Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fastest way to remove aluminum with a mini mill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BCRider on a light mill one of the bonus side-effects is that because the cut is deeper and the chips sort of cross-cut, you end up with a quite civilised spew of blunt chips coming off - rather than the thin wispy needles just waiting to skewer you.

Comment

Originally posted by Cenedd View Post
      BCRider on a light mill one of the bonus side-effects is that because the cut is deeper and the chips sort of cross-cut, you end up with a quite civilised spew of blunt chips coming off - rather than the thin wispy needles just waiting to skewer you.
      Now having had a stupid moment or two where I wiped away such chips without thinking that is something I would truly appreciate!
      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

I regularly tell myself that I can't feel hard done by if I've been stupid enough to wipe the chips away with my fingers.... again. Did exactly the same today with wood so it's not just the metal.
        I'd recommend some decent (or strike lucky on some cheap ones) pointy nosed tweezers and an LED-illuminated "40x" loupe held in a solder mate (aka third hand). I say "40x" as the fashion seems to be to wildly exaggerate the magnification of such things on eBay/Amazon. Decent 10x headband stereo magnifiers would probably be as good....but the ones I know we're strong enough were out of stock.

Comment

I've got a something power head band I use quite frequently now. And for serious magnification I rely on some old 50mm focal length "standard" lenses of old 35mm cameras. The larger aperture versions make SUPERB magnifying glasses.

More than once I've also thought about stronger reading glasses where I punch out one lens on each side of two pairs so I can dig around and find cooties that get into my eye now and then despite fairly large safety lens reading glasses. Haven't done it yet though.
          Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

I also strongly recommend 1/4 through 3/8 roughing mills, 3 or 4 flute.
            I use them in my Sherline and they are awesome.
            You might be able to use a 1/2 in with the mill you have, not sure.
            I have used Wholesale Tools, Travers, and Ebay to get what I wanted.
            They are a little more expensive but worth the money

Comment

Working...
            X