Balancing a honey extractor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balancing a honey extractor

I've been contemplating how to balance my honey extractor. It is a 20 frame radial type extractor but I don't know that this matters. Essentially the extractor gets loaded with frames of honey and centrifugal force forced the honey out of the comb. Often times the frames are not all filled the same amount and the extractor wobbles quite a lot until the majority of honey is flung out of the comb.
    This project is to satisfy my curiosity. I know there are a lot of different solutions to the problem but I am only interested in the possible solution of overcoming the imbalance "dynamically". I have 2 main theories that I'd consider to be potential solutions but I'm going to hold back on them until folks here have a chance to chime in.
    My ultimate goal is to be able to load the extractor with an unbalanced load, start it and walk away know that the system designed to balance it will take care of the imbalance.
    Many thanks for looking.

‚Äč‚Äčtisl

You did not mention the most important criteria when designing a mechanical system.

Budget

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post
      You did not mention the most important criteria when designing a mechanical system.

Budget
      Why mention budget when there is nothing to budget for?

Comment

You and Mcgyver should talk.... A dynamically balancing Honeyfuge. (I want a jar for the naming rights )

What about a weight you could put on the light side, that is on a string or track that's tied to the central shaft, and will wind IN a measurable amount per revolution. You'd start off with the weight out at the limits, and as the frames empty the weight would wind back in towards the center. Not sure how many hives you have, but it might be more trouble than simply weighing them prior to starting and grouping them in the most initially balanced positions.

Comment

Originally posted by challenger View Post

Why mention budget when there is nothing to budget for?
          You have answered your own question right here.

Comment

How about one of those hula hoops with steel balls running inside it that they used to put on semi truck tires?

Comment

There used to be a system used in automotive tire systems that incorporated steel balls in a circular track. Don't know exactly how it worked, but probably someone else does.
              Sarge41

Comment

See post 6

Comment

Like this? https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...9Hxvuw_apZFyKQ

Of course you have to attach something like that to the rotating shaft of your extractor. The wheel balancers I assume are designed to work with ounces of unbalance and you would be dealing with pounds. My extractor is half the size of yours and it's almost always unbalanced when loaded. Have to hang on or go slow at first so I am curious to see if you take this through to fruition.
                  Tom - Spotsylvania, VA

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post

You have answered your own question right here.

Money is no object. Does that help?
                    I will post photos of my (probably failed) ideas.
                    Thanks

Comment

Money is no object. Does that help?
                      I will post photos of my (probably failed) ideas.
                      Thanks
                      I think it will be a challenge. Unlike truck wheels, the rotating part of a honey extractor is inside a drum so not much room to add a balancing contraption.
                      Just a thought as I was typing this: a device that senses the imbalance and automatically adjusts the speed would let you load it and walk away.
                      Tom - Spotsylvania, VA

Comment

Possible to make the drum double-wall and partially fill it with a heavy oil? Its called "fluid balancing" Same idea as the truck wheel balancers. I actually balanced the driveshafts in my Jeep this way when I made them: filled partially with a quart of 90-weight and welded shut. It works beautifully, smoothed it right out.
                        Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 05-09-2020, 01:08 PM.
                        25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

I made a set of dynamic balancers for my bench grinder. The one on the grinding wheel made a noticeable difference but the one on the wire wheel with much bigger balls didn't get rid of the vibration, too out of balance I would guess.

Even on washing machines the dynamic balancer only deals with minor imbalances - the shock absorbers/ springs and the control deal with the bigger ones, either by absorbing them or by rebalancing the load.

Comment

Money is no object.
                            Excellent, this is the way product development is best done, Prior Art tells you that dynamic imbalance is currently detected through the use of strain gauges attached to the mounting components of rotating assemblies. This data will reveal where the imbalance condition is in relationship to the rotors radial position in one plane, a couple imbalance will require more sensors.

A simple way to balance a rotating assembly (when in motion) which has variable imbalance over time such as your application is to adjust the center of mass in real time. Using movable weights under control will balance an assembly in motion to an accuracy determined by the amount of money one is willing to throw at it.
                            A simple graphic.

Comment

The balance changes throughout the extraction, so nothing short of an electronically controlled compensating weight would be of much use.

Comment

Working...
                              X