No announcement yet.

New machine gloat (lots of pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At this point I'm pretty much going to have to make one.... but the Atlas 10-12" (commercial model) has the correct gear. I may just snag one of those in the future, and make a housing out of bar stock that looks like South Bend.

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
      I had mentioned tilting the gear for cutting, I should also mention, I believe it should be plunge cut, so teeth are curved to fit screw with more contact.. could be wrong , but it won't wear fast.
      That's best for gears with some pressure on the teeth. I have done that, and assume it would be better in most cases, although cutting with a proper worm hob is the best.

I believe that all the SB thread dials had ordinary helical gears, no plunge cut. There is essentially no pressure and little wear involved.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

That's best for gears with some pressure on the teeth. I have done that, and assume it would be better in most cases, although cutting with a proper worm hob is the best.

I believe that all the SB thread dials had ordinary helical gears, no plunge cut. There is essentially no pressure and little wear involved.
        I have seen people use ordinary spur gear for them, and tilt the housing a bit to get the helix angle. But the problem for me is finding a gear that is wide enough not to get caught in the keyway and chewed up.

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

I have seen people use ordinary spur gear for them, and tilt the housing a bit to get the helix angle. But the problem for me is finding a gear that is wide enough not to get caught in the keyway and chewed up.
          If one gear is too thin, why not use two doubled up?

-js
          There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post

If one gear is too thin, why not use two doubled up?

-js
            Yeah its possible but I'd rather avoid that unless I have to.

Comment

Not a big deal, just pin them
              for appearance and to same time, you may want to buy a printed housing, and make or source a gear.
              Last edited by 754; Yesterday, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                Not a big deal, just pin them
                for appearance and to same time, you may want to buy a printed housing, and make or source a gear.
                Yeah, it would sure be easier, but what's the fun in that? I figured source a gear and make the rest. Probably learn a bunch along the way.

Comment

Working...
                X