Japanese Vibro Shear Face Lift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese Vibro Shear Face Lift

I've owned this Vibro Shear for 25 years and never really used it for anything productive. I bought it because opportunity rarely knocks twice on cool machines. I'm in the process of thinning down my machines to a manageable level so decided to do a few minor repairs and give her a fresh paint job. I'm hoping this will get me interested in using it, if not it's going on the chopping block. Near as I can tell it has seen very little use in it's 60 years so not much was wrong with it. I replaced the very hard to find reciprocating seal for the ram, made a new reservoir sight glass, made new vibration pads and deburred everything. It's powered by a 1 hp 3 phase motor that will be fitted with a VFD when it arrives.

The Vibro Shear is the Japanese version of the Pullmax. It's a versatile sheet metal fabrication machine. Mine accepts 14mm HSS tooling to planish, bead, shear, make joggles, make louvers, shrink/stretch and cut circles. For me the blue and yellow paint scheme is bright and cheery compared to the machine gray. Check out Randolph Bulgin (a frequent contributor to HSM magazine) shop photos to get an idea of what blue looks like in the shop. Granted it's not for everyone but It's calming and cheery for me.

Last edited by nc5a; 05-14-2020, 12:55 PM. Reason: corrected to 14 mm tooling

You must be a Wolverine fan.
    Beautiful machine, is tooling hard to find?
    Len

Comment

I don't get the Wolverine fan thing but no worries. Tooling is generally made in the shop from HSS blanks. A bit of profile grinding, welding, blending and heat treating if you have the capability and you have your tooling. Shear, beading, joggle and wire edge tooling is fairly simple to make. When you get into louvers, planishing, stretching and shrinking the tooling gets more complicated.

Comment

Lovely job, I have a MT 3 as well ,yours is the only other I have seen ,the MT 4 seems to be far more common, as you say a very versatile machine

does it move around much on the casters when you are using it ?

Comment

Originally posted by twopintsplease View Post
          Lovely job, I have a MT 3 as well ,yours is the only other I have seen ,the MT 4 seems to be far more common, as you say a very versatile machine

does it move around much on the casters when you are using it ?
          The few times I've used it I set it on timbers but I'm certain it would try to walk around on the casters. How much tooling do you have for yours?

Comment

I got the factory louver tool and doming tool with it when I first got it then the usual collection of home made things for different jobs , thumbnail dies and a Ron Nada type holder I made to hold Delrin / wooden tooling

Comment

Originally posted by nc5a View Post
              I don't get the Wolverine fan thing but no worries. Tooling is generally made in the shop from HSS blanks. A bit of profile grinding, welding, blending and heat treating if you have the capability and you have your tooling. Shear, beading, joggle and wire edge tooling is fairly simple to make. When you get into louvers, planishing, stretching and shrinking the tooling gets more complicated.
              Sorry...University of Michigan.
              That 's their colors.
              Len

Comment

Nice job Ron As always you do good work!

Comment

That is indeed some great work on a great machine. Thanks for sharing. JR

Comment

Round or square tooling ?

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                      Prolly both I would assume. Anything is available.

Prolly round shank.. JR

Comment

I have a P5 Pullmax but you can make similar tooling for the vibro shear. Most of my work is with 20 gage cold rolled and. 040 aluminum sheet.
                        I buy 3/4 flat alumn bar and cut shapes on the band saw. Then use them as inserts to go in the holders pictured
                        Ron Click image for larger version

Name:	Mounting dies.JPG
Views:	339
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1874937

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post

Prolly both I would assume. Anything is available.

Prolly round shank.. JR
                          I don't think you understand , it's one or the other, not both.

Comment

Originally posted by 3512b View Post
                            Nice job Ron As always you do good work!
                            Thanks Steve, I can see the drool on your lip from here.

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                              Sorry I forgot to clarify, square HSS tooling and it's 14 mm not 16 mm as I stated in my OP, I will edit.

Comment

Working...
                              X