Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• danlb
    replied
    I was watching How It's Made with the wife just yesterday. Every time they gave a measure in metric they flashed the imperial equivalent on the screen in huge letters. It was kind of funny, since I did not really care about the exact size of the bread vats that some bakery is using. But it splashed across the screen the helpful hint that "1800 kg = 2 tons". I suspect that people were impressed enough that it was thousands of units. No need to convert it to a paltry 2 tons.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dubeau
    replied
    Originally posted by SVS View Post
    Dan, I bet your wife converted racing expense to rooms of new carpet, countertops, etc. 😜
    Her internal currency is yarn. She won

Leave a comment:

• Corbettprime
    replied
    Half of the population is below the average IQ!!

Leave a comment:

• SVS
    replied
    Dan, I bet your wife converted racing expense to rooms of new carpet, countertops, etc. 😜

Leave a comment:

• dian
    replied
    another, incredible and absurd example is when who and other smart organisations tell you how much alcohol is harmful. they will use "units". when i looked into this a while ago, i found out german units were about twice the size of austrian "units" in alcohol content (or the other way around). the argument is, people would not understand if you told them how many grams/ounces (or whatever in real terms) they should consume. its not only dumbing people but also confusing people, probably to keep them busy figuring out things that dont really matter.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dubeau
    replied
    Originally posted by SVS View Post
    So called science shows expressing length and mass in terms of Empire State buildings or elephants is my pet peeve.
    I always get a kick out of shows measuring things in "football fields", and "how many cheeseburgers it weighs". Just contributing to the the dumbing down of the population. Just tell me in real units, and I can envision whatever made up **** I want to relate it to in my own head. My brain doesn't compute weights in "cheeseburgers", what if my brain works in hotdogs, and submarine sandwiches?

Back when I was racing I DID equate the monetary value of things in relation to tires though. Wife wanted to go away for a weekend but it cost 2 fronts and a rear. . Sorry too expensive

Leave a comment:

• SVS
    replied
    So called science shows expressing length and mass in terms of Empire State buildings or elephants is my pet peeve.

Leave a comment:

• Mcgyver
    replied
    Originally posted by dian View Post

thats another topic, but sometimes amazing. any technical program on tv will have an large number of stupid mistakes, wrong units and expressions. i always wonder how thats even possible. the last one i watched used "radius", "diameter" and even "circumference" freely as synonyms. made by stupid for stupid is the only explanation.
    ignorant often accompanies stupid but its not the same thing. I agree it does reflect poorly on the those shows that they wouldn't have even a high school level of technical competence present to catch the the worst of it. Viewers on otoh, are the cream of crop. The dummies are watching honey booboo

that there are occasional differences between Canadian English
    You mean English English. Accept for colloquialisms, Canada and afaik the rest of the commonwealth uses English, as per the English.
    Last edited by Mcgyver; 05-18-2020, 07:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dian
    replied
    Originally posted by TRX View Post
    > casted

There's a show called "How It's Made." It's from Canada. I realize Canada is bilingual, and that there are occasional differences between Canadian English and American English, but their script people are idiots. *Every time* they show a welding process, they call it "soldering." Every episode I saw, there was at least one misuse of a technical term that made me go "eh? What?"
    thats another topic, but sometimes amazing. any technical program on tv will have an large number of stupid mistakes, wrong units and expressions. i always wonder how thats even possible. the last one i watched used "radius", "diameter" and even "circumference" freely as synonyms. made by stupid for stupid is the only explanation.

Leave a comment:

• SLK001
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave C View Post
    One of my favorites: "Had went"
    The one that really bugs me is, "Your going to get in trouble..."

Leave a comment:

• Corbettprime
    replied
    Different strokes for different folks! Different cultures have different meanings for the same words. Thats what makes life interesting. "Forgive him, Caesar, for he believes the rules of his tribe are the laws of the universe!" . You should see what fun my English son-in-law and I have at times trying to understand each other's conversion. A sense of humor helps. I pay my bills by check, my cousin in Canada uses cheques.
    ​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• TRX
    replied
    > casted

There's a show called "How It's Made." It's from Canada. I realize Canada is bilingual, and that there are occasional differences between Canadian English and American English, but their script people are idiots. *Every time* they show a welding process, they call it "soldering." Every episode I saw, there was at least one misuse of a technical term that made me go "eh? What?"

Leave a comment:

• SVS
    replied
    Our Congress critters know HOW to prevaricate.....

Leave a comment:

• Mcgyver
    replied
    Too bad....I always figured if you want to know the correct way to speak English, all you need to do is ask an Englishman.

Leave a comment:

• Baz
    replied
    "To make things more complicated I learned British English in the school and nearly half of the tv series I watch are British" "the school" ? Only Eton might qualify for that epithet. Anyway in the UK we have the opposite problem with so much of the TV being of American origin that many children and very many immigrants have mixed comprehension of correct colloquial Queen's English, even before adding regional dialects. One of the features of most languages for native speakers is the deliberate miss-spelling or miss-pronunciation of words for effect and emphasis. However with poor education this can lead to children getting confused or simply learning the wrong version. What is galling is that many of our Members of Parliament and ill-educated reporters even on the BBC do not know the difference between 'procrastinate' and 'prevaricate' and they use the words a lot, or rather use the wrong word often.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X