I finally scored a sand blast cabinet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I finally scored a sand blast cabinet

I've been looking for one for years but could never find a good one in my price range. I found this one about 2 years ago but the guy wanted $1200 for it which was unreasonably high. I worked on him about every 6 months for nearly 2 years but couldn't get him below $700. Then the pandemic hit and he came down to $400 and I bought it. Still a bit high in my opinion but in these difficult times I didn't want to push too hard.

I wanted a clam shell style door for ease of loading/unloading with the understanding they tend to make a mess on the floor when the door is opened. You can reduce the mess with a few interior design modifications and taking the time to blow air around the door seal and gloves before opening it. As machine purchases go this has been one of my better ones in recent years. Yes, it needed some work but it was minor stuff like cleaning, repair the re-claimer bag, new gloves, new window, and re-claimer ducting. I also built a new base for it out of 2" angle so it would be more stable. The first time I put the air to it and did some testing I was very pleased. Even with the poor quality blast gun and unknown media it did a wonderful job removing rust and old paint. Like I said one of my better buys.

Hi nc5a

Well, that almost gets a "YOU SUCK" for the price you paid, that is a great find that you kept chasing to get. I have a similar unit and the discharge of the cyclone separator still can kick out fine dust. I got one of the wood dust collector bags in 3 micron I think, and put it on the discharge and have no problems in the shop at all. Something that you might think about.
    Look at the BNP gun by Zero-Blast it is a great gun and parts are available. That's what I have. Another tip might be to cut the window out bigger and square for better vision and easier to get glass. I also cut the top out of mine (8"x 36") to take a piece of glass and then installed 2-3' LED fixtures on top of the unit and WOW what a difference that made. Again just a suggestion.

Bottom line congradulations a GREAT purchase.

TX
    Mr fxiit for the family
    Chris

Comment

I agree with Chris! Great buy for the money. Having just gone through this myself, I think it's easy for our perspective to get skewed by junk cabinets from HF and similar places. When we see a new "consumer grade" cabinet for $180, it's easy to think we should be able to get a used "industrial quality" cabinet for a few hundred but that certainly wasn't my experience. I paid $300 for mine but it needed about $500 in replacement parts so $400 for a decent quality cabinet that works with minimal effort is a great deal.

Comment

You suck! Do you have enough air to run it?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Fixit View Post
          Hi nc5a

Well, that almost gets a "YOU SUCK" for the price you paid, that is a great find that you kept chasing to get. I have a similar unit and the discharge of the cyclone separator still can kick out fine dust. I got one of the wood dust collector bags in 3 micron I think, and put it on the discharge and have no problems in the shop at all. Something that you might think about.
          Look at the BNP gun by Zero-Blast it is a great gun and parts are available. That's what I have. Another tip might be to cut the window out bigger and square for better vision and easier to get glass. I also cut the top out of mine (8"x 36") to take a piece of glass and then installed 2-3' LED fixtures on top of the unit and WOW what a difference that made. Again just a suggestion.

Bottom line congradulations a GREAT purchase.

TX
          Mr fxiit for the family
          Chris
          Chris,

Thanks for the tip on the bag and gun, I'll into it. The window is going to be upgraded to a rectangular shape with it's own bezel for the reasons you mentioned. I'm going to try small halogen light fixtures inside the cabinet and get rid of the 18" tube on top. Tacoma company recommends them because they help keep the media dry. Humidity may not be an issue here in South Central Alaska but the idea sounds good. I'm also going to paint the inside so the media will tend to slide off instead of stick on the surface.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post
            I agree with Chris! Great buy for the money. Having just gone through this myself, I think it's easy for our perspective to get skewed by junk cabinets from HF and similar places. When we see a new "consumer grade" cabinet for $180, it's easy to think we should be able to get a used "industrial quality" cabinet for a few hundred but that certainly wasn't my experience. I paid $300 for mine but it needed about $500 in replacement parts so $400 for a decent quality cabinet that works with minimal effort is a great deal.
            Thanks Fasttrack,

So far I have $400 for the cabinet and $122 in materials. A new pair of Tacoma gloves, 4 new acrylic windows, 2 90 degree 4" elbows, 4" X 6' piece of sheet metal duct, 10' stick of 2" angle and a new zipper for the re-claimer bag.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Tungsten dipper View Post
              You suck! Do you have enough air to run it?
              Plenty of air but drying it on a budget might be a problem.

Comment

These trays for catching excess when door opens works good,this a 3'x3' Canablast Cabinet. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2869.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	1874882Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2863.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	1874881

Comment

Yup, you suck. Great buy IMO.
                  I have a similar size cabinet from scat blast.
                  These are the mods I made:
                  1/4" galvanized screen spaced about 1/4" off the inside of the glass. Led strip inside/top wrapped in the 1/8" screen.
                  Carbide nozzle with new gun.
                  New gloves.
                  For the vacuum I placed a vacuum motor in a window so it spits the dust out of the building. No filter, no nothing. Works great.
                  Desicant filter which is much needed in SE NC.
                  When the beads change color I dry them out in a "hot box" I use for storing honey I extract. I also do a lot of drying by using large air storage tanks and coils of copper tubing.
                  I have two air compressors that are capable of over 30 cfm at 90 psi but the second compressor never comes on.

Does anyone have experience with AO media from HF ? I've found it to be extremely dusty. Is it the media or me?

Comment

Hey nc5a,

Something that you might try to get is sheet rubber or what Iv'e used is called TPO roofing material. It is a commercially installed sheet roofing that maybe you have seen. It is usually white or gray and If you get some you hang it in the cabinet and that is the only real way to keep the media from bouncing around the cabinet. Your paint will last for a while but just like the job your doing it will also remove the paint inside the cabinet.

I stopped by a construction project that was roofing the building and asked one of the guys if I could get a scrap piece of the TPO roofing, he gave me enough to do the cabinet probably 3 times, so see if there's a project going on and stop by and ask, the most they will say is go away.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200325_194236254.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	373.6 KB
ID:	1874993 Just thought I'd toss in this for reference about the lights.

Challenger, The one thing that you might look at is your air pressure, it might be too much and brakes down the media too much. Also it might mean you have not got enough negative air movement in the cabinet to remove the dust, which is a problem for LOTS of cabinets. If you have a dust collector of any kind also check the filtering, it's amazing how fast these plug up when the media does brake down quickly.

Let us know how you guys get along, as we all learn from each others experiences.

TX
                    Mr fixit for the family
                    Chris
                    Last edited by Mr Fixit; 05-14-2020, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
                      These trays for catching excess when door opens works good,this a 3'x3' Canablast Cabinet. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2869.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	1874882Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2863.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	1874881
                      Tundra, you always have cool solutions problems, well done. I don't think trays will work in my case because the door swings out and up away from the cabinet. In addition to interior changes to the cabinet I'm going to have to learn to blow air around the door seal and gloves before opening the door.

Comment

Hey nc5a,

Something that you might try to get is sheet rubber or what Iv'e used is called TPO roofing material. It is a commercially installed sheet roofing that maybe you have seen. It is usually white or gray and If you get some you hang it in the cabinet and that is the only real way to keep the media from bouncing around the cabinet. Your paint will last for a while but just like the job your doing it will also remove the paint inside the cabinet.

I stopped by a construction project that was roofing the building and asked one of the guys if I could get a scrap piece of the TPO roofing, he gave me enough to do the cabinet probably 3 times, so see if there's a project going on and stop by and ask, the most they will say is go away.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200325_194236254.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	373.6 KB
ID:	1874993 Just thought I'd toss in this for reference about the lights.

Challenger, The one thing that you might look at is your air pressure, it might be too much and brakes down the media too much. Also it might mean you have not got enough negative air movement in the cabinet to remove the dust, which is a problem for LOTS of cabinets. If you have a dust collector of any kind also check the filtering, it's amazing how fast these plug up when the media does brake down quickly.

Let us know how you guys get along, as we all learn from each others experiences.

TX
                        Mr fixit for the family
                        Chris
                        Mr Fixit, Yes I know what TPO roofing is and that is a fantastic idea and looking at your cabinet I may have to rethink my halogen lighting idea. I can see that long LED lights on top might be better. The only concern is the space on top of my cabinet is limited because of the clam shell design and suction control ports. Still a great idea, thanks.

Challenger, Fixit has a point. Too much air pressure causes premature breakdown of media. When I put the air to my cabinet the first time the air pressure regulator was set to 100 psi so I backed it off to 90 then to 80. I'm now at 75 and can probably go lower.

Comment

Originally posted by nc5a View Post

Challenger, Fixit has a point. Too much air pressure causes premature breakdown of media. When I put the air to my cabinet the first time the air pressure regulator was set to 100 psi so I backed it off to 90 then to 80. I'm now at 75 and can probably go lower.
                          I run 60psi with 3/16 Carbide Nozzle and my compressor just keeps up,have been as low as 30 psi.They claim these can go lower than that,this is a pressure style not syphon style,I use glass beads pretty much exclusively.

Comment

Hey nc5a,

What about welding the thing shut and then cut doors in the side. It's your cabinet, you can do whatever you need to to make it work the best possible. Here is a link to the lights I got and the filter bag that I got for the discharge of the cyclone dust collector. About the air pressure, I too have been around 40psi and glass media with good results. I also have course media and still use it at about 60psi for the heavy stuff and powder coating removal.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077QN3BBF...roduct_details
                            https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TX
                            Mr fixit for the family
                            Chris

Comment

Hey nc5a,

What about welding the thing shut and then cut doors in the side. It's your cabinet, you can do whatever you need to to make it work the best possible. Here is a link to the lights I got and the filter bag that I got for the discharge of the cyclone dust collector. About the air pressure, I too have been around 40psi and glass media with good results. I also have course media and still use it at about 60psi for the heavy stuff and powder coating removal.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077QN3BBF...roduct_details
                              https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TX
                              Mr fixit for the family
                              Chris
                              Chris, Thanks for the links. Welding it shut isn't an option I would do for this cabinet. I looked long and hard for a used clam shell design because many of the parts I clean are heavy and a clam shell design makes it easier to the parts in and out.

Comment

Working...
                              X