X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    Originally posted by RB211 View Post
    Exceedingly rare find this day and age. Well done and good on the forum member who offered it!
    Amen and indeed -- he was quite generous, I felt. And very enthusiastic about lathes in general. Last I heard, he just got a Model B a month newer than mine, to rebuild, and I believe he's also working on a gigantic tie-bar Hendey. Doing a most beautiful job of it, too.

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    Exceedingly rare find this day and age. Well done and good on the forum member who offered it!

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    Originally posted by BCRider View Post
    This is a fantastic find. It's like you stumbled on a machinist's time capsule!
    Thanks -- actually the previous owner found it, and it was surplus to his needs -- he already has several other lathes and restoration projects, and he didn't feel like doing any work on this one -- it was in his way, and he said he needed larger machines. So far as I know, its an un-restored original with very low miles/kms on it.

Leave a comment:

• BCRider
    replied
    This is a fantastic find. It's like you stumbled on a machinist's time capsule!

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    Originally posted by old mart View Post
    Nice buy, NSF, you can retire the 7 x 10 now, or find another use for it, maybe polishing things. I never quite finished the wrist pin you gave me, this lockdown really gets my goat, eh?
    Are they locking you guys down harder over there? Around here they are strictly enforcing the number of people in public places, and face masks required. Otherwise things are much as normal. Many businesses have moved to entirely online, others have shut altogether. No real travel restrictions within the USA though. What shocks me the most is not having any Canadians over -- they are very much part of the scene here, I could walk across the border from here.

Leave a comment:

• old mart
    replied
    Nice buy, NSF, you can retire the 7 x 10 now, or find another use for it, maybe polishing things. I never quite finished the wrist pin you gave me, this lockdown really gets my goat, eh?

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    Yeah, you suck!!
    Did you croak some old guy and take his lifetime collection.
    Very nice collection. JR

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
    Nice lathe. I woulda have passed on it for the sole reason of not wanting to be responsible for it's pristine upkeep. I'm more of a utilitarian type guy, and have no business owning something that nice lol. It's a beautiful machine though!
    Oh, it'll get used, all right. But I'm kinda anal about keeping it clean and oiled and maintained.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dubeau
    replied
    Nice lathe. I woulda have passed on it for the sole reason of not wanting to be responsible for it's pristine upkeep. I'm more of a utilitarian type guy, and have no business owning something that nice lol. It's a beautiful machine though!

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    Originally posted by danlb View Post
    Congrats! Now you need to find a home for the little lathe.
    I've actually been thinking about turning it into a tool post grinder or something. Not sure what I'll do with it yet.

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    Originally posted by Ringo View Post

But, under the for sale listing, introduction, South Bend is banned. or so they say
    Yeah, I got no idea why. They have an entire forum for them. I think its just pretty arbitrary and its just whatever they feel like at the moment. Even the president of Grizzly has a login there, but he doesn't post often. I've ran across him before, nice guy.

I'm just happy I have a "real" one and I don't have to drool over their catalog any more. And besides the fact that I spent my whole career in machines, so being at PM is basically just like "work" for me. And HSM is "home".

Leave a comment:

• Ringo
    replied
    Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

Yes, talking about low-end, poorly made hobby level chinese machines, gets you booted. Well deserved.
    Industrial machine discussion does not.
    But, under the for sale listing, introduction, South Bend is banned. or so they say

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied

Yes, talking about low-end, poorly made hobby level chinese machines, gets you booted. Well deserved.
    Sometimes it bugs me: I wonder if its even possible for an American company to make entry-level machines any more. I'm sure many hobbyists would buy a different kind of machine but there isn't anything else available at that level. EDIT: wait, what about Taig and Sherline?

Leave a comment:

• reggie_obe
    replied
    Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

Yeah, That goes both ways, the PM guys rag on the HSM guys.
    And talking about anything chinese or HF will get you kicked out of there.

I find the South Bend forum to be the "friendliest" one over there. Also the Antique Machinery one.
    I don't go in their other forums unless I'm bored and taking the p1$$

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied

.....and yet, so many here rag-on PM members on a daily basis.
    Yeah, That goes both ways, the PM guys rag on the HSM guys.
    And talking about anything chinese or HF will get you kicked out of there.

I find the South Bend forum to be the "friendliest" one over there. Also the Antique Machinery one.
    I don't go in their other forums unless I'm bored and taking the p1$$

Leave a comment:

Working...
X