Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PStechPaul
    replied
    Yes, the back arrow still does not work reliably, so I always refresh the page. Other items that no longer work as well as they once did.

1. Copying and pasting a link into the post just shows as text. You must specifically make it a hyperlink.

2. Copying and pasting an image from another site into the post shows up as Base64 coded text. You must either upload it as an attachment from your own machine, or upload it from URL.

I don't know if you can drag an image to the post. I'll try...

Last edited by PStechPaul; 05-12-2020, 04:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Even Firefox does not work perfectly everywhere.

I run what is probably the latest version, but this particular site does not always work right. For quite a while, it did not reliably return from page 2 of this forum to page 1, for instance, at least not when using the standard "back arrow" button. It would do OK if you browsed to the top of the page and used the page arrows.

As far as I know, it is working better now, but that's an example of oddities that can come from the interaction of a particular browser and a particular website.

Leave a comment:

• danlb
    replied
    Ken, you can load other browsers. The chrome browser should run on Win7. It is the one that MS is rebranding as the "Edge" browser on win10. Rebranding a leading public domain program is what MicroSoft did in the 90s. They took a public domain browser (mosaic) and changed the name to make it Explorer. Then they slowly made it incompatible with other standards and browsers so that it was "better". Much of their TCP/IP networking code was a direct copy of BSD's network stack.

If you want to jump ship and go to Linux, you can. It's not that hard. I have my octogenarian mother running the Debian flavor of Linux on a $39 computer the size of a deck of cards. She can send/receive mail, surf the web and use a word processor, so it does what she wants.

Dan

Last edited by danlb; 05-12-2020, 07:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mikegt4
    replied
    Come over to the dark side (linux) and leave all the Windows problems behind. I have been using linux exclusively for almost 20 years and will never go back to MS. I am most certainly not computer savvy so any one should be about to use it.

Leave a comment:

• CCWKen
    replied
    Except W10 won't run on my machine because of some of the hardware installed. Is everyone supposed to robot into the "new" software? I was on the evaluation team before W10 was released. It pretty much did nothing then except steal resources and die due to lack of driver support. M$ just keeps taking away functions then wants you to buy them back. If I need W10 to continue posting here, I guess this is my last post. I'll watch as long as I can but I'm not buying hardware and software to just see this board.

Leave a comment:

• danlb
    replied
    I read something about MS tightening security by disabling compatibility with older JAVA versions. Same with some browsers and older SSL implementations. In the interest of not interfering with communications regarding the COVID outbreak some of the browsers have re-enabled that functionality.

Unfortunately, MS is still issuing "security" updates for win7 even though they are not supporting the OS when those updates break things. That's one way to push people onto windows 10, I guess.

Leave a comment:

• bob_s
    replied
    Originally posted by PS4steam View Post
    Hi

I have Windows 7 Professional using Explorer 11. Yesterday I got on various sites and when I came to the HSM site I was logged in as usual, I read some threads, got to the bottom of the page and hit the "2" and nothing happened. I went to the top and hit the ">" and it moved to page two and at the bottom the page 2 indicator was on. I hit the "mark this channel read" and it took me to the main forums page. I logged off to see if that would help, would not log me in just says "logging in" but just sits there.

I have chrome on the same machine that I rarely use, and it works just fine, ie this message. Everything works as it did on Explorer 11 on Wed. ie two days ago.

The HSM site is the only one that stopped working for me.

Any advice? I am not going to try and move everything to Chrome.

Thanks

Bob
    Ditto with Safari browser on IPAD 1.0.
    The big problem with this hardware is that there is NO UPDATED software for the antique operating system IOS 5.5.1, which is all the old ATOM processor can handle.
    Jail break and attempt minuscule LINUX installation???

Leave a comment:

• Mcgyver
    replied
    Originally posted by rohart View Post
    Yup - I'm getting these problems too. I know I'm out of date - Win7.
    you could always downgrade to a newer version

Leave a comment:

• George Bulliss
    replied
    I'll send a message to vBulletin about this. Whether anything changes, I can't say...

Leave a comment:

• MrWhoopee
    replied
    I deal with issues like this a lot these days. The solution, as you've discovered, is try a different browser. It happens in all of them, but IE, because it is not longer supported, is the most common culprit. Just switch to Chrome or Firefox (or one of the lesser known options). Transferring favorites (bookmarks) and settings is no big deal. Clinging to IE at this point will only make the inevitable change that much more difficult.

Since starting with Win95, I've learned that you're almost always better off using a 3rd party program rather than the Microsoft version. Invariably, one becomes comfortable with a program which M$ then kills. Remember Outlook Express? It was killed in favor of Windows Mail (Vista only), which was replaced by Windows Live Mail, then Mail (Windows 10). The transitions are never easy. All along you could be using Thunderbird and avoid all the pain.

Microsoft has apparently thrown in the towel on browsers. Edge, their new and better replacement for IE and competitor for Chrome, has just been updated in Win10. It is now based on the open-source Chromium browser, which is the basis for Chrome, Brave and others.
    Last edited by MrWhoopee; 05-10-2020, 09:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rohart
    replied
    Yup2 - Yes, Edit not button working either, and when I hit Post reply I get a page that says "nodeID : and a six digit number", though the post does actually happen... so far.

Leave a comment:

• rohart
    replied
    Yup - I'm getting these problems too. I know I'm out of date - Win7 with old browsers - but I really can't see why a simple function like next page needs the power of the latest browsers.

Leave a comment:

• Baz
    replied
    Spoke too soon. Edit button doesn't work.

Leave a comment:

• Baz
    replied
    Ah, Paul's comment mirrors my own experience yesterday, or was it the day before. I just assumed normal 'computer funnies' and rebooted. All ok after that.

Leave a comment:

• PHiers
    replied
    What I have found on Win7 and Explorer 11 is you have to go back to the top of the page and hit next or the forward arrow. You cannot use the ones at the bottom of the page, or at least I can't.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X