Geo. Can we Barter (trade goods, not money) Here? JR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by George Bulliss View Post

All is good here. Was just going to wait until JR PM'd me but will toss out my opinion on the matter now. I don't care.

As long as things don't get carried away and I don't receive a ton of emails and PMs I'm fine with it.
    Im solly George for not following up. I thought it was gonna be a no biggy. And hate to say it during the situation many folks are in I thought a get back to a simpler way of getting what you need was a good idea.

Guess not. With the push back already I didnt want to put anymore food on yer plate. Yer right, I should have followed up.

My Bust. JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post

Im solly George for not following up. I thought it was gonna be a no biggy. And hate to say it during the situation many folks are in I thought a get back to a simpler way of getting what you need was a good idea.

Guess not. With the push back already I didnt want to put anymore food on yer plate. Yer right, I should have followed up.

My Bust. JR
      What’s simpler than cash money? Our whole economy is based on it.

And policy on that is long established.

Comment

Originally posted by AWS View Post

And this is where bartering devolves into money, as trade items are a royal pain.

Hence: money

Reggie- I every now and again I put the tub up on Philly CL. Not even sure what’s in the bucket at this point, as not looked at it in a decade and was mostly making a joke.

Slippery slope, George.
        Again, NO Money!! AWS? You said money twice? An issue for you? No money exchange, at all!!

Barter. This thing for something else. Could be a fresh baked loaf of bread.

I make bread. Git off yer high Horse and let it happen. JR

Comment

Bartertown rules? Will the Wheel be in force? It worked for Mad Max.

I think we may see the General section cluttered with new trade request threads. Might be better to put them all in one?

Comment

Again, NO Money!! AWS? You said money twice? An issue for you? No money exchange, at all!!

I make bread. Git off yer high Horse and let it happen. JR
            I understand how bartering works, JR. and that money exists simply because bartering is a PITA.

i also understand that offering something up for barter will likely lead to transactions handled privately involving money, making it a de facto for sale thing rather than barter.

Which there’s a longstanding policy about.

Comment

I get the occasional response to an ad "will you trade" Standard response is " in theory yes, but what are the odds? Kind of why currency was invented lol". I've never seen it work as its so much easier to sell your crap to someone who wants it etc. JR, I think you're viewing barter as something very different from selling. imo its the same thing, still a sale, just a different 'currency' offered in exchange. End of the day thought, I'm with you - I'd like to see exchanges here (if we can call it that to get past the barter/sale nomenclature), but we all know the long standing constraint.

However if George is ok with it, the rest is moot. Whats the sensible way to come at it....list what we'd let go and people then pm you their proposed trades? One big long thread or a do this in 'networking'? If would become a bit much imo if a lot of new threads started popping up in General.

Comment

I'd like to see exchanges here as well, but it's not my call and I ruffle enough feathers around here; need to pick my battles.

As far as the barter thing, go for it. I have a feeling that the limitations of bartering combined with the fact that the readers are so geographically scattered will serve to keep it from getting too overwhelming.
                George
                Traverse City, MI

Comment

Originally posted by AWS View Post

And this is where bartering devolves into money, as trade items are a royal pain.

Hence: money

Reggie- I every now and again I put the tub up on Philly CL. Not even sure what’s in the bucket at this point, as not looked at it in a decade and was mostly making a joke.

Slippery slope, George.
                  How did your offering de-evolve into money?
                  Being that you are near Philly, I'd would have been inclined to meet you at some halfway point.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

How did your offering de-evolve into money?
                    Being that you are near Philly, I'd would have been inclined to meet you at some halfway point.
                    By way of it being a joke about chickens and ducks rather than a serious offer.

But really, money is nothing more than another form of bartering that is far easier to deal with and where this whole thing will eventually end up.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                      I get the occasional response to an ad "will you trade" Standard response is " in theory yes, but what are the odds? Kind of why currency was invented lol". I've never seen it work as its so much easier to sell your crap to someone who wants it etc. JR, I think you're viewing barter as something very different from selling. imo its the same thing, still a sale, just a different 'currency' offered in exchange. End of the day thought, I'm with you - I'd like to see exchanges here (if we can call it that to get past the barter/sale nomenclature), but we all know the long standing constraint.

However if George is ok with it, the rest is moot. Whats the sensible way to come at it....list what we'd let go and people then pm you their proposed trades? One big long thread or a do this in 'networking'? If would become a bit much imo if a lot of new threads started popping up in General.
                      Damm! In retrospect. I opened my big mouth and should not have.

Basically what I am telling you this "barter" stuff will be shut down when it seems folks are abusing it. JR

Oh, thats an Opinion.. You guys are gonna mess it up.

Dont anyone PM me Please. JR

P.S. If you Private Message Mr. B this entire experiment is done. Thats a heads up. And you already know I dont answer.

I guess its up to you to make it thrive or die. JR
                      Last edited by JRouche; Yesterday, 04:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X