No announcement yet.

Is this a facing tool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The grade is specified for cast and nodular iron. Maybe that explains something.

IMO that video sucks. A shear tool is a waste of time again IMO. Plus spending money and time as he did isn't practical. I made a great one by grinding a tooth off of a 4X3/8" mill cutter . It worked awesome and left near a mirror finish in CRS. Never found a use for it after making it but I wanted to do it for giggles.
    Last edited by challenger; 05-20-2020, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by challenger View Post
      The grade is specified for cast and nodular iron. Maybe that explains something.

IMO that video sucks. A shear tool is a waste of time again IMO. Plus spending money and time as he did isn't practical. I made a great one by grinding a tooth off of a 4X3/8" mill cutter . It worked awesome and left near a mirror finish in CRS. Never found a use for it after making it but I wanted to do it for giggles.
      I agree, it was a waste of time and not practical, but I don't remember any mention of any particular grade of carbide. Maybe I missed it. Being uncoated I would guess C6 maybe ?

JL..................

Comment

If you like the shear tool design there are a lot easier ways to do it as opposed to milling away all that hardened tool holder and destroying inserts and end mills in the process.

That roll die sitting on the carriage is cold rolled, with the right insert, DOC and feed I get an almost glass smooth finish. I can't feel any ridges in it.

JL......................

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
          If you like the shear tool design there are a lot easier ways to do it as opposed to milling away all that hardened tool holder and destroying inserts and end mills in the process.

That roll die sitting on the carriage is cold rolled, with the right insert, DOC and feed I get an almost glass smooth finish. I can't feel any ridges in it.

JL......................
          How often do you need that finish?

Comment

Originally posted by challenger View Post

How often do you need that finish?
            It depends on what I'm doing.

JL................

Comment

Working...
            X