I venture to assume the Home Shop Machinists have more knowledge JR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I venture to assume the Home Shop Machinists have more knowledge JR

I am seeing a changing machine shop environment. I see a lot more orders and production. Specific fields yes.

I dont know.

Just clam up and protect your loved ones is all I can say. JR

Sorry, you sound troubled but that didn't make a lot of sense. You need to Esplain things better. 😕
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Are you saying you currently see more orders as in coming into your business right now or are you predicting after things settle down more orders in the coming year than the same period last year? Is this wishful thinking that more engineering work will be brought onshore to the USA.

Comment

Hey JR, You testing out some of that home brew again?
        OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

If you like putting labels on things (not a big fan of that myself)
          then I would say a tool and die maker has the most machining
          knowledge as a rule. But there are exceptions. I see you home
          shop gerbils struggle quite a bit with machining, so not sure if
          you are posting here to try and feel good about yourself or what.
          It is true that like-minded people enjoy patting each other on the
          back, especially when booze is involved. So whatever gets you
          sausage solid is what I say. Of course, engineers are better looking
          but have a harder time getting a date.

-Doozer
          DZER

Comment

My hovercraft is full of eels

Comment

He must mean we are getting taken over by the Chinese.

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
                I am seeing a changing machine shop environment. I see a lot more orders and production. Specific fields yes.

I dont know.

Whatz that mean,?
                changing evironment as in zombie protection?
                more orders for ar lowers? 50% ar's?
                orders for self defense items?
                protect yur family and gonads?

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post
                  My hovercraft is full of eels
                  I will not buy this record, it is scratched.

Comment

I think I know what he means, I was an amateur Model Engineer but due to family and other circumstances found myself in Canada as an immigrant looking for work in the quasi legal field in which I had previously earned a living . However, it soon became obvious that work would be hard to come by, As a stopgap I took work as a machinist. rather to my surprise I found that I was quite successful.
                    Cutting a long story short, I never went back to office work, only got fired once, spent 30 years as machinist working for others and ran a very successful side machine shop business for 35 years till I retired.
                    I found that the knowledge I had acquired out of interest sometimes put me a little ahead of many of the machinists I worked with who, though more skilled than I , had only a limited range in which they were comfortable and capable.
                    I would add that most of the fellows I worked with were a great source of help and encouragement.
                    Hope this is of interest David Powell

Comment

Too much of "fried egg and cheese samich on a Thom. Muffin", I'm afraid.
                      Mike
                      WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
                        There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

I appreciate what David Powell is saying. His life experiences are somewhat similar to mine. Any skill or experience you pick up before settling down to your main life's work is good. I worked as a auto and truck mechanic for a few years while studying electricity and electronics on the side. I had always wanted to be a machinist and at 24, finally got into a good apprenticeship that I stayed with for 30 years. Then ran my own shop at home for another 20. Life has been good.

Sarge41

Incidentally, I have no idea what JR is talking about, maybe someone can enlighten me.
                          Last edited by sarge41; 05-17-2020, 07:13 PM.

Comment

I wonder how many of us did this change of direction thing. After graduating I took a job in electronics, my hobby, as a stop gap. After more than 40 years maybe its time to apply for my 'proper' job. I quickly found that my hobby interest put me way ahead of the electronics graduates who knew the theory but had no idea which end of a soldering iron was hot.

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post

I dont know.

The only things that I see different in manufacturing is now everyone's making sanitizer and face masks.

JL...........
                              ​​​

Comment

Working...
                              X