French hill climb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French hill climb

I wish Sir John was still with us. I'd like to know what he thought of hill climb. He was a side-car racer in his youth so he probably saw one of these too: https://youtu.be/-_KJ7wUvedE

What's the strategy here? Most of the machines are two strokes but I heard one four-stroke.

The front tires are studded with bolts, the rear tires have scoops -- what's not to like? Only ice racing might be crazier.
    Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Well that looks like fun, but a kind of fun that has a remarkably good chance of ending badly.

I'd far rather go the other way on that hill, in the winter.
    CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

YeeHaw! hold my beer, and watch this!
      I cut it off twice; it's still too short
      Oregon, USA

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
        Well that looks like fun, but a kind of fun that has a remarkably good chance of ending badly.

I'd far rather go the other way on that hill, in the winter.
        Agreed. If they groomed that hill side a little and filled in the ruts and channels someone might actually be able to make it to the top.

JL.....................

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
          Agreed. If they groomed that hill side a little and filled in the ruts and channels someone might actually be able to make it to the top.

JL.....................
          That wouldn't be any fun for the spectator!

Comment

I only watched 6 minutes of the video so I'm not quite sure... is the goal to make it to the top of the hill?
            It seems that just surviving an attempt should be worth some sort of prize.
            Perhaps that's what all the groupies are for.
            SE MI, USA

Comment

Sign me up. Always wanted to try it, but I don't bounce like I used too......

Would love to get the local ski hill to run a hill climb in the summer, I think it would be a great attraction to the area.

Comment

I'm wondering if a good trials bike rider might not do better?
                Kansas City area

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
                  I wondered the same thing. There must be some sort of a time bonus or penalty.

Mike

Comment

I wondered the same thing.

Comment

Probably not. Trials riders are almost in slow motion. You need a fair amount of speed to make that hill. You won't do it in granny gear.

JL..............

Comment

Originally posted by DrMike View Post
                        I only watched 6 minutes of the video so I'm not quite sure... is the goal to make it to the top of the hill?
                        It seems that just surviving an attempt should be worth some sort of prize.
                        Perhaps that's what all the groupies are for.
                        I didn't watch the entire clip. Did anyone ever make it to the top??
                        I think the crowd just likes crash and burn.

JL................

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                          Probably not. Trials riders are almost in slow motion. You need a fair amount of speed to make that hill. You won't do it in granny gear.

JL..............
                          looks like it would be pretty easy if you traversed....rabbit and hare kind of thing
                          in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

looks like it would be pretty easy if you traversed....rabbit and hare kind of thing
                            See the white lines designating a narrow track? The riders get yellow flagged and run DQ'ed if they cross the lines. It's a very set course boundary.

There's other hill climbs where they are relatively easy to make it to the top and it comes down to how fast a run it is. But by far the ones more popular with the fans are the ones that are almost impossible.

More fun to watch carnage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2dQ6j77KUk
                            Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post

See the white lines designating a narrow track? The riders get yellow flagged and run DQ'ed if they cross the lines. It's a very set course boundary.
                              It's been decades since I had a dirt bike, but I don't see why a moderately skilled trials rider would have any trouble traversing between the white lines.
                              in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X