Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the next step up from Atlas, SB, Logan threaded spindles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camlock is the commonest style for manual lathes, there are a number of sizes to cover pretty much everything.

Comment

Clausing 5900 is 12x36, L00, and can be had in single phase 240v. (5917 is 240v single phase, no clutch/brake, iirc)

Comment

Colchester Chipmaster or it's american branded cousin Harrison 10AA. 11x24 with a D1-3 A well retrospected lathe just a step below a HLV-H and a 10EE
        John

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

Dunno, did LeBlond have anything in that size class? They have a pretty good reputation. The only other name I know is Standard Modern.
          Standard modern 10" Utilathe seems like a great choice. Gear head, camlock. I saw a very compact 11" meant for a ship, it had the motor on the head and twice the normal number of gears. Was a bench mount though, no legs. I can't search up the auction anymore though.
          21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
          1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

I have a Clausing 5900 12x36, hardened bed, L00 spindle, 1 3/8" spindle bore and MT 4 1/2 spindle taper. It has 3 phase motor, but I love it, don't shy away from 3 phase. With a static phase convertor to start a 3 phase slave motor( then cut out static converter) you have an affordable rotary convertor that will "instant reverse". The 1 3/8" spindle bore is large enough for 5c collets, the MT 4 1/2 spindle taper is a little bit of a problem, but can be overcome. Be sure to get the steady rest, they are hard to find by themselves.
            Mike

Comment

I'd love a Monarch 16 CK. Three phase is ALWAYS preferable in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                I'd love a Monarch 16 CK. Three phase is ALWAYS preferable in my book.
                How about this? (notice the price...)
                https://hgrinc.com/productDetail/Mac...e/03200780002/

Comment

How about this? (notice the price...)
                  https://hgrinc.com/productDetail/Mac...e/03200780002/
                  That'll do, if it's actually a 14.5" lathe. I also need a bigger workshop. No way that lathe only weighs 3000 lbs. Nor do I need a 3rd 12" lathe.

Comment

That'll do, actually a 14.5" lathe. I also need a bigger workshop.
                    I knew a few guys yrs ago that would lease warehouse space on the cheap and divide it -- front end was their home, shop in back. Of course it was only 30 cents/sqf back then.... plus utils

Comment

that Monark for $1300 is tempting, except, how do you move it? how do you put it in a regular house garage?
                      how would you tell the wife?

Comment

Originally posted by Ringo View Post
                        that Monark for $1300 is tempting, except, how do you move it? how do you put it in a regular house garage?
                        I've moved a bigger lathe with just an engine hoist, and plumbing pipe gantry. Not recommended though. As for the wife, that's a bit trickier.
                        21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                        1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

She probably wouldn't like being hooked up the engine hoist

Comment

Originally posted by Ringo View Post
                            sell some other machines to make space, then rent a fork lift EDIT its only 3,000 lbs, just get a decent pallet jack for $300.

Comment

sell some other machines to make space, then rent a fork lift EDIT its only 3,000 lbs, just get a decent pallet jack for $300.
                              My 10EE is 3000lbs, this CK is a much larger lathe, probably 4500 to 5000 lbs

Comment

My 10EE is 3000lbs, this CK is a much larger lathe, probably 4500 to 5000 lbs
                                Maybe, the ad says 3050. At any rate, they do make pallet jacks to 5k, and they're a lot cheaper than a forklift

Comment

Working...
                                X