far better and beyond that style of crap.
    The last time I went thru AC stick welding project, I had problems with spatter, starts, and other stuff., and that machine was as noted above, the cranking handle for amps.
    This little machine, as old, and tired, and ugly as it is, seems to be a little quiet gem.
    Over the years I have tried stick welding to some degree with limited results. This little machine has given me easier restarts with less spatter than any other.
    How is that so? I am not a better welder, at this point I am old, fat and blind.
    This buzzbox is so old and crude, how can this be???
    Yep, I know the feeling -- the machine you get along with is the machine you keep. Kinda like dating.

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied

Sure. But I don't think that's how this one works. Looks more like to me each socket is the delta between two taps, giving you 20 options. No switch.
    Yep, you're right, I spoke too soon -- he's got the old school taps.

Leave a comment:

• Ringo
    replied
    I'm not going to the trouble to convert this old buzzbox to DC.
    This is a good little buzzbox for what it's worth, but no more, no less.
    This is better than the buzzbox with the adjustable crank handle for amps changes, this is far better and beyond that style of crap.
    The last time I went thru AC stick welding project, I had problems with spatter, starts, and other stuff., and that machine was as noted above, the cranking handle for amps.
    This little machine, as old, and tired, and ugly as it is, seems to be a little quiet gem.
    Over the years I have tried stick welding to some degree with limited results. This little machine has given me easier restarts with less spatter than any other.
    How is that so? I am not a better welder, at this point I am old, fat and blind.
    This buzzbox is so old and crude, how can this be???

Leave a comment:

• The Metal Butcher
    replied
    Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

Bridge rectifiers don't need to be connected to every tap, if thats what the question is, My lincoln buzz box (ac only) has the transformer tapped every so often going into the amperage switch, the other leg of the transformer just goes directly into the output cable. The bridge rectifier would go between the output of the amperage switch (where one of the output cables is) and the other leg of the transformer (where the other output cable is) if that makes any sense... its basically just a gigantic power supply with tapped secondaries. Side note, lincoln engineering did a beautiful job of cramming enough square area of copper into a limited space by using flat copper bar for the windings on mine.
    Sure. But I don't think that's how this one works. Looks more like to me each socket is the delta between two taps, giving you 20 options. No switch.

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied

Internally? I do not see how it would be possible internally without major modifications. Perhaps you can shed some light? The only way I can see to do it is like Reggie said in post 33 or with major switches.
    Bridge rectifiers don't need to be connected to every tap, if thats what the question is, My lincoln buzz box (ac only) has the transformer tapped every so often going into the amperage switch, the other leg of the transformer just goes directly into the output cable. The bridge rectifier would go between the output of the amperage switch (where one of the output cables is) and the other leg of the transformer (where the other output cable is) if that makes any sense... its basically just a gigantic power supply with tapped secondaries. Side note, lincoln engineering did a beautiful job of cramming enough square area of copper into a limited space by using flat copper bar for the windings on mine.

Leave a comment:

• The Metal Butcher
    replied
    Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
    I do not see why that would be in any way difficult.

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    replied
    Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

The Lincoln Tombstone has been made with a DC option. Just a rectifier added to it, I don't know if any sort of extra inductor was included, but it would have been a decent idea.

No capacitors in sight, though.

It's downright simple and the end result is actually better than the Lincoln built version. A bunch of them have been done, this guy did a pretty nice job, did up his own inductor out of an old microwave x-former-

http://www.hildstrom.com/projects/ac-225/

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    replied
    Originally posted by Ringo View Post
    I'm not going to convert this old buzzbox, just going to practice with it the way it is.
    If, and I say if, I upgrade to another welder, it will be a TIG.
    Right now, I would be happy to lay down a good bead as is.
    If you did convert it, you could do scratch start DC Tig as is with the addition of a Tig torch and Argon bottle.

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    replied
    Originally posted by BCRider View Post
    Ringo, if you do buy a rectifier bridge and heatsink due to the individual output plugs for different current levels you cannot put your rectifier inside the case. Instead it will need to be set up as an outboard plug in DC conversion and then you plug the welding leads into the DC box.

A lot of buzz box welders use a variable transformer setup to alter the current from just the one winding. From the look of all the connectors on the front of yours you've got a basic transformer with multiple secondary taps. So you can't put the rectifier inside the box other than on only one tap. And thus the reason for the external box.
    The connection is made at the current selector output taps(where the welding leads normally connect from the OEM) those two output leads can be cut short, connected to the AC side of the rectifier and then the welding leads can be connected to the DC side of the rectifier. There is plenty of room inside the 225 tombstone cabinet for the mod.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Originally posted by wierdscience View Post

Yes, and here's the deal, unless it's a motor driven generator set or a modern inverter, ALL plug in transformer welders are AC. The DC and ones that do AC/DC are just AC machines, with a rectifier added.
    The Lincoln Tombstone has been made with a DC option. Just a rectifier added to it, I don't know if any sort of extra inductor was included, but it would have been a decent idea.

No capacitors in sight, though.

It would be rather tricky to wire a multitap transformer to a rectifier no?
    Last edited by J Tiers; 05-07-2020, 08:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ringo
    replied
    I'm not going to convert this old buzzbox, just going to practice with it the way it is.
    If, and I say if, I upgrade to another welder, it will be a TIG.
    Right now, I would be happy to lay down a good bead as is.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Engelhardt
    replied
    Originally posted by Willy View Post
    I think it bares mentioning that for a quality conversion from an AC only machine to DC one should include a capacitor bank as well as some form of inductance.
    I'm not so sure about the capacitors, but the inductor is really needed for smoothing current. And ones with enough inductance and current-carrying capacity are not so readily available. Maybe as replacement parts for ac/dc welders.

Leave a comment:

• reggie_obe
    replied
    Sears used to sell an AC/DC converter that plugged into the output jacks of the welder. It was similar to: https://bullseyeindustrialsales.com/...-welder-112780

Leave a comment:

• Ringo
    replied
    Doh !!
    I should have known about the rectifier going on the output.
    If you rectified the input then the transformer would be a giant electo-magnet !!
    The transformer only works because of a moving field such as the input AC.
    Duh !!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X