OT Extreme Conditions = Extreme Measures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
    Arcane: As a kid my Dad cleared lots of land in the 60's early 70's so I'm no stranger to picking roots,no rocks.My first quarter of land was 2/3 timber,it's a lot of work to make it look as it is today.
    Somebody at some point back in the 30/40's (from what I've been told) had cleared my 40 acres (plus the neighbors 60 that were one). There are giant piles of field stone all over the place. I can't help but feel bad sometimes when I'm out working as it's almost all grown back in. Looking at those piles of rock I can appreciate the labour involved, but the soil was too sandy back then to grow in, so they let nature take it back over. I've been taking down some of the birch, and scotch pine the last couple years as part of my forest management plan to let the oak, walnuts and maples in the under growth take back over. Whoever takes it over after me, might have a different idea of what to do with it too. They're surely going to inherit some really nice timber to harvest though, as I surely won't live long enough to see it ready for harvest. They're going to have a nice sugar bush too.

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
      ....Kind of slow process but hope blackened it will help dry it up.
      It'd help even more to get better than single digit temperatures!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post

Somebody at some point back in the 30/40's (from what I've been told) had cleared my 40 acres (plus the neighbors 60 that were one). There are giant piles of field stone all over the place. I can't help but feel bad sometimes when I'm out working as it's almost all grown back in. Looking at those piles of rock I can appreciate the labour involved, but the soil was too sandy back then to grow in, so they let nature take it back over. I've been taking down some of the birch, and scotch pine the last couple years as part of my forest management plan to let the oak, walnuts and maples in the under growth take back over. Whoever takes it over after me, might have a different idea of what to do with it too. They're surely going to inherit some really nice timber to harvest though, as I surely won't live long enough to see it ready for harvest. They're going to have a nice sugar bush too.
        Dan we were really fortunate that only about 50 acres had a few rocks,about 2500 acres stone free.The farm has downsized a bit since then.

bob_s : Yes warmer temps would be GREAT!

Comment

Your dirt reminds me of the dirt up north in Minnesota when I was growing up. Nice dark, glacial, "real", dirt.

Down here, that field could be yellow or reddish, mostly clay.
          CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2842.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	2.29 MB
ID:	1874675 Will things are back to normal,this is the usual setup this tractor pulls 90% of the time 40' cult 40' 16 bar harrows.I designed & built a Hyd Leveling Hitch in pic as these Harrows are designed to be hooked directly to tractor drawbar. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2847.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	2.21 MB
ID:	1874674
            Attached Files

Comment

Nice, clean design on that drawbar. Way back when my family still farmed we ran a 22' Do-All behind a Ford TW-20, basically just a disc harrow with two rows of rotary baskets dragging behind. It was the hot new thing way back then.
              That last picture brings back a lot of memories. I miss Farming, few other professions allow you to look back at the end of the day and see where you have accomplished something.
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
                Nice, clean design on that drawbar. Way back when my family still farmed we ran a 22' Do-All behind a Ford TW-20, basically just a disc harrow with two rows of rotary baskets dragging behind. It was the hot new thing way back then.
                That last picture brings back a lot of memories. I miss Farming, few other professions allow you to look back at the end of the day and see where you have accomplished something.
                Thanks,I was happy how it turned out and works flawless,I bolted Nylatron for slider on vertical portion.Entire Hitch is fastened with U bolts no holes drilled or welding on Cultivator.

There has been quite a selection of tillage tools over the years,Virtical Tillage is latest Cool Tool lol!

Yes Farming can be real rewarding,the only glitch is Mother Nature swings a Big Hammer and not allways in our favour.

Comment

Working...
                X