Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPC and tombstone welder wiring

Howdy All,

Decade ago I needed to fix the boom on a 1950s backhoe using an abandoned Century 250a DC / 295a AC tombstone that was not wired up at a place far removed from my workshop. Best I could tell, it needed 6/4 cable with neutral and ground bonded, which made little sense, but worked and I put 17 pounds of rod into it.

Looking to reuse that cable for my 10hp RPC here at home, and now understand the 4th conductor is only needed if a 120v line is required, which is not for either the RPC or any of my welders.

Any reason to not drop back to 6/3? I can certainly omit a conductor, but there's a 6" split in the outer insulation in the middle I'm not happy with and given basement workshop, would prefer house not burn down.

No clue what you are asking.

-D
    DZER

Comment

Hi AWS,

You will need the 4th "white" wire (which you should change to a phase color) if you use the green for a ground and are using it on the 3 phase side. The first question is what amperage is the 10HP RPC going to need? The amp rating for #6 awg SO cord is 45A at the 60* C column which is what most all breakers are rated for.

As to the split that you ask about, if it does not show any damage to the current carrying conductors (you DO NOT see copper) you should be fine. A good fix for this is heat shrink tubing that you slide over the outside of the cable and then heat it to shrink around the damage. this stuff is rated for the voltage and is a good repair for the outer casing damage.

If you can provide more details about he RPC maybe someone here can help with your questions.

TX
      Mr fixit for the family
      Chris

Comment

Just as you suspect, for 240V single phase, there is no need for the neutral unless there is a 120V load. Loads that are 240V only are fine with 2 wires plus ground. The input to an RPC is one such case.

So assuming you mean that, as it seems, you will not need the 4th wire.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

Just heat shrink tubing for power cables isn"t sufficient, nor electrical tape.
          https://www.controlbooth.com/threads/cable-repair.605/

Comment

Thanks for the sanity check, All. Having the Neutral in there wasn’t making sense to me, and I don’t recall why I wired the welder that way a decade ago.

I may just tuck this 6/4 cable on the shelf and pick up 6/3, as that’s all that is required.

As for the insulation, it’s a lengthwise slit a couple inches long and only in the outer jacket. I see no damage to the insulation on the wires themselves. No idea why it’s rotating the image...

Attached Files

Comment

I would seal that up with self fusing splicing tape. Water tight and voltage rated. I've used it on 480V wiring.

Mike

Comment

That looks like it is NMB cable sheathing vs SO cord sheathing. It does serve a roll in holding the cables together but for the situation of the picture shown, I say heat shrink or friction tape is going to serve you fine without any problem.

TX
                Mr fixit for the family
                Chris

Comment

Originally posted by AWS View Post
                  …..I may just tuck this 6/4 cable on the shelf and pick up 6/3, as that’s all that is required....

Mind blown !

-Doozer

DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

Mind blown !

-Doozer
                    Well, that sure is better than fuse blown, isn't it?

Comment

Blowing a seal will get you thrown out of the zoo.

-D
                      DZER

Comment

Blowing a seal will get you thrown out of the zoo.

-D
                        ROFL thats a new one on me 😂😂😂

Comment

My buddy actually got thrown out of the Buffalo Zoo for instigating a masturbation riot at the monkey exhibit.
                          No lie.

-Doozer
                          DZER

Comment

Mind blown !

-Doozer
                            Very helpful insight, Doozer. Very much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by AWS View Post

Very helpful insight, Doozer. Very much appreciated.
                              Just seems like spending money for nothing, but I dunno.

-D
                              DZER

Comment

Working...
                              X