Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Third Machinist Bedside Reader Free Download

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

    WHAT?? Wait a minute, you mean guys are ripping stuff right out of the magazine??? .
    yup, it gets redraw it so its technically I guess not copyright infringement....but there's legal/illegal and there's right/wrong
    in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

      or worse....I've a tale of a someone putting it in the girlfriends name so the wife wouldn't get it....a few decades later they're not together and she's didn't/isn't giving it back. There's several owners and her share alone is now is 7 figures now :O. Cheaper to keep her....or just stay a bachelor
      Yikes. Not a bad deal for her, if you could live with that hanging over you. Typically in those situations there's enough shadiness on both sides of the tree it's tough to pick a side to stand on based on morality.

      One of the farmers around here came by last year for some work last summer and told the same sob story. Everything was in her name, he's in his 70's and she split. Doesn't know anything else, so he's renting his farm from her until he dies. Said he's never worked harder in his life to try and speed up the process. Barely recognized the guy . Tough to pick sides in that situation because I know life with him couldn't have been easy, but it's hard not to feel sorry for the guy.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

        yup, it gets redraw it so its technically I guess not copyright infringement....but there's legal/illegal and there's right/wrong
        Yup. I've wasted the last 35 yrs of my life working for people who don't have any sense of right or wrong,
        or fairness.
        Only "winning" and "losing".

        No idea what I'm gonna do for a living next, but i'm sure it'll be something completely different (Monty Python voice...)
        Frankly I don't care if I end up pushing a broom as long as I work for somebody that actually has some morals.
        25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
          Frankly I don't care if I end up pushing a broom as long as I work for somebody that actually has some morals.
          Same here. Probably the reason why I'll never be rich, but I do sleep good at night.

          Comment


          • #35
            I got to hang out with Guy at a gun engraving show many years ago. He really was into anything that was related to metal working, just soaking up any info he could. I just loved the way he presented material in his books, how he told stories. Very hard to do right, a gifted person. I have pretty much all of his writing and read them over and over.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Frugalguido View Post
              I got to hang out with Guy at a gun engraving show many years ago. He really was into anything that was related to metal working, just soaking up any info he could. I just loved the way he presented material in his books, how he told stories. Very hard to do right, a gifted person. I have pretty much all of his writing and read them over and over.
              I wish I could have met him but I'll settle for his books if only I could find them. Didn't he have a normal publisher???
              25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post

                Same here. Probably the reason why I'll never be rich, but I do sleep good at night.
                If you think this is bad, you should see what happens at record and movie companies. Did you know that the Harry Potter movies never made a nickel, in fact the studios filed bankrupt so the whole thing was a tax write-off.... the producers own both the movie company and the studio through two different shell companies. They arrange for the movie company to lease the studio and equipment at a rate that exactly equals everything they make off it, so when the movie comes out the producers fold up the shell companies and walk away with the cash.

                Record companies do likewise, charging the artists enough to break even at zero. What really bothers me about them is the fact that they won't release their old back catalogs from decades ago. They're not making a nickel off it any more, they already made that money. But they won't re-do it on CD's nor will they let it to the public domain. The result is that *huge* parts of our culture are disappearing --forever.
                They don't give a hoot about that though.

                By the way, that's why nobody is allowed to sing "Happy Birthday" at a restaurant. The BMI/ASCAP lawyers would be all over that for an unauthorized public performance of copyrighted material. So restaurant owners now forbid it.
                Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 05-11-2020, 12:48 PM.
                25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

                Comment


                • #38
                  This thread has moved fast. Back a few dozen posts Nickel mentioned a 'flat vice' as seen on Clickspring's videos from the books. Is that the 'finger plate' ?

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Baz View Post
                    This thread has moved fast. Back a few dozen posts Nickel mentioned a 'flat vice' as seen on Clickspring's videos from the books. Is that the 'finger plate' ?
                    I do think it is. Clickspring referenced one of Lautards books in an Amazon link. So I watched Clicksprings video and decided I could figure it out on my own since the book is basically unobtainable. And certainly the tool isn't very complicated.
                    25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

                      If you think this is bad, you should see what happens at record and movie companies. Did you know that the Harry Potter movies never made a nickel, in fact the studios filed bankrupt so the whole thing was a tax write-off.... the producers own both the movie company and the studio through two different shell companies. They arrange for the movie company to lease the studio and equipment at a rate that exactly equals everything they make off it, so when the movie comes out the producers fold up the shell companies and walk away with the cash.

                      Record companies do likewise, charging the artists enough to break even at zero. What really bothers me about them is the fact that they won't release their old back catalogs from decades ago. They're not making a nickel off it any more, they already made that money. But they won't re-do it on CD's nor will they let it to the public domain. The result is that *huge* parts of our culture are disappearing --forever.
                      They don't give a hoot about that though.

                      By the way, that's why nobody is allowed to sing "Happy Birthday" at a restaurant. The BMI/ASCAP lawyers would be all over that for an unauthorized public performance of copyrighted material. So restaurant owners now forbid it.
                      The Hqppy Birthday thing is no longer true, but sadly the rest about Hollywood and recording is. The most creative bookkeeping found anywhere! Every once in while there's a lawsuit that raises the curtain, but they usually try to settle to keep that from happening.
                      Location: Jersey City NJ USA

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

                        If you think this is bad, you should see what happens at record and movie companies. Did you know that the Harry Potter movies never made a nickel, in fact the studios filed bankrupt so the whole thing was a tax write-off.... the producers own both the movie company and the studio through two different shell companies. They arrange for the movie company to lease the studio and equipment at a rate that exactly equals everything they make off it, so when the movie comes out the producers fold up the shell companies and walk away with the cash.
                        Curious how you arrived at above conclusion?
                        https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ffice-revenue/

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
                          I thought Guy's issue was the ex wife? I remember quite a few years ago trying to buy the set, but they weren't in print anymore, and he was going through a divorce. There was a letter of explanation on his website about it, but I can't remember all the details. Pretty sure it had something to do with her "owning" the rights to the books, and him not happy about it...........

                          If you click the "what we're working on" link (here: LINK ) on the Guy lautard website, it includes this statement:

                          "I am working on TMBR#4. I'm not sure when it will be done - hopefully soon. (Much of the delay is due to the fact that I've had a big upheaval in my personal life.)" (emphasis added)

                          On some thread I saw here that I can't find now since the transfer to the new BBS software, someone mentioned it was a divorce situation and that his ex had the copyright rights, so in essence he had no real motivation to republish or generate another book. Pretty unfortunate thing all around.

                          I'm with most of the thinking here, that this was a loss to the HSM crowd. Most of what's in them so far as specific information goes, is clearly available in plenty of other places now, but his writing style and delivery made the books interesting to read. Just fun, light reading by someone with interests similar to our own. A "bedside reader" for machinists in the true sense, I think.

                          I ordered the last two of them from him directly, still had to drop a check in the mail, maybe a year or three before the supply seemed to vanish. They cost typical book prices then, maybe 25 bucks each or something. I still pull them off the shelf from time to time and reread sections of them just for entertainment value.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

                            Curious how you arrived at above conclusion?
                            https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ffice-revenue/
                            I don't know the details of Potterdom, but this narrative is notoriously true. Famously, Art Buchwald sued the producers of Coming to America, claiming they lifted the story from a script he had written. In the lawsuit discovery came out a rare view of the film finance world because the producers claimed the hit movie lost money and so they didn't owe him any even if he did prove his case. It's well know in Hollywood that participation in net profits is for suckers, that gross profits points are the only thing worth money.
                            Location: Jersey City NJ USA

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by alanganes View Post


                              If you click the "what we're working on" link (here: LINK ) on the Guy lautard website, it includes this statement:

                              "I am working on TMBR#4. I'm not sure when it will be done - hopefully soon. (Much of the delay is due to the fact that I've had a big upheaval in my personal life.)" (emphasis added)

                              On some thread I saw here that I can't find now since the transfer to the new BBS software, someone mentioned it was a divorce situation and that his ex had the copyright rights, so in essence he had no real motivation to republish or generate another book. Pretty unfortunate thing all around.

                              I'm with most of the thinking here, that this was a loss to the HSM crowd. Most of what's in them so far as specific information goes, is clearly available in plenty of other places now, but his writing style and delivery made the books interesting to read. Just fun, light reading by someone with interests similar to our own. A "bedside reader" for machinists in the true sense, I think.

                              I ordered the last two of them from him directly, still had to drop a check in the mail, maybe a year or three before the supply seemed to vanish. They cost typical book prices then, maybe 25 bucks each or something. I still pull them off the shelf from time to time and reread sections of them just for entertainment value.
                              As do I. I have all 3 books .
                              Glenn Bird

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                I had all three books but unfortunately lost them in Hurricane Katrina and have no been able to replace them!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X