Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baz
    replied
    Well I tried Chrome and managed to remember my login but now it won't let me log in on IE anymore. So it does look like they have removed bits of functionality from the pages. Now I have to work out how to save the site reference in this browser.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Originally posted by dian View Post
    you cant? you mean if i unplug this win 10 computer from the net in will crash? never tried it. oh, i have a win 7 laptop for engine tuning, it saw the net only once, when i downloaded the software.
    You can, but a lot of software wants to call home every so often to make sure it is still licensed, etc. Win 10 calls home for updates, and I think it gets grumpy if not allowed to.

Leave a comment:

• dian
    replied
    you cant? you mean if i unplug this win 10 computer from the net in will crash? never tried it. oh, i have a win 7 laptop for engine tuning, it saw the net only once, when i downloaded the software.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    "no longer supported", yes, thats why im using it. no updates to fukc it up. its my most robust computer, needs no attention, it just works. my other ones (2x win 10, dont remember whats on the laptops) continuously give me problems. this one, for example, has troubles with internet, i just had to click refresch 13 times until something happened. you cant even stop the updates lately, installed programs dont work unless you register somewhere, instead of doing work for you it keeps you busy with bull****.
    Whatever floats your watch......

it does rather make you stuck in the past as regards many programs, unable to read files made by later versions, and doomed to be able to reach less and less via the internet as time moves on. In those cases where the operating system was installed on the computer when you (or someone) bought it, you may be unable to re-install the OS if the hard drive quits, because it is hardware-tied.

I do not disagree that the computer works, although XP is far behind 7 in reliability. However you will find yourself marginalized more and more until you are no longer even on the margins.

I have a financial computer that runs XP, and all of that is irrelevant, almost, because it is not, and never will be, connected to the internet. You cannot do that very well with 7 even, let alone 10.

Leave a comment:

• dian
    replied
    "no longer supported", yes, thats why im using it. no updates to fukc it up. its my most robust computer, needs no attention, it just works. my other ones (2x win 10, dont remember whats on the laptops) continuously give me problems. this one, for example, has troubles with internet, i just had to click refresch 13 times until something happened. you cant even stop the updates lately, installed programs dont work unless you register somewhere, instead of doing work for you it keeps you busy with bull****.
    Last edited by dian; 05-19-2020, 10:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• wmgeorge
    replied
    I have two Windows 10 computers now and zero complaints after bitching about it for a couple of years before I made the switch. I never buy new, oops except the Intel NUC I just built up. My shop computers for CNC are on Windows 7 Pro. I took Edge out of the picture and use Firefox, no issues.
    Last edited by wmgeorge; 05-19-2020, 08:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    "no longer supported", in Microsoft-speak, means that tools will not be available to create compatible-with-XP new versions of browsers, and websites will stop supporting those older versions, for instance.

Whatever came with Win 8 "will soon have support stopped" by youtube. That means it might work for some things, but no guarantees. And most likely there is no replacement that will work on Win 8, let alone XP. I think XP went obsolete/unsupported before the last presidential election.......

So using ancient software is fine if you are satisfied to have things randomly not work because the software does not have ability to use some feature.
    Last edited by J Tiers; 05-19-2020, 12:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• PStechPaul
    replied
    Not a good idea if you are networked or connected to the internet.

Leave a comment:

• dian
    replied
    i use it every day. just right now, as a matter of fact.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    maybe you should try windows xp. it works well.
    As they were fond of saying at a previous employer, "not no more".

Leave a comment:

• dian
    replied
    maybe you should try windows xp. it works well.

Leave a comment:

• PStechPaul
    replied
    From Dogpile:

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/04/14/ho...-on-windows-7/

and

https://www.filehorse.com/download-microsoft-edge/

and

https://www.cloudwards.net/microsoft-edge-review/
    Last edited by PStechPaul; 05-19-2020, 12:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Sometimes the answer IS a new computer. I needed more power and more processors, for CAD and rendering, so I bought a mid-level gaming machine to replace the Dell M6300 that seems to have been made soon after the Norman conquest of England.

That old Dell runs Win 7, and happily worked with this site on Firefox.

Even the latest firefox is not perfect, or maybe it is the site. I still have problems returning from page 2 of a subforum. It often bypasses page 1 and goes straight to the main list. OK, another click and there you are.

The machine came with "Edge", and I almost never use it. I keep DuckDuckGo as the search engine there, and sometimes use that as an alternative to "Gargle". Edge has worked, I have not pushed it. I doubt it would work on Win 7, but you might as well try if you want to.

Leave a comment:

• PStechPaul
    replied
    I had problems with Microsoft Edge when I tried to use it on my new Win10 laptop. I just use it now as the default app for PDF files. I also had problems with the default email client for Win10, so I happily went to Thunderbird (also a Mozilla product).

Leave a comment:

• danlb
    replied
    Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
    You must be proud. I don't have any of that stuff. I don't know why you're on this thread. Your fix is to buy a new computer. We've heard that enough.
    I can't figure out who you are addressing that comment to. I suspect that you were directing it to me since I'd just quoted your post and gave a helpful hint that may fix your problem and also included a data point as to some alternative software that's working fine.

I have to laugh at the comment "your fix is to buy a new computer". I'm using a 4 year old dell laptop. My desktop machine is from around 2007. I'd be the last to suggest a new computer UNLESS your needs evolve and require new capabilities. That's the standard I use for computers, TVs and cell phones. As long as they do what I want, no need to upgrade.

But feel free to ignore my posts Ken. In exchange I'll try not to waste time trying to help you in the future.

Back on topic... does anyone know if Microsoft Edge (the supported web browser) works on Win7?

Dan

Leave a comment:

Working...
X