Casting terminology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casting terminology

Recently on several podcast’s and YouTube Video coming from the US I find it odd to hear reference to “casted” parts were as Aus , NZ , UK were I am familiar it would be said a “cast” part, is this normal or a linguistic oddity with those people

Originally posted by twopintsplease View Post
    Recently on several podcast’s and YouTube Video coming from the US I find it odd to hear reference to “casted” parts were as Aus , NZ , UK were I am familiar it would be said a “cast” part, is this normal or a linguistic oddity with those people
    Bloody dumb Yanks, I'd say

Frankly, if I heard one of my countrymen saying "casted" in a YouTube video, I'd switch to a different video, assuming that the speaker had absolutely zero credibility.

It does seem "casted" is gaining popularity in the spoken language, though: https://grammarist.com/usage/casted/

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post

Bloody dumb Yanks, I'd say

Frankly, if I heard one of my countrymen saying "casted" in a YouTube video, I'd switch to a different video, assuming that the speaker had absolutely zero credibility.

It does seem "casted" is gaining popularity in the spoken language, though: https://grammarist.com/usage/casted/
      Took the words right out of my mouth.

-js
      There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

A suffix added to words in the English language indicating a past tense.

acted
        bollocked
        creamed
        disfigured
        educated
        buggered
        greeted
        hardened

And so on

Comment

Were they casted in aluminium, and then lathed using a dee are oh?

"cast" is the correct when refering to a "cast part". I wouldn't put too much stock in things said on you tube and pod casts. While sometimes the message can be good, the delivery is terrible. And also the inverse is true as well. In short, you tube is like a box of chocolates.

Comment

If you pay attention to all the grammatical, pronounciation, syntax and just plain misuse you will notice many, many errors of speech. One of my favorites: "Had went"
            “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

As you know, English is a very irregular language. The past tense of "cast" is "cast". My wife (my authority on language) points out that your verbs are "regular" while "cast" is an "irregular" verb.

-js
              There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

Agreed, too d--n many illiterate fools that are products of policitically correct schools!

Comment

Originally posted by Corbettprime View Post
                  Agreed, too d--n many illiterate fools that are products of policitically correct schools!
                  Politically correct schools? Where on earth did that come from?

Are you seriously suggesting that illiteracy is greater in "politically correct" California than in, for example, Mississippi or Arkansas or (ahem) Colorado?

Oh, BTW, you might want to use your spell checker...

-js

Comment

I casted that bad capacitator in the bin, along with a resistitor and the transistitor. They were both bad- one was burnt, and the other was burned.
                    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
                      I casted that bad capacitator in the bin, along with a resistitor and the transistitor. They were both bad- one was burnt, and the other was burned.
                      Gotta love it 😀
                      “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post
                        As you know, English is a very irregular language. The past tense of "cast" is "cast". My wife (my authority on language) points out that your verbs are "regular" while "cast" is an "irregular" verb.

-js
                        Very irregular, indeed. And the past tense of "cast" was "casted" but that fell out of favor around the 16th century or so. But it's appearance in both printed and spoken language is on the rise again. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective), English is a dynamic language that continues to evolve in both diction and grammar.

Comment

-js
                          And you never know in advance what is the spelling and pronunciation.

To make things more complicated I learned British English in the school and nearly half of the tv series I watch are British.

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post

And you never know in advance what is the spelling and pronunciation.

To make things more complicated I learned British English in the school and nearly half of the tv series I watch are British.
                            You learned English, not American "simplified" English. Please excuse the correction!

Dave H. (the other one)
                            Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Holbrook Model C Number 13 lathe, Testa 2U universal mill, bikes and tools

Comment

Politically correct schools? Where on earth did that come from?

Are you seriously suggesting that illiteracy is greater in "politically correct" California than in, for example, Mississippi or Arkansas or (ahem) Colorado?

Oh, BTW, you might want to use your spell checker...

-js
                              Yup, California is definitely worse than Colorado. And it's kind of fun to bypass spellchecker and see who noticed.

Comment

Working...
                              X