OT note from China

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
    Thanks for that link. I cant tell from the pix if it is a reversing switch. Can only see 3 contacts. I'm going to contact them for more info.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
      We have been spoiled by the cheap and free shipping for items coming from China, and it seems about time to "get real" and accept some reasonable shipping fees for such items. If you ordered the switch from Mouser or McMaster-Carr, you would be happy to be charged only $10 for a fairly large and heavy item like this. Plus you would probably pay twice as much for it. Why not offer to meet them halfway, and accept a $5 shipping charge. You get your item, and they probably break even.
      Why should he have to meet them halfway?
      Why should we continue to feed the chinese dragon?
      The Aussies are considering tossing the chinese off the port they have leased. A good start!

Comment

"Why should we continue to feed the Chinese dragon "
        -that is exactly the question here. .
        I suspect and It really comes into play here.. it's because it's CHEAP and PEOPLE have gotten used go it..

and my opinion, if I needed it and went to the effort to order it, and 10 bux would complete the deal , I would probably just pay that, get it coming , move on.. the re evaluate where I get my stuff from if need be.
        of course if the part were under 20.00 that might change things , but we don't have that info.,

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
          "Why should we continue to feed the Chinese dragon "
          -that is exactly the question here. .
          I suspect and It really comes into play here.. it's because it's CHEAP and PEOPLE have gotten used go it..

and my opinion, if I needed it and went to the effort to order it, and 10 bux would complete the deal , I would probably just pay that, get it coming , move on.. the re evaluate where I get my stuff from if need be.
          of course if the part were under 20.00 that might change things , but we don't have that info.,
          The price was $17.87 with free shipping. The same item was being offered by several vendors with prices ranging from $17.87 to $25.08 + $1.25 shipping, so of course I went for the best deal. I would order again from another vendor, but not willing to take a chance on having the same result. Paypal sent a note saying the money has been refunded but it may be a few days before it shows up on my credit card statement. Not a big $ deal, but a pita that I don't need.
          PS: The ship date was June 1 - June 29
          Last edited by Dave C; 05-22-2020, 02:46 AM. Reason: added PS
          “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Its almost funny. I am a hoarder, always been one. Years ago seems like some of you folks talked chit about me hoarding inexpensive metal. I did that thinking the boat will sail. So I stock piled. HSM size. Still. Just smalls. JR

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

Why should he have to meet them halfway?
              Why should we continue to feed the chinese dragon?
              The Aussies are considering tossing the chinese off the port they have leased. A good start!
              Unfortunately its a bit more complicated than that, ie China prolly owns the port, the city, the mines, and if China left Australia tomorrow, Australia would be temporarily fu##ed, like a few years worth.
              You can hate all ya want on China, but China has always just supplied the West with what it wants - cheaper and cheaper and cheaper goods.
              The West made it's bed, now its gotta get out of it rather than just lying in it....

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

I'm very interested in Geo. H Thomas' work, so I got his books,. Planning on getting the kit for the "Versatile dividing head" and maybe the Worden cutter grinder.

In the USA, there is the Metal Lathe toolbox (formerly MLA accessories) here: http://mlatoolbox.com/
                I'm very interested in their Die Filer kit -- its the same one that clickspring uses.
                Thanx, concur, you and me both.
                GHT was the prophet of the Commonwealth Model Engineering community, and decades before the internet, boy that man could write and take photos.
                Radford from NZ (a great friend of Thomas), also had a great mind and ideas and projects, but he could never get it down on paper quite like GHT.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                  I don't get the problems with shipping from the US to Canada. Just who is jacking up the prices? The Canadian government with fees and/or taxes? The shipping companies? Who?

The shipping companies and the required paperwork to get it across the border. No lie: there have been instances when items end up cheaper to send to Australia then get my niece to ship to Canada. Takes longer, but I'm cheap.

Comment

What if you set up a catapult in the US near the Canadian border, and have someone in Canada be available to catch the items and then distribute them as needed. Technically, neither the catapult operator nor the "catcher" are transporting the goods or crossing the border.
                    http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                    Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                    USA Maryland 21030

Comment

"What if you set up a catapult in the US near the Canadian border, and have someone in Canada be available to catch the items and then distribute them as needed".

Smaller items via drone??
                      S E Michigan

Comment

Working...
                      X