No announcement yet.

Third Machinist Bedside Reader Free Download

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The three book set went for $50 at Cabin Fever this past January .
    200 each is a RIP..
    Rich
    Green Bay, WI

Comment

I think I'm going to put my copies into a time capsule...

When I first got them I noted that the covers would mark very easily. I had access to the iron on laminating film so I laminated the covers. They look like new these 25 or more years on.

Much of the tricks and techniques have been in various threads. And those that have not are pretty off the wall seldom needed sorts of things. Like how to make a set of highly accurate reference squares or two reference straight edges. And come to think of it the straight edge might be around here somewhere too.

Oddly enough to me one of the super handy projects in one of the books is something I seldom see mentioned, posted or otherwise. Namely the handy as hell flat vise for holding small parts. I won't bother you with it yet again. I've posted pictures of it way too many times. Mine gets used at least weekly.… which is a darn sight better than I can say for a lot of my other tooling projects.

It's so handy that my local machining buddy and I want to crank out a few slightly larger versions. We'll each keep one and the extras will be passed on to other machinists in our area that have done favors for us.
      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

I first heard about Lautard when Clickspring made his flat vise video and mentioned the design in his notes. Then I got curious and I'm finding all this... in the US anyway, whoever uploaded his books would be in jail. legally there is a big difference between uploading and downloading. I have no idea how that law works in other countries.
        25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

At one time there was a site with just about all of our titles available for download for abouit $10 or so. The site had a lot of other mtalworking books as well, though I don't recall if it had any of Guy's. They looked like someone did a professional job of it, but it was outright theft - copyright continues for 70 years after the death of the author.

We contacted the FBI and gave them the name and address of the person we were 99% sure was behind it, but as far as I know they never did anything. So, we went to the server in Sweden and provided proof of copyright for each title he had hosted there, a pretty big job. He was booted from the server but back up and running a week or so later at another server in Germany. Went through the same process and he jumped to New Zeeland. Again submitted our proof and haven't seen him since, though I haven't looked in a bit.

Downloading stolen material might save you a few bucks, but it can be devastating for the authors who have put so much time and effort into providing the material you want so badly. It's a very small market and every sale counts for these authors - as tempting as it may be, don't encourage theft from our fellow hobbyists.
          George
          Traverse City, MI

Comment

I have been waiting for the Fourth MBSR , just checked and the website says (as it has for years) "not yet, wait a little longer".

Comment

Originally posted by George Bulliss View Post
              We contacted the FBI and gave them the name and address of the person we were 99% sure was behind it, but as far as I know they never did anything. So, we went to the server in Sweden and provided proof of copyright for each title he had hosted there, a pretty big job. He was booted from the server but back up and running a week or so later at another server in Germany. Went through the same process and he jumped to New Zeeland. Again submitted our proof and haven't seen him since, though I haven't looked in a bit.

Downloading stolen material might save you a few bucks, but it can be devastating for the authors who have put so much time and effort into providing the material you want so badly. It's a very small market and every sale counts for these authors - as tempting as it may be, don't encourage theft from our fellow hobbyists.
              Thats kind of surprising (and disappointing) about the FBI. As it is, I went to archive.org and they pulled the material -- they have very strict policies about that kind of thing. I wonder if it was the same guy you dealt with? Same countries.

As an artist in a past life, I decided that when I die my stuff will go into the public domain. I don't want some soulless corporation to be able to renew my copyrights forever and ever and profit off *my* work after I'm dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
                The three book set went for $50 at Cabin Fever this past January .
                200 each is a RIP..
                Rich
                For all practical purposes, I'm gonna have to wait till next year to get them. Tax season is the only time I have that kind of money. The asking price is a large fraction of a weeks pay. I'm gonna be pissed if they aren't as good as everyone says.

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

As an artist in a past life, I decided that when I die my stuff will go into the public domain. I don't want some soulless corporation to be able to renew my copyrights forever and ever and profit off *my* work after I'm dead.
                  Once you pass, the copyright goes to your heirs, so the only way a soulless corporation can get their hands on it is if you or your heirs sellout; or if they wait 70 years.

For our books, we share copyright with the authors and that's part of the agreement up front. We hold copyright on the work we put into the book (editing, layout, drawings) and the author holds copyright for his material. We produce, market, and sell the book and the author receives a royalty check. We have a number of authors who are no longer with us so the checks go to their closest heir. If you don't want someone else to profit off the work, then there is always the self-publishing route, though not everyone wants to pay upfront for a stack of books that might take ten years or so to unload.
                  George
                  Traverse City, MI

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
                    I first heard about Lautard when Clickspring made his flat vise video and mentioned the design in his notes. Then I got curious and I'm finding all this... in the US anyway, whoever uploaded his books would be in jail. legally there is a big difference between uploading and downloading. I have no idea how that law works in other countries.
                    They are very good, but fetch a crazy price these days. A beat up tatty shop used copy might be less money and give the same good content. A shame that Guy doesn't just reprint them....that sets are selling for that much says there's demand and he's leaving money on the table.

+1 for what George said. It takes a lot of effort to generate quality content and its such a niche hobby we should all try to contribute something toward it, and curse the SOB's who steal it. I feel the same way about the pricks who've redrawn stuff from the mag and offer it for free - like you couldn't design your own stuff? So you copy and undermine the product of the only NA publisher in the genre? I don't think the low life's even see anything wrong with it they do so so brazenly, but imo its no different than taking a current book, retyping it and posting it for download.....probably worse in that there is little money and limited content in our small niche compared to publishing at large
                    in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by George Bulliss View Post

Once you pass, the copyright goes to your heirs, so the only way a soulless corporation can get their hands on it is if you or your heirs sellout; or if they wait 70 years.
                      Really? I didn't know that -- I thought it could be called out in my will. I don't have any direct heirs -- no family. Not that it matters financially -- in my case a visit to the accountant costs more than anyone will ever make off my stuff. It's a loser.

On the other hand, it seems like its a very fair deal you have with authors and publishing. Better than most outfits I've seen lately.
                      Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 05-11-2020, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                        I feel the same way about the pricks who've redrawn stuff from the mag and offer it for free - like you couldn't design your own stuff?
                        WHAT?? Wait a minute, you mean guys are ripping stuff right out of the magazine??? Thats just asinine. I *so* wish Lautard would re-print his stuff, if only to bring the price down to reality for a working-class guy like me. I'd be happy to give a hundred for all three with free shipping, but 200 each is NOT gonna happen.

Comment

My wife writes knitting patterns and sells them for I think between $1-3. People will still share them illegally. They won't pay a couple bucks for something that has hours of work involved, but will ask somebody to share it while drinking a $5 coffee and browsing on their $800 Iphone. She might sell a few a month maybe, so it's not a high volume thing either.

I thought Guy's issue was the ex wife? I remember quite a few years ago trying to buy the set, but they weren't in print anymore, and he was going through a divorce. There was a letter of explanation on his website about it, but I can't remember all the details. Pretty sure it had something to do with her "owning" the rights to the books, and him not happy about it...........

Side note related to that, I know a few guys who've put the business in the wife's name for "tax purposes" and got screwed when the wife started taking her shoes off in another house..... Not sure if that's what he did, but it's a very risky play.
                          Last edited by Dan Dubeau; 05-11-2020, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
                            I thought Guy's issue was the ex wife? I remember quite a few years ago trying to buy the set, but they weren't in print anymore, and he was going through a divorce. There was a letter of explanation on his website about it, but I can't remember all the details. Pretty sure it had something to do with her "owning" the rights to the books, and him not happy about it...........
                            I had no idea -- I went to his website hoping to find a way to get them, but there was no mention of anything.

Getting ripped off sux and you are absolutely right. Usually those doing the ripping are perfectly able to deal fairly, but there are many for whom "fair" means "weak".

I strongly recall writing some software for linux a couple decades ago, and having some large companies try to rip off the entire thing by claiming the GPL wasn't enforcable. It took 13 years in federal court to straighten them out, by which time the company president had achieved his goal of pumping the stock so he could dump it at a profit. Guys like me "won" the case but we lost our shirts financially. The only real winners was the lawyers.

Comment

Originally posted by wdtom44 View Post
                              I have been waiting for the Fourth MBSR , just checked and the website says (as it has for years) "not yet, wait a little longer".
                              Technically there was a forth one (thinner but same type of content) called "hey time I gotta tell ya" or something like that but the actual forth one will never happen. Legal problems with the divorce. That is probably why they are know longer in print even thought there is still a good demand. Anything he makes from his books just goes to the ex. Most of the machining is old hat but there are some good stories from the past. He has also written some stories/book that are not bad, entertaining decent read with heavy machining content but not going to win a Pulitzer. The book is called "Strike while the Irons hot".

Copy write laws should be amended so that if a book is out of print for a number of years and there is no intent to reissue it should be fair game. 70 years is to long for out of print books and even the 70 year rule no longer works since it can be extended. Out of print books are just lost knowledge and that is a bigger crime then illegal downloads.
                              The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
                                I know a few guys who've put the business in the wife's name for "tax purposes" and got screwed when the wife started taking her shoes off in another house..... Not sure if that's what he did, but it's a very risky play.
                                or worse....I've a tale of a someone putting it in the girlfriends name so the wife wouldn't get it....a few decades later they're not together and she's didn't/isn't giving it back. There's several owners and her share alone is now is 7 figures now :O. Cheaper to keep her....or just stay a bachelor
                                in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Working...
                                X