Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alsinaj
    replied
    Doozer, That might have worked if requirements were slightly different. In this case, there were low-helix splines on the shaft that would have made a poor mating surface. I wanted to get the splines off. Could have brazed on a sleeve instead. Lots of ways to skin a cat.

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied
    I would have just press fit it on to a shaft and designed it to work from there.

-Doozer

Leave a comment:

• alsinaj
    replied
    I heated to orange (no magnet test), covered with sand and allowed to cool. Now I can cut it with carbide, but it's still plenty tough, and it work hardens. My guess is that it was case hardened or just work hardened by the forming process.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Probably not case hardened. Could be, for such a small gear, through hardened, but in any event, likely hardened 1.5 x the tooth depth or so, and maybe on the bore as well.

Leave a comment:

• Robg
    replied
    I doubt they are hardened all the way through. Probably a case hardening of sorts. I say this as the whole starter drive assembly is not all that overly expensive. You see the ring gear they engage with receiving the most damage from the drive & then requiring replacement. The damage is likely the result of the engine stopping most frequently in the same spot. Strange but true.

Leave a comment:

• alsinaj
    started a topic How hard are starter pinions?

How hard are starter pinions?

I'm motorizing my bead roller, using a GM flexplate and starter pinion for 18.66:1 reduction between a 100 rpm gear motor and the driven shaft. To connect the motor shaft to the pinion I need to modify the pinion, which is HARD. Does anyone know whether such pinions are hard all the way through or just case hardened? Thx.
Working...
X