Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Made this insert holder for my radius tool.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made this insert holder for my radius tool.

Made this up in the last couple of days. A2 steel, hardened to C58.
    Worked nicely.

Very nice work ..

Comment

Pretty cool Sid. I'm curious about your machine and ball turning setup. If you have posted photos of it before I must have missed it. Would you throw in a couple photos of your setup. Thanks
      Had you been using HSS and decided to make the jump to insert tooling?
      Ron

Comment

show us how you make a sphere and preferably measure it?

Comment

Originally posted by nc5a View Post
          Pretty cool Sid. I'm curious about your machine and ball turning setup. If you have posted photos of it before I must have missed it. Would you throw in a couple photos of your setup. Thanks
          Had you been using HSS and decided to make the jump to insert tooling?
          Ron
          I use a lot of inserts mostly. I just needed this "special" holder to fit the Hardinge radius tool.
          Here are a couple of pics of it.

Dian- I think if you look at the pictures you can see how the tool works. As far as measuring it, are you really asking how do you get to a particular size desired?
          This tool allows you to adjust the cut in thousandths of an inch.
          So, it's just like any manual lathe operation. You start by removing a lot of material, stop, measure, adjust your cut until you get to the dimension your after.

Is that what your asking?

Sid

Comment

Very nice!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

i was wondering if you are able to make a complete sphere and how accurate it is.

Comment

Originally posted by dian View Post
                i was wondering if you are able to make a complete sphere and how accurate it is.
                You can't really make a complete sphere, at least not with out a little bit of a stub to hold the ball. Now, having said that, I'm sure that I could make most of the ball, cut off the stub and hold it in a collet or some other fixture method and complete the ball.
                Accurate? should be able to hit any desired dimension you want +/- .0005 (kind of kidding on that.
                I did see on the web, but never in person, that Hardinge made a similar, super precision lens cutting version.
                Now days, CNC makes a lot of this obsolete.

Thanks BF.

Sid

Comment

It is kinda odd, but I understand it....
                  The fact that outside of the rust belt and aerospace manufacturing areas
                  most people, even in the machinist trade, have never seen or heard of
                  a Hardinge lathe. I guess they just don't care, but I think they are living
                  under a rock.

-Doozer
                  DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                    It is kinda odd, but I understand it....
                    The fact that outside of the rust belt and aerospace manufacturing areas
                    most people, even in the machinist trade, have never seen or heard of
                    a Hardinge lathe. I guess they just don't care, but I think they are living
                    under a rock.

-Doozer
                    That's not the case in my area (SE) Hardinge is fairly well known, at least by anybody in the trade over 45 years old. I like them because when they come up at auction they sell cheap, nobody wants manual much anymore, mostly because nobody knows how to set one up, or cares to learn.
                    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I knew it was Hardinge just from the colour of the paint and the general style. The light grey is the most common. And that was before seeing the lathe itself with the giveaway flat bed.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
                        I knew it was Hardinge just from the colour of the paint and the general style. The light grey is the most common. And that was before seeing the lathe itself with the giveaway flat bed.
                        Actually, the grey is Rustoleum on the radius tool!! After I completely stripped of the old chipped paint and cleaned and refurbed the rest of the parts, I filled and primed and repainted that casting.

Comment

Originally posted by sid pileski View Post

You can't really make a complete sphere, at least not with out a little bit of a stub to hold the ball. Now, having said that, I'm sure that I could make most of the ball, cut off the stub and hold it in a collet or some other fixture method and complete the ball.
                          Accurate? should be able to hit any desired dimension you want +/- .0005 (kind of kidding on that.
                          I did see on the web, but never in person, that Hardinge made a similar, super precision lens cutting version.
                          Now days, CNC makes a lot of this obsolete.

Thanks BF.

Sid
                          i was asking, because a while ago i made a complete, flawless sphere as a present for my wife. (she didnt appreciate it too much.) tir was around 0.01 mm. the problem is i cant remember how i did it.

Comment

Originally posted by dian View Post

i was asking, because a while ago i made a complete, flawless sphere as a present for my wife. (she didnt appreciate it too much.) tir was around 0.01 mm. the problem is i cant remember how i did it.
                            Radius cutter for most of it, part it off leaving the little stick, then reverse it and hold it in a jam chuck to clean off the stick with the radius tool?

Comment

Working...
                            X