Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rohart
    replied
    Older HP machines were high quality. I run Win Pro 7 on an HP Pavilion DM1, the old small one. I've got it to wake from sleep by opening the lid. Battery lasts all day. Brilliant machine. Like I have a Motorola phone with Android 8, but I'll swear the OS has only half the usability of Androis 8 on older Samsungs. A rubbish OS. I'm arguing with it all the time. It's just how much the makers are prepared to shell out for a decent implementation of the OS and Bios.

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
    Seems odd.... Many Dell have a button for waking, and my current G3 wakes if I hit the space bar, or any other key (Win 10). My Win 7 machine (Dell M6300) had no issues waking if I did basically anything, keyboard, mouse, power etc. It had specific sleep and wake buttons as well.

I think you are missing something that is in the settings.

There should be, in the power management section, a bunch of options of "what happens if", And you should find a suitable option there.
    My thought exactly since both computers are running Windows 7 Pro and the HP is older.
    I'm wondering if it's a manufacturer thing, HP included it and Dell omitted it. I don't know what else to look for.
    Is this a Windows thing or a BIOS thing? Or both?

JL...............

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Seems odd.... Many Dell have a button for waking, and my current G3 wakes if I hit the space bar, or any other key (Win 10). My Win 7 machine (Dell M6300) had no issues waking if I did basically anything, keyboard, mouse, power etc. It had specific sleep and wake buttons as well.

I think you are missing something that is in the settings.

There should be, in the power management section, a bunch of options of "what happens if", And you should find a suitable option there.

Leave a comment:

• MrWhoopee
    replied
    If it's not supported in the BIOS, you're probably out of luck. Sleep has been buggy and unreliable ever since it was introduced. I have computers that will never wake properly, I just set them to turn off the display and HD.

"Computer technology is sufficiently close to magic that it's a wonder it works at all, much less all the time."
    ___Me

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    started a topic Windows 7 Pro Question... OT

Windows 7 Pro Question... OT

This has been driving me nuts for some time now.

I have two laptops, and older HP and a newer Dell 5900. When I put the HP to sleep I can wake it by touching any key, touching the touch pad, or pressing any of it's two buttons.
    In the devise manager under keyboard there is a "Power Management" tab, same for the mouse and touch pad. In the power management tab there is a box that says "Allow this devise to wake computer. The box is checked.

On the Dell laptop the only way I can wake the computer from sleep is to hit the power button. In devise manager for the key board, touch pad and mouse there is no Power Management tab.
    OK, I did some research.... went into the BIOS F2 on startup. Selected USB devises or power management, can't remember exactly. I enabled "allow USB devise to wake computer"
    It did put a power management tab in devise manager for the mouse but not the keyboard or touch pad. Now I can wake the computer by touching either of the two mouse buttons but nothing else.
    Anyone know what missing?? Tired of reading.

JL......................
    Last edited by JoeLee; 05-09-2020, 01:38 PM.
Working...
X