New machine gloat (lots of pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

Yes, talking about low-end, poorly made hobby level chinese machines, gets you booted. Well deserved.
    Industrial machine discussion does not.
    But, under the for sale listing, introduction, South Bend is banned. or so they say

Comment

Originally posted by Ringo View Post

But, under the for sale listing, introduction, South Bend is banned. or so they say
      Yeah, I got no idea why. They have an entire forum for them. I think its just pretty arbitrary and its just whatever they feel like at the moment. Even the president of Grizzly has a login there, but he doesn't post often. I've ran across him before, nice guy.

I'm just happy I have a "real" one and I don't have to drool over their catalog any more. And besides the fact that I spent my whole career in machines, so being at PM is basically just like "work" for me. And HSM is "home".
      25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post
        Congrats! Now you need to find a home for the little lathe.
        I've actually been thinking about turning it into a tool post grinder or something. Not sure what I'll do with it yet.

Comment

Nice lathe. I woulda have passed on it for the sole reason of not wanting to be responsible for it's pristine upkeep. I'm more of a utilitarian type guy, and have no business owning something that nice lol. It's a beautiful machine though!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
            Nice lathe. I woulda have passed on it for the sole reason of not wanting to be responsible for it's pristine upkeep. I'm more of a utilitarian type guy, and have no business owning something that nice lol. It's a beautiful machine though!
            Oh, it'll get used, all right. But I'm kinda anal about keeping it clean and oiled and maintained.

Comment

Yeah, you suck!!
              Did you croak some old guy and take his lifetime collection.
              Very nice collection. JR

Comment

Nice buy, NSF, you can retire the 7 x 10 now, or find another use for it, maybe polishing things. I never quite finished the wrist pin you gave me, this lockdown really gets my goat, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
                  Nice buy, NSF, you can retire the 7 x 10 now, or find another use for it, maybe polishing things. I never quite finished the wrist pin you gave me, this lockdown really gets my goat, eh?
                  Are they locking you guys down harder over there? Around here they are strictly enforcing the number of people in public places, and face masks required. Otherwise things are much as normal. Many businesses have moved to entirely online, others have shut altogether. No real travel restrictions within the USA though. What shocks me the most is not having any Canadians over -- they are very much part of the scene here, I could walk across the border from here.

Comment

This is a fantastic find. It's like you stumbled on a machinist's time capsule!

Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                      This is a fantastic find. It's like you stumbled on a machinist's time capsule!
                      Thanks -- actually the previous owner found it, and it was surplus to his needs -- he already has several other lathes and restoration projects, and he didn't feel like doing any work on this one -- it was in his way, and he said he needed larger machines. So far as I know, its an un-restored original with very low miles/kms on it.

Comment

Exceedingly rare find this day and age. Well done and good on the forum member who offered it!

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                          Exceedingly rare find this day and age. Well done and good on the forum member who offered it!
                          Amen and indeed -- he was quite generous, I felt. And very enthusiastic about lathes in general. Last I heard, he just got a Model B a month newer than mine, to rebuild, and I believe he's also working on a gigantic tie-bar Hendey. Doing a most beautiful job of it, too.

Comment

I assume your SB9 has a 1 1/2" 8 spindle thread, just remember that when you think of reverse, it is not bolt up like the 7 x 10. The Atlas 12 x 24 which we are doing up to sell at the museum didn't have a decent chuck, so I have donated a 160mm chuck. The reason I want that one on the Atlas is because it only has inside and soft jaws, but it is in new condition. I was never able to find any outside jaws. I bought a CI backplate blank and threaded it 1 1/2 x 8, the same as yours. While I was doing it, I bored the chuck body slightly bigger to about 1.7", and now, a drawbar with a 1.65" end will fit and stop the chuck unscrewing when in reverse. The downside of that mod is the loss of the spindle bore.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
                              I assume your SB9 has a 1 1/2" 8 spindle thread, just remember that when you think of reverse, it is not bolt up like the 7 x 10.
                              Oh, I'm quite aware of that, it's not the D1 chucks that I'm used to. I hate to strain such an old machine, so I very rarely (almost never) use reverse anyway. One thing I learned quickly tho is that the 3-jaw weighs more than it looks! My fingers took the abuse (OUCH)..... since then I set a piece of wood across the ways.

I'm looking for some way to get a thread dial on it since I mostly work Imperial, but prices on South Bends are insane. So believe it or not I was shopping eBay UK for Boxford thread dials -- even with the shipping they would be far cheaper than the US part. I need something with 32 teeth, 24 pitch for a 3/4-8 lead screw.
                              Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 05-21-2020, 05:48 PM.

Comment

I remember reading on another forum that someone got an SB9 (or maybe 10) threading dial printed for him. Didn't last, but would be a good candidate for lost PLA casting - maybe Dan Dubeau would like that as a casting project. Just get some car batteries and you could do it in lead

Comment

Working...
                                X