Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gravely tractor axle repair ideas needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rdarty
    replied
    Hi i have had similar problems on hydraulic motor drives on header another solution is to re cut existing keyway to next size up small angle grinder blade and die grinder then you can the either cut matching keyway in hub or reduce external part of key to fit existing hub

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dubeau
    replied
    Most of my projects get stalled when I need to order a part, or don't have time to finish it in one sitting. By the time I get the needed part, or get some more free time, something else gets dumped into my lap. Once in a while I'll get large chunks of free time, and I'll start knocking off all the little things that have been hanging around for too long. The past week has been like that. I've finished more projects in the last week than I did in the last year. Also started more too lol. It's a never ending cycle.

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    Originally posted by nc5a View Post
    ... but other seemingly more important jobs keep cropping up. I think this happens to most of us home shop guys. We get started on a project and then get distracted or something more important needs to be taken care of. Right now I have a couple more important things going on.

Ron
    Same here. I'm *supposed* to be doing all kinds of other things (home improvement, gutting the place, re-painting, cleaning, etc etc etc...) instead I play with the machinery or online I just get distracted by stuff....

Leave a comment:

• nc5a
    replied
    Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
    Indeed, I'm wondering how the fix went. I've used copper blocks to build up weld edges before, but I never tried a keyway of any kind. I always just filled them in and had them re-machined.
    nickel-city-fab,

The only progress I've made so far is locating 1/4" thick copper to make the woodruff key. The copper is on my work bench but other seemingly more important jobs keep cropping up. I think this happens to most of us home shop guys. We get started on a project and then get distracted or something more important needs to be taken care of. I'll post the progress on the copper woodruff key, axle and hub repair in a few days. Right now I have a couple more important things going on.

Ron

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    Indeed, I'm wondering how the fix went. I've used copper blocks to build up weld edges before, but I never tried a keyway of any kind. I always just filled them in and had them re-machined.

Leave a comment:

• Glug
    replied
    Originally posted by Doozer View Post
    Well, I did have sex with a nurse in the bucket loader of my New Holland tractor.
    Yeahbut, did the nurse fix the woodruff?

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied
    🤣

----------------Doozer

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    Well, I did have sex with a nurse in the bucket loader of my New Holland tractor.
    In my mind it helped justify the purchase price of buying the tractor.
    (trying to bring this thread back with some tractor content).

-Doozer
    So you did something sexy to a tractor? (say it aloud...)

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied
    In my mind it helped justify the purchase price of buying the tractor.
    (trying to bring this thread back with some tractor content).

-Doozer

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied

Whores are a cheaper long term investment.
    Just saying.

-Doozer
    Nah, I'm too square for that... problem is that I'm just not into Tantric Machining.

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied
    I'm trying to get all my "fun stuff" out of the way before I get married, hell I'm only 53 and I got projects yet....

Whores are a cheaper long term investment.
    Just saying.

-Doozer

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    I'm trying to get all my "fun stuff" out of the way before I get married, hell I'm only 53 and I got projects yet....

Dang kids.......

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied

Thats what I call "planning ahead". I can say about the old iron disease, it can be expensive. My 1950 Lincoln welder? Yeah. That $100 welder turned into almost $2k and it still doesn't run right, I'll probably be money ahead to just swap a new engine like you did. The electricals are fine, it makes the most beautiful DC you ever saw this side of a truck battery... 200 amps all day long and the generator doesn't even get warm.

For yard and lawn tools, I been really wanting one of those old David Bradley 2-wheel tractors with the plow/disc/harrow......

Leave a comment:

• nc5a
    replied
    Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
    Don't you just hate it when the insides come out to play?. I bet that repower wasn't cheap.....But it's probably a real workhorse now.
    Gravely tractors are work horses but spendy to repair. The 23 HP Vanguard was $1795 + shipping so basically a 2000 dollar bill to my door in Alaska. Then add a total rebuild of the 50" mower deck, new used gas tank, seat, battery, clutches, new tires front and rear, new wheels in the front, New ignition switch, new hour meter and a power vac shipped from New Jersey. My wife was ready to kill me as the cost kept climbing.

So one might ask why in the world I bought another one. Well at $250 I couldn't pass on it. Yes, I'm a sick individual, just like most of you guys.

Leave a comment:

• Glug
    replied
    A buddy of mine has a 3 year old John Deere riding mower. Hydrostatic drive. I mowed his lawn with it, and one day we used it to pull a bunch of cedars out of the woods, with long rope and straps (at first he wanted to carry them out - lumberjackin with the tractor was way more fun). The ride while mowing was very jarring on my back compared to the Gravely. The hydrostatic drive also surprised me - I couldn't really coast like I do on the G. That made modulating the speed a bit jarring. That might get better with practice, but I missed being able to smoothly go to neutral and then ease back into the drive.

It really made me appreciate what a sweet ride the old Gravely is, despite the H pattern gearbox and clutches.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X