benchmaster info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• benchmaster info

I just bought a Bench Master milling machine. Where do I find specs and general Info? this machine was well maintained and very clean. I had been looking for one for over two years, this one turned up 30 miles from my house. the seller was able to deliver, set it down in my garage with in hours of my contacting him on CL.

I think Jerry Tiers has a Bench Master.

Its a nice little mill.
    You are lucky ,I spent 14 years looking for a Bench Master and finally gave up and bought a Bridgeport (1977)
    Even carried a picture of one in my wallet so machinists and shops knew what it was.
    C/L and Ebay make it a lot easier finding stuff today
    Rich
    Green Bay, WI

Comment

I do indeed. I am still in the process (slow, because I am busy and also lazy) of totally re-scraping the machine into alignment. Mine has both horizontal and vertical spindles. The machine was available with either or both.

What size table do you have? The machine was available with up to a 36" long table. Someone here or on PM has that table, and I am seriously envious, since that would be extremely handy. I have a Lewis mill, also with both H & V spindles, and am acutely aware of the limitations of short tables.

You can find information at http://www.lathes.co.uk/duro/index.html Duro was the first name of the machines, generally used for the ones that have the "I-beam" column instead of the later type.

Also:

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2101/3356.pdf

http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex...?id=2101&tab=3
      Last edited by J Tiers; 05-13-2020, 02:23 PM.
      CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
        I think Jerry Tiers has a Bench Master.

Its a nice little mill.
        You are lucky ,I spent 14 years looking for a Bench Master and finally gave up and bought a Bridgeport (1977)
        Even carried a picture of one in my wallet so machinists and shops knew what it was.
        C/L and Ebay make it a lot easier finding stuff today
        Rich
        Really? Why? Auction reseller near me has two of them he can't get rid of as well as a Leland-Gifford drill.

Comment

https://secure.villagepress.com/stor...list/group/421

If you look at this website above (our host here) you will find 2 DVD's that Rudy K did years ago on the Benchmaster mill.

lg
          no neat sig line
          near Salem OR

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

Really? Why? Auction reseller near me has two of them he can't get rid of as well as a Leland-Gifford drill.
            Location, location, and location..... Areas differ, and may have different distributions of machine brands, particularly the ones not of the "heavy industrial" type.

Comment

The machine I just bought, has the shorter table, what looks to be a factory steel bench, both the vertical, and horizontal milling set ups and what looks to be a table feed. I don't know if the feed works in two directions or just one, and if it is has different FPM settings. also don't know spindle RPM for the different pulley positions. As you can see I have a lot of questions and don't know where to go for answers.

thanks for any help, suggestions, etc you might give

Comment

The speed will depend on the motor rpm, likely 1750 rpm or so. All you need to do is count motor turns for each turn of the spindle, turning by hand, at each pulley step. Then you divide motor speed by the resulting number and you have spindle rpm. I do not recall what it is off-hand.

You should have 3 feeds, longways, crosswise (to and from column), and then table height. Do you have cranks or round handwheels? The power feed only works on the table longitudinal feed as far as I know, I don't have that.

Comment

Originally posted by rogee07 View Post
                  I just bought a Bench Master milling machine. Where do I find specs and general Info? this machine was well maintained and very clean. I had been looking for one for over two years, this one turned up 30 miles from my house. the seller was able to deliver, set it down in my garage with in hours of my contacting him on CL.
                  Pictures or it didn't happen.

Comment

For jmarkwolf, OK now it happened.
                    I will be looking forward to something helpful
                    Attached Files

Comment

Nice little machine. WAY nicer than any chinese machine that size.

Comment

Originally posted by garyhlucas View Post
                        Nice little machine. WAY nicer than any chinese machine that size.
                        They do seem nice, I'll know better when I finish going through this one.

One BIG issue is that they do not have any form of quill, the only vertical movement is in the table. All the chinese machines at least have that. The other is that there is not a lot of daylight under the head. The head is pretty huge as well, could be difficult to see under there.

Once I get mine finished and moved onto the stand I want it to be on, I will think about finding it a vertical head with a quill. I have a vertical head with NO quill on the Lewis mill as well (a much smaller one), and I definitely can see the need for a quill, I have plenty of experience of NOT having one..

Comment

I have worked for the last 15 years with a Hardinge UM with no quill. At first I was really bothered by the lack of this feature, but after a while I completely forgot about it, however I do have an old craftsman drill press, in the event I need to drill numerous holes.

On the Benchmaster mill that I just bought I am getting a lot of noise and vibration when I lower the table. I am think that there is a bad bearing in the knee set up, but can't pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

Comment

The raising and lowering screw has a bearing on top of it. That can get crud in it, or might even be missing. Also, the pair of bevel gears that couple the crank to the screw may be dirty or maladjusted.

It's hard to get to that area, you pretty much have to take off the table and pull the knee, the bearing fits in a place on the bottom of the knee.

Comment

Well, I was unable to isolate where the noise was coming from, because the sheet metal in the bench was acting as a sounding board. By using a long screw driver as a stethoscope, I found the problem came from the bronze nut on the bottom of the knee screw. I had previously given that area a good shot of WD-40 but that wasn't enough. A liberal coating of high pressure molly grease on the knee screw, then running the table up and down about a dozen times solved the problem. I hope all of the little things I am finding can resolved as easily.

Comment

Working...
                              X