• Show
Clear All

• Geo. Can we Barter (trade goods, not money) Here? JR

No money exchanges. Just items for items. Barter. JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Already have.

Comment

wasn't lathe leveling or whether the OD matters to knurling supposed to be next up on the rotation?

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
        wasn't lathe leveling or whether the OD matters to knurling supposed to be next up on the rotation?
        I'd like to discuss how storing your HSS lathe tools stored inside a simple pyramid after use restores the honed cutting edge.

Comment

Reggie, that pyramid trick will only work if you also cover the whole thing with aluminum foil and ground it. That will keep Big Brother's interfering radio waves from dulling the edges.
          S E Michigan

Comment

won't that pyramid full of tools get pretty heavy while wearing it on your head???

Comment

You would think with all of this time in our shops people would be posting more than these rehashed topics. Either that or more people are spending time drinking and just come up with wacky things to post

Comment

Dang, that conversation took a turn pretty quick.

Comment

Originally posted by sid pileski View Post
                  You would think with all of this time in our shops people would be posting more than these rehashed topics. Either that or more people are spending time drinking and just come up with wacky things to post
                  Yes, you might think that. But some seem to be spending even more time time here commenting on every thread.
                  I'm trying to catch up on projects, but the pile of obstacles to forward progress doesn't seem to be getting any smaller.
                  Last edited by reggie_obe; 05-16-2020, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OaklandGB View Post
                    Reggie, that pyramid trick will only work if you also cover the whole thing with aluminum foil and ground it. That will keep Big Brother's interfering radio waves from dulling the edges.
                    Not if oriented to align with the magnetic lines of the Earth in relation to you geographic location.

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
                      No money exchanges. Just items for items. Barter. JR
                      Well to bring this thread back on topic, what do you have to offer there JR?

I have a like-new Harbor Freight 6" caliper that I'd like to trade for a Monarch 10ee lathe if you have one in good condition.
                      Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl View Post

Well to bring this thread back on topic, what do you have to offer there JR?

I have a like-new Harbor Freight 6" caliper that I'd like to trade for a Monarch 10ee lathe if you have one in good condition.
                        what year?

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

what year?
                          For the Monarch 10EE.....

I will bid a vintage Craftsman Teardrop style 3/8" drive fine-tooth ratchet, never used in commercial service, V series, good chrome, no rust. Only issue is it occasionally skips a tooth.

Comment

Originally posted by sid pileski View Post
                            Some are. The problem is machine related topics get 6 replies, while topics like what is your favourite quiche recipes get 30. Mental masturbation threads where you're looking for the best and theoretically most accurate way possible to drill a #7 hole for a 1/4-20 tap run on for 10 pages or more, and get replies from "buy a VMC", to "prick punch and drill it by hand", and "I drilled a hole once".

I'm on a lunch break from trying to stuff a gas engine into an old kids electric gocart. A bit of welding, a bit of wrenching, a little machining, and a great kids project. I might post about it, or I might ask for dinner suggestions. Coin flip.

I mean all that in the best "taking the piss" way possible. Go build stuff, take pictures, post. 👍

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post

Some are. The problem is machine related topics get 6 replies, while topics like what is your favourite quiche recipes get 30. Mental masturbation threads where you're looking for the best and theoretically most accurate way possible to drill a #7 hole for a 1/4-20 tap run on for 10 pages or more, and get replies from "buy a VMC", to "prick punch and drill it by hand", and "I drilled a hole once".

I'm on a lunch break from trying to stuff a gas engine into an old kids electric gocart. A bit of welding, a bit of wrenching, a little machining, and a great kids project. I might post about it, or I might ask for dinner suggestions. Coin flip.

I mean all that in the best "taking the piss" way possible. Go build stuff, take pictures, post. 👍
                              This.

You forgot about helpful Harry's jumping in to tell you how they'd have done it (better).

I don't mind the OT, I partake or step over it....but agree there is almost a disincentive to posting on topic

Last edited by Mcgyver; 05-16-2020, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X