Is this a facing tool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a facing tool?

This is a CTCPN TOOL holder I got years ago with some extra inserts. I need to cut 1/2" off the bottom if I want to use it because it's too big for my holders. I'm wondering if it's a facing tool?
    Thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by challenger; 05-17-2020, 12:53 PM.

However you like, turning, facing, or even boring on a larger hole. My small lathe lacks the hp to run that large a radius with a good chip load. Try and see what works for you.

Comment

Looks like a really wide grooving tool to me. :-)

Comment

There is enough of the insert sticking out of the side to use it for facing if you wanted to. Those TC---- inserts are also available with chipbreakers if you wanted a more sophisticated style. Taking 1/2" off the bottom to get your height will leave you with a very wide tool which will overhang your toolholder sideways, is that ok?

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
          There is enough of the insert sticking out of the side to use it for facing if you wanted to. Those TC---- inserts are also available with chipbreakers if you wanted a more sophisticated style. Taking 1/2" off the bottom to get your height will leave you with a very wide tool which will overhang your toolholder sideways, is that ok?
          Yes I thought about that. It's not ideal so I may remove som from the side(s) as well.
          It's hardened so my first attempt at trimming it down was a bust. I'm switching to a carbide end mill which, I hope, will hand it.
          Thanks

Comment

What size shank do you need and what size is your tool shank? I might have a smaller shank tool in the same style. Maybe we could trade?

Comment

I have a tool holder like that. To this day I've never found a use for it. I suppose you could bore with it, you won't be able to go very deep as you would be limited to how much you can hang out of your tool holder.
              The the diameter would be another issue as you have all that square shank hanging below the insert.
              It it doesn't really make a good boring bar.

So if someone knows what the manufacturer actually designed this for I would like to know.

JL..........

Comment

Originally posted by Illinoyance View Post
                What size shank do you need and what size is your tool shank? I might have a smaller shank tool in the same style. Maybe we could trade?
                I have 5/8" tool holders and this is a 1"that shank although I have milled part of the lower shank down some. I can provide a photo if you are interested.

Comment

Its not suitable for boring. There is not side enough clearance for boring. It is entirely suitable for facing. I don't normally use that style holder. Type C and type W inserts allow turning and facing with the same insert.

Comment

Chamfering tool . Could be used for grooves if lathe is rigid enough..

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                      Chamfering tool . Could be used for grooves if lathe is rigid enough..
                      How would you use it for chamfering? holes?
                      Note there is not much holding the insert from slipping out if you use the sides of the triangle insert..

It's mainly a facing tool but you can (a)buse it for other purposes too.

Comment

Chamfering - set it at 45 degrees and feed it in I suppose. It looks horrible to me - the clamp doesn't seem to reach nearly far enough onto the insert. Ian
                        All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Originally posted by Ian B View Post
                          Chamfering - set it at 45 degrees and feed it in I suppose. Ian
                          While its certainly possible to use it in that way almost all of my lathe tools are chamfering tools if you set them to suitable angle.

Comment

I'll let y'all know how it works for a facing tool. That's the only thing I'd use it for. If it's not good I'll Trask it.

Comment

it will turn just fine if set at a slight angle. have you tried?

Comment

Working...
                              X