Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gravely tractor axle repair ideas needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
    Indeed, I'm wondering how the fix went. I've used copper blocks to build up weld edges before, but I never tried a keyway of any kind. I always just filled them in and had them re-machined.
    nickel-city-fab,

The only progress I've made so far is locating 1/4" thick copper to make the woodruff key. The copper is on my work bench but other seemingly more important jobs keep cropping up. I think this happens to most of us home shop guys. We get started on a project and then get distracted or something more important needs to be taken care of. I'll post the progress on the copper woodruff key, axle and hub repair in a few days. Right now I have a couple more important things going on.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by nc5a View Post
      ... but other seemingly more important jobs keep cropping up. I think this happens to most of us home shop guys. We get started on a project and then get distracted or something more important needs to be taken care of. Right now I have a couple more important things going on.

Ron
      Same here. I'm *supposed* to be doing all kinds of other things (home improvement, gutting the place, re-painting, cleaning, etc etc etc...) instead I play with the machinery or online I just get distracted by stuff....
      25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Most of my projects get stalled when I need to order a part, or don't have time to finish it in one sitting. By the time I get the needed part, or get some more free time, something else gets dumped into my lap. Once in a while I'll get large chunks of free time, and I'll start knocking off all the little things that have been hanging around for too long. The past week has been like that. I've finished more projects in the last week than I did in the last year. Also started more too lol. It's a never ending cycle.

Comment

Hi i have had similar problems on hydraulic motor drives on header another solution is to re cut existing keyway to next size up small angle grinder blade and die grinder then you can the either cut matching keyway in hub or reduce external part of key to fit existing hub

Comment

Working...
          X